PDA

View Full Version : hello! , new poster and help needed please

T45
08-06-06, 12:25 PM
Hi new to this board and only riding for a year.
I bought an Sv 650s last year from Cupar [ they did a good deal] and I loved the bike, but living south of Glasgow I used Mickey Oates for the 4k service. They seemed ok , so the other day I noticed one of my rear indicators [k5] was hanging off and yesterday it was both. I had my mate following me and he said when I went over a bump or 2 they were loosening off and falling down.
I nipped in to Oates' on my way home and the manager guy said take it to Cupar and they will fix under warranty.I asked why he would not do it under warranty and he told me " I don't do warranty work on bikes I didn't sell".
I wish you'd told me that when you serviced it then was my reply.
I won't go back there and will probably use the dealer in Irvine.
Anyway has anyone used West Coast and is MO's policy the norm in biking?

:shock:

quikstu
08-06-06, 01:56 PM
Hello & welcome to the forum. Stick around as advice is second to none.

Re your question; I'm actually surprised that Mickey Oates even looked at you when you rode in on a Cupar bike as I was told by them that under no circumstances do they service or do warranty work on bikes bought from Cupar.

They seem to have a grievance about the (low) prices that Cupar are able to sell bikes at.
Officially any Suzuki dealership should do warranty work no matter where you bought the bike as long as it is not modded too much &/or damaged.

Take my advice & stick with Cupar, the service & prices are first class.
Albeit it may be a bit of a journey for a minor repair it is a great road through & back IMO.

Never dealt with West Coast Suzuki so cannot really comment.
Saying that I haven't heard anything bad about them.

If your indicators are coming loose it may just be the small bolt holding them on. I'd check this first.

Hope all goes well.

8)

independentphoto
08-06-06, 03:55 PM
Hello & welcome to the forum.

Take my advice & stick with Cupar, the service & prices are first class.
Albeit it may be a bit of a journey for a minor repair it is a great road through & back IMO.

Hope all goes well.

^^^^^^ What Stu said really. I bought my K5 from Cupar last year too and it'll be going there for it's 4k later in the year.

Cheers,

Garry 8)

northwind
08-06-06, 04:31 PM
I can understand why they wouldn't want teh aggro of raisign a warranty claim, but refusing to work on a Cupars bike just shoots themselves in the foot- how many people do you think back off buying from Cupars as a result? But they lose the revenue from servicing.

T45
09-06-06, 09:34 AM
Thanks for the help guys. I think I'll take your advice and use Cupar for the 7k service which is due soon.
Having only passed the DAS last year I'm not too clued up on all things bike yet :lol:
Indy, I'm sure we had a good look at each others bike at the egg run [I remember being jealous of the lowers] round about Anniesland cross. Was it you ?
Anyway I have taken drastic action and superglued the buggers, heres hoping :P

Keep an eye out for the blue k5 with the eejit aboard.

timwilky
09-06-06, 09:50 AM
Interesting username, you didn't drive an 1980s Leyland truck did you. IE T45 Roadtrain

T45
09-06-06, 10:08 AM
No Tim sorry. More to do with warships. :roll:

GDBD59
09-06-06, 09:15 PM
Thanks for the help guys. I think I'll take your advice and use Cupar for the 7k service which is due soon.
Having only passed the DAS last year I'm not too clued up on all things bike yet :lol:
Indy, I'm sure we had a good look at each others bike at the egg run [I remember being jealous of the lowers] round about Anniesland cross. Was it you ?
Anyway I have taken drastic action and superglued the buggers, heres hoping :P

Keep an eye out for the blue k5 with the eejit aboard.

T45, you might be better adding some epoxy adhesive (such as araldite) if it's on the plastics. It's stronger in most applications & you can have a seam - type joint.

Cam_73
09-06-06, 10:07 PM
Used MO's once or twice since got my K3 in march. Really just for sundries and bungs.

I found them to be lacking in customer service.

Lack of staff training with the two people on the occasions I was there.

I pretty much order everything online now.

As far as service, I'll enjoy my ride up the A9 to Pert MC's.

PS Welcome to the forum. :)

owenieboy
09-06-06, 11:17 PM
I went to MO for a new battery. They gave me the wrong one, so I had to go back the next day and pay an extra £10 for the right one. Wasn't too impressed and I'll probably go elsewhere in the future.

l3xus01
10-06-06, 12:45 AM
good discussion here as M OATES is a rip off fooker...i was needin tyres and it was nearly £40 dearer and that was only the back tyre :shock: sooooo the guys son mini mickey oates lives not a stones throw away from me soooo a was goin by his house the other day and seen him admirin my bike so a stopped and a said a didnt get it from him as it was a grand more and told him he was doin himself no favours as the web sites were startin to boycott his shop :shock: he said his shop was competitively priced :shock: a assured him it wasnt and he was losin customers...so put it about the various sites as he wont survive if nobody uses him :)

T45
10-06-06, 01:00 PM
Just an update to let you know the superglue is holding fast.
Got about 70 miles in yesterday over bumps and at speed [well not that fast officer !] and all appears well.
Think I'll take your advice and return to Cupar, certainly won't go near MO's.
I blame the solus dealer set-up as he has no real competition in the Glasgow area.
Still, time for the footy and a wee blast before dinner.

Cheers

scooby2102
11-06-06, 03:14 PM
I can understand why they wouldn't want teh aggro of raisign a warranty claim

have never really understood some business's logic of refusing warranty claims since its one important way of making money these days

some dealerships these days can make 6 figure labour claims per annum and it is viewed as a very important "profit centre"

even the parts dept get paid handling charges

as I say, some of these guys must be total ****witts if they cannot see this

have tried MO twice to change up, last time was back end of the year and there was exactly £1000 price difference :shock: in going to Cuper (Cuper cheaper obviously) although I never bought but just shows its defo worth shopping around

STRAMASHER
12-06-06, 08:46 AM
Hello and welcome T45. :)

I have avoided using MO for years unless completely necessary. The parts guy is a good fella but the rest ?I and pals have had shocking levels of poor service over the years. Mechanical and customer service.

Been starting to use WestCoast Irvine for a number of jobs over the last year for the SV and GSX and been happy with the two factors mentioned above. Still go to Cupar for servicing for both as they are so thorough. Heading up to Fife gets you a nice run if you head over Kincardine Bridge/Powmill/ StAndrews road(?). About 80 miles from Glasgow.

Have your indicator stems actually broke? Or have the nutts fallen off?

I will maybe have a look when I head over to the module hall, blue one innit!? :wink: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Andy
blue 03
(civilised side of the yard :wink: :lol: )

T45
12-06-06, 10:49 AM
Andy, the indicators sit flush with the tail housing and have 2 dowel like studs with the wires thru them. The indicator is the female so to speak. Its a crap set up but the old superglue seems to have done the trick. I thought someone else must have had this problem [ am I going too fast :lol: ]. Its not that big a deal but MO's attitude was a shocker for me and I will be back there when there's 2 suns in the sky :evil:

ps I crossed the great divide again so I will only be over a day here and there on a course.
If [edit sp] I had tail tidy like yours I wouldn't have this problem :lol:

Beaniebike
12-06-06, 08:24 PM
Me and OH got our bikes from West Coast - nice bunch of guys. Only had their first service, but certainly no compaints. Did a good job and stuff.

northwind
12-06-06, 09:11 PM
Worth mentioning that Saltire's workshop is staffed by some of the old Alvins crew, which is almost certainly a good thing. Get overcharged for labour, but at least it gets done. One thing is they're apparently not yet certified as a dealer from Suzuki though, so warranty might be dodgy. Also, the workshop's not massive, they've only got 3 benches so expect waiting lists.