PDA

View Full Version : Career change...

Jdubya
17-07-06, 08:09 PM
Anyone done this :?: Was it easy :?: Was it a smooth transition and are you glad you did it :?: I've just had enough of my current job and have tried different companies, different disciplines, etc. but have come to the realisation that it is what I do that most annoys me and that perhaps I made the wrong decision after leaving school :? Any advise would be greatly appreciated. I'm not too sure what I want to do yet but whatever it is will have to pay the mortgage and cover expenses. :? :?

TVR_Tracy
17-07-06, 08:18 PM
I've just had enough of my current job and have tried different companies, different disciplines, etc.

Examples of?

I'm away to ditch science (my safety blanket) next year and head to the city for something completely different (IT, finance or something else, I'm still undecided) I have an MSc in computing, so should be able to make that transition easier than other biochem graduates... I was a bit unsure at first, but talking to Rictus last week at the Guildford meet, I feel it is possible :) (Thanks Rictus).

Good luck J :)

lynw
17-07-06, 08:20 PM
Yes.
Sort of.
Yes.

If you know you're not happy then first of all you need to consider what it is you want to do instead. Give that a lot of thought and research before deciding.

Next consider what you have to consider how to do it. Do you need retraining/qualifications/certifications to show you can do the job? If so, consider how to get them - though I suspect studying while working will be the only option. However, consider most employers look favourably on getting qualifications while working - shows you can manage your time and commitments well and are prepared to put a lot of effort into it.

Also consider the cost of how to get those certifications and whether your family can afford it.

If you've got that far - then go do it. Something I can recommend. I havent as such changed careers, more had two running at the same time. I got my degree in computing but graduated in the IT recession in the early 90s with outdated skills. A year later VAT was the only thing I applied for and got, but I was auditing computer accounts systems with my background. I started the occasional training then and have been doing that on and off for the past 13 years alongside my VAT work.

Ive now shifted to ft IT training and Im enjoying it. I guess one benefit of getting into a department I dreamed of and doing something Im good at and enjoy. Thats not to say I havent enjoyed my time with Customs - it was varied enough to keep me doing different things. But if youre not happy, I can only say go for it.

As an aside, to anyone who wants a career change this may be worth finding out about. Some grades require a degree but some dont.

http://www.fco.gov.uk/servlet/Front?pagename=OpenMarket/Xcelerate/ShowPage&c=Page&cid=1113059303980 :D

Jdubya
17-07-06, 08:21 PM
I've just had enough of my current job and have tried different companies, different disciplines, etc.

Examples of?

I trained as a civil engineer working on construction sites setting out anything from bridges, buildings, railway tunnels, railway platforms, etc.

TVR_Tracy
17-07-06, 08:29 PM
Is there anything you'd particularly like to do? Are you mathematical? Confident on the computer? Good with languages? Artistic? etc

Lyn has some very valuable points there I might add, some of which I have noted :)

Jdubya
17-07-06, 08:37 PM
Is there anything you'd particularly like to do? Are you mathematical? Confident on the computer? Good with languages? Artistic? etc

Lyn has some very valuable points there I might add, some of which I have noted :)

Mathematical? Yes...
Confident on a pc? Yes...
Godd with languages?...can only speak two fluently but can get by with 2 more(just about anyway :lol: )
Artistic? Depends...I cant draw free hand to save my life but there are other things I enjoy doing that some may consider to be artistic :?

Ideally I would like to try and use some of the skills gained over the last few years working on sites, but that would obviously depend on the job requirements. I'm not too sure about full-time study as I have bills to pay and a family to keep. Mind, the missus doesn't earn too badly so if push came to shove, a short term study may be an option.
Regarding IT, I think the market is very flooded at the moment so it may not be the best choice :?

TVR_Tracy
17-07-06, 08:45 PM
You're lucky that you can rely to some extent on your wifes earnings.

But I can imagine it's quite a daunting feeling coming out your comfort zone, but good on you. You have to be happy :)

I guess ideally you need to see a careers advisor, is this an option?

Fluent in 2 languages, thats good for a Brit :lol: I have a basic understanding of German and Dutch and that's about it :lol:

timwilky
17-07-06, 08:47 PM
My degree is Mech Eng and I worked for 3 yrs as an R&D engineer and had made it to the companies top technical grade in those 3 years. I realised that engineers were badly paid, little scope for promotion in a comapny that employed over 400 graduate engineers and a further 1000+ with HNDs, HNC etc. So I got out into software development.

My first job was as an Analyst programmer for a company that manufactured real time cash counting machines and I had to write the back end systems to make a load of these machines produce meaningful data for the BT payphone counting houses.

It was a shock to the system. although in my previous job I had been developing control systems and data logging etc I had never had to think about real time, overlaying, comms etc and trying to cram it all into 128Kwords, including real time O/S, device drivers etc. I must havw winged it well in the probationary period, but learnt a lot quickly.

I still work in engineering environments but always within IT. At one time my whole development team were professional engineers first and software developers second. That way we talked the same language as our "customers" understood what they were asking for and why.

Viney
17-07-06, 08:48 PM
Im in the same boat.

Im a part qualified sparks, dont that for 4ish years, and been in reprographics now for the rest of my working life, approx 13ish years. I have worked for only 2 companies, but within 4 different companies. I just dont enjoy what i do anymore. I want to do something different, but havent a scooby as to what. All my fears are the same as JDubya, as in, need o earn an equivilent ammount to pay bills, etc, will it work, etc etc. Its just not easy. Im a very practical person. Im good with my hands, and basicaly a jack of all trades kind of person. Good with people, but have no one skill that stands out.

So, if you work out what you want to do, then let me know ;)

Jdubya
17-07-06, 09:42 PM
I'm glad I;m not alone here :D Just had enough of the bull that gets fed every day and having to kiss **** everytime you need/want something. Dont get me wrong, the team I am working with are a brilliant bunch of blokes and we could not have a better working relationship if we tried harder but the managers above us (the decision makers) all wear teflon coated suits while we get the white super-absorbent suits....and everyone knows that **** rolls off teflon and sticks to paper like the proverbial, well, paper :( I've been looking about and so far all the signs lead toward technical sales/back-up in the construction industry. Yes, I think a careers advisor would prolly be a god starting point but I need to sit down with the wife as well and we need to look at a game plan I suppose. If this had happened 7yrs ago it would be my and only my decision but now it involves a wife and daughter which makes it even harder :( I just really feel that I need to get out now while I still have a chance of building a career and a future elsewhere :?

Ed
17-07-06, 09:55 PM
Do a SWOT analysis and see what it looks like - be honest, else there's no point in bothering in the first place. Do you want a change of career - or just a change of job? I guess that your skills are transferable.

BUT - don't go thinking the grass is greener on the other side of the fence. It isn't, it can be equally hard and boring.

rictus01
17-07-06, 09:57 PM
As has been mentioned, I've had three non related careers, army motor mechanic, Ambulance Paramedic and currently Network consultant.

Although each has no apparent link they are or were enjoyable, once they stopped being so, I stopped doing them.

perhaps the easiest was the Army/ mechanic one, as once you've joined you can't back out to easily and I was around engines since I was born, the Ambulance one was something I hadn't considered when leaving the Army as it's one of the few services which doesn't recognize time served, unlike the police/fire service and others, although once again I was driven by the need to enjoy the job. a couple of years on the patient transport service and a lot of study got me to frontline emergency service and on to paramedic status, after 10 years with the same partner 14 year in the service (12 on frontline) I found myself more effected by the long hours and shift work, than the rewards the job had to offer.

two years night school, a bit of open university and a couple of industry qualifications (all paid for myself and in my own time) saw me on the interview trail, got a job, gave my notice in, (my wife thought me mad at the time, but knew my character wouldn't let me continue in a job I wasn't happy doing, so she supported me), brave? Stupid? Who knows but at the age of 39 years and 1 month I again changed careers.

it worked for me twice, each time I've had a mortgage hanging over me and a wife and kids to support, but have never let that constrain me, good investigation into what is needed to progress in your aimed for career and planning to get there are key, don't rush; think about it and what you can bring to the job perhaps the normal applicants can't.

Personally I've always been unable to give my best unless I enjoy a job; and think my quality of life would be eroded by the wrong job, you just spent so much time doing it.

Be realistic, investigate what the industry needs, what you can offer, what you can learn, what you are likely to get (sometimes have to start from the bottom) and then plan, do as much as you can whilst in your current job, and when you're ready; take the leap.

Good luck, I hope my advice helps, but above all remember, live isn't a rehearsal; you only get one crack at it.

Cheers Mark.

UlsterSV
17-07-06, 10:09 PM
I'm in the same boat lads...and I've only been working 3 1/2 years! Quit my job last week. Partly because something happened but mainly because I'm sick to the back teeth of it and my life as a whole. No point in being where you don't want to be and I didn't want to be sitting here in 20 years time wishing I'd had the balls to change things years ago. I have sweet FA qualifications so yes I'm looking forward to finding a new job :roll: But that can wait. I have a nice wee nest egg and bills aren't that bad so time is on my side. I'm lucky because I don't have anything to keep me here and I feel like I can do anything I want. But whether that's true or not, well, I'll find out soon enough I'm sure :lol:

Good luck Jdubya. Good luck Viney. :salut: And whatever you decide to do, enjoy it.

Jelster
17-07-06, 10:11 PM
Personally, I don't think you can have a full time job if you have no interest in what you actually do, you just couldn't give it the comittment it needs to make it more than "just a job". I have had one change forced upon me, the other was my choice, but all 3 carear changes have been into something I've had an intererest in.

I think you have to "take stock" of where you are now, and where you want to be and plan your career around that. Sometimes you get lucky and find something you're good at (mine was sales).....

Lissa
17-07-06, 10:21 PM
I had years in retail management and one day I just got fed up..............of having to be polite to ignorant customers, of area managers who made you do the work and then took the credit, and of doing a 60 hour week and getting paid for 39 :evil:

I waited until my area manager came in, dropped the shop keys in front of her, told her where to stick them, and walked out. I went home, looked in the local paper, found jobs advertised at the company I'm at now and phoned for an interview. Had the interview the next day, a Thursday. Had a call on the Friday, could I start on the Monday................the rest is history.

Walking out was the best decision I've ever made. I love my job...the challenge, the innovations, the very precise technical skills needed.............and best of all...............I don't have to deal with customers! :D

rictus01
17-07-06, 10:23 PM
BUT - don't go thinking the grass is greener on the other side of the fence. It isn't, it can be equally hard and boring.

I don't know Ed, sometimes it is, doubled my salary overnight, no shift work, and cut my working week by 3 hour, three weeks more A/L,there are of course down sides and admittedly I can't go any further in this career as I'm salary capped not having a degree (unlike my peir group), but I'm valued by the company and get perks above the norm, my current T&C are more than enough for me.

Cheers Mark.

Warren
17-07-06, 10:27 PM
I had years in retail management and one day I just got fed up..............of having to be polite to ignorant customers, of area managers who made you do the work and then took the credit, and of doing a 60 hour week and getting paid for 39 :evil:

I waited until my area manager came in, dropped the shop keys in front of her, told her where to stick them, and walked out. I went home, looked in the local paper, found jobs advertised at the company I'm at now and phoned for an interview. Had the interview the next day, a Thursday. Had a call on the Friday, could I start on the Monday................the rest is history.

Walking out was the best decision I've ever made. I love my job...the challenge, the innovations, the very precise technical skills needed.............and best of all...............I don't have to deal with customers! :D

so what job did you go to do ?

im in your shoes viney and jdubya.

Lissa
17-07-06, 10:35 PM

so what job did you go to do ?

im in your shoes viney and jdubya.

I went to work in a factory. I get to play with saws and routers and drills and rivet guns. All the cool stuff :D

aej
17-07-06, 11:28 PM
Just working a week's notice at the supermarket I joined 10 years ago. Even with a 6 year career break between the opening and closing 2 year spells, I decided last Friday night that I don't need that much aggravation in my life!

I shall use a variation of the 'plan' that's worked for me on previous such occasions - go on the holiday that's already booked for next week and, once I get back, think about what to do next. Temp work until I get an HGV licence is the current thinking, but that could change at any time.

Rob S (Yella)
18-07-06, 01:17 AM
I joint Royal Mail from school and spent 24 years with them doing everything from sorting and delivering and eventually into management.

But after 24 years I packed it all in to play with a train set. :),

WHY, it just happened, I think having an accident that nearly finished me off has given me a new attitude/outlook on life and the drive to do more of what I want with my life rather than just go along for the ride and see where I end up.

Overall the change was easy once I made the decision to do it, Not saying that the new job is easy, far from it but leaping from one carrer to another after 24 years was suprisingly easy once you take the plunge.

Tara
18-07-06, 05:56 AM
I left School and trained a chef did theat for a couple of years and retrained as a secretary it doesn't give me the challenge (i thought the part time dancing would do that but it didn't) i need or i wouldn't spend so much time on here but i have no idea what else i want to do

Demonz
18-07-06, 06:57 AM
I left school and hadn't a clue what to do. No career guidance and parents that offered little idea's and support at the time. One of the best decisions of my life was to go travelling, move out of the security blanket I was used too, and find there was more to this world than the town I grew up in. 4 years later i decided to go back and study tourism after finding that other young travellers were fun to be around.

Although the money was rubbish at first I only worked for small/medium size companies that were progressive and enjoyable. I was able to move around learning all the areas within the industry and business with the aim of setting up something myself in the future as having my own business was my ultimate goal.

Today I couldn't think of a better job. I work from home, the job is seasonal so lots of time off, I spend a lot of time with the kids and wife, no commuting and get to travel a lot. From a financial aspect we only really started pulling ahead once I was self employed as there was always a ceiling on how much my old employers were ever going to pay.

For me its been about goal setting. But working them out has always been the hardest thing. My best investment for this was on a set of Anthony Robbins CD's - the motivation speaker guru guy - as it takes you through how to make the changes you need. PM me and I'll lend you some copies if you want. It doesnt suit everybody but I know so many people that is has worked for now that would swear by the his words of wisdom. Rictus's comments remind me a lot of his - so I think you get the gist of what its about.

Jdubya
18-07-06, 12:11 PM
...Ta everyone!

GMonsta...you have a PM.
Seems to be more than just mein this situation. What is everyone else doing? I am seriously looking at other routes. Not sure about qualifications and stuff required yet but am looking at various options and opportunities. An interesting choice was train driver...never really thought about it but it is a long training period. Another option was plumbing but again involves a long training period with very little remuneration during training... :roll:

Nick762
18-07-06, 04:13 PM
Must be something in the air, I posted a similar thought a few months ago.

While I was at school I had some ideas about joining the army and was encouraged to go for a degree but in what was a bit of a problem not being particularly academic. I finally got onto a 2 year Dip HE course in Environmental Science, back in the early 80's long before it was trendy and anyone actually offered any related jobs in it and then took a final year to do a degree. Unfortunately for pure vanity I wanted a BSc rather than a BA which meant majoring in biology instead of geography, big mistake, crashed and burned scrapping a pass instead of any sort of honours :(

Also in the meantime I had changed my mind about the army, I spent a few years in London University OTC and those Welbeck types made my fists itch. Spent best part of a year looking for work and finally got into the Inland Revenue before moving or as I though of it at the time escaping, into computer engineering. Shortly after I got married to someone with the fiscal sense of an amoeba and thereafter could not afford to change jobs. Over the years I have become increasingly disillusioned with IT and am convinced that within 10 years people like me won't be needed. So, what to do next...

I have recently remarried and am in a much better financial postion, my wife agrees that now is probably the best time to retrain rather than finding myself redundant in my 50s, we can afford a short career break.

So far I have looked at taking up where I left off with my studies and finding something environmentally related. Surprisingly being a mature student seems to cancel out getting a lousy first degree and I could do a masters in something like GIS. There even seems to be a few openings out there - so long as you don't mind "travelling" and "living in arduous conditions"... Don't think wife would like that (me being away all time that is.) I'm also investigating a paramedic science foundation degree.

Most of my options involve a hefty pay cut (but I'd rather jump than be pushed at a time not of my choosing) and I guess one problem I will have is convincing a prospective employer why I am leaving a comparativley well paid job but looking around, I'm not alone, a lot of people, not just in IT, seem to be looking at retraining.

A few years ago I applied for a job as a faeces siever with HM Customs as was. Spent hours over that bluddy form. It was on of those which had a big section which asked things like "Describe three major projects you have worked on and how your contribution made them a success. Include examples of your skills in leadership, organisation and investigation." (OK, job was actually titled anti smuggling officer but one of the duties was sieving faeces, and they want to know all this info? Lynw, you used to work for that lot if you are looking in, is this normal?) Also had to include copies of all exam certificates, birth certificate, photos etc etc. Final package was like a telephone directory. Posted it and eventually got letter back saying I had missed the deadline (postal strikes at the time...)

rob13
19-07-06, 12:34 PM
it seems like theres a few of us in this boat - watch its not going to sink!

I started out in what i hoped to be my new career last august and thought it was the bees knees. Only in the last 2 months have i found myself thinking if i had made the right decision. The money is good, plenty of time off etc however the paperwork is astronimical, you take on a lot of **** every day and im finding myself becoming apathetic towards the job already. Im only 24 but also have the financial burden of a mortgage/car etc to cover.

Ive got a degree in Geology/Geography but as yet havent really put it to any use. I feel ive got myself into a bit of a rut this early on.

Jdubya
19-07-06, 12:52 PM
...The money is good, plenty of time off etc however the paperwork is astronimical...

So what is it that you do then...? :D

See, I can deal with the paperwork. Its the **** from other people and the long hours (out of bed at 05h00 then home by 19h30 with 3hrs travel if the roads are clear...M25 included) :( and having deadlines pushed upon you that are unrealistic.

TVR_Tracy
19-07-06, 01:03 PM
Ive got a degree in Geology/Geography but as yet havent really put it to any use. I feel ive got myself into a bit of a rut this early on.

I didn't know what I wanted to do when I graduated either, so after my batchelors in biochemistry (didn't have the guts for medicine), I realised I was totally fed up with lab work, so I thought about a career in computing. To make this a feasible option, I did a computing masters aimed specifically at non-IT bods. However during my masters, I realised that I wanted to stay in the science arena, and have both computing and lab roles. However, you can't really progress in science/academia without a PhD (the so-called glass ceiling effect), so that's what I'm currently doing, and again, I think I want to branch away from the lab. So next year, once I've added the last 3 letters to the end of my name, I will be heading into the city, I figure I can always go back to science if the city isn't for me, I mean I'm only 26, so I've got plenty of time 8) ...

I have the added benefit of no house... I have all those joys to come :?

minifun
19-07-06, 02:42 PM
We have someone with a geology/geography degree working at my place and we are looking for graduates! If you want an interview in Peterborough PM me!

Em

Quedos
19-07-06, 03:07 PM
I was in the same boat too.
4 years at Uni doing Hospitality Mgt specialising in Licensed Trade.
Medically retired 23 and nowhere to go.

Customer advisor, rental agent, civil servant, neighbourhood warden and projec devlopment officer - don't last long. though I really happy where i am now

UlsterSV
19-07-06, 03:13 PM
What did you have to do as a neighbourhood warden?

Jdubya
19-07-06, 08:12 PM
A lot of interesting comments and perspectives. Makes you realise what a diverse community we have here on the .org :D

rob13
19-07-06, 10:03 PM
...The money is good, plenty of time off etc however the paperwork is astronimical...

Im a copper

Warren
19-07-06, 10:16 PM

Im a copper

sorry, that made me laugh.

rob13
19-07-06, 10:23 PM

Im a copper

sorry, that made me laugh.

Why was it obvious?