PDA

View Full Version : Maximum Working Temperature

Tara
18-07-06, 01:10 PM
is there one? we have the guys working on site with long trousers on and tee shirts and i just wondered if there was a maximum temp. i know there is a minimum one

1world2wheels
18-07-06, 01:12 PM
My understanding is there isn't. Just have to provide water and, I've heard, salt tablets (?!)

TVR_Tracy
18-07-06, 01:12 PM
Whilst British legislation does not set a maximum working temperature, it is interesting that the World Health Organisation recommends a maximum air temperature of 75°F/24°C for workers to work comfortably.

Taken from http://www.bfawu.org/health-temperature.htm

Mogs
18-07-06, 01:13 PM
I dont think there is one, but if there were I bet we haven't reached it.

Marshall
18-07-06, 01:15 PM
My understanding is there isn't. Just have to provide water and, I've heard, salt tablets (?!)

Yeah ive heard that too.

Whilst British legislation does not set a maximum working temperature, it is interesting that the World Health Organisation recommends a maximum air temperature of 75°F/24°C for workers to work comfortably.

Taken from http://www.bfawu.org/health-temperature.htm

i wish, but my bosses are nazis and like torturing us

carty
18-07-06, 01:16 PM
I'm not sure there is a maximum one but its over 30 in the office where I am now. Couple of fans pushing hot air around but no air-con. I've just been for a walk up the road where some guys are resurfacing a road, all with their tops off, red raw and still working! Fair play to them but they really could do with some sun cream!

M65
18-07-06, 01:19 PM
An email I received from the Health and Safety Executive asking the exact same question about 10 days ago.

Dear Mr Harrison

Thank you for your email firstly there is no upper limit for temperature in any workplace in the UK. However, HSE have web based guidance which you may find useful to refer to and this is located at:

http://www.hse.gov.uk/temperature/thermal/

The relevant legislation for thermal comfort issues is contained within The Workplace (Health, Safety and Welfare) Regulations 1992 and Regulation 7 deals specifically with the temperature in indoor workplaces it states
that:

'During working hours, the temperature in all workplaces inside buildings shall be reasonable.'

However, the application of the regulation depends on the nature of the workplace, such as a bakery, a cold store, an office, a warehouse.

The associated ACOP ( Workplace health, safety and welfare. Workplace (Health, Safety and Welfare) Regulations 1992. Approved Code of Practice ) goes on to explain:

'The temperature in workrooms should provide reasonable comfort without the need for special clothing. Where such a temperature is impractical because of hot or cold processes, all reasonable steps should be taken to achieve a temperature which is as close as possible to comfortable. 'Workroom' means a room where people normally work for more than short periods.

The temperature in workrooms should normally be at least 16 degrees Celsius unless much of the work involves severe physical effort in which case the temperature should be at least 13 degrees Celsius. These temperatures may not, however, ensure reasonable comfort, depending on other factors such as air movement and relative humidity.'

Where the temperature in a workroom would otherwise be uncomfortably high, for example because of hot processes or the design of the building, all reasonable steps should be taken to achieve a reasonably comfortable temperature, for example by:
insulating hot plants or pipes;
providing air-cooling plant;
shading windows;
siting workstations away from places subject to radiant heat.

Where a reasonably comfortable temperature cannot be achieved throughout a workroom, local cooling should be provided. In extremely hot weather fans and increased ventilation may be used instead of local cooling.

Where, despite the provision of local cooling, workers are exposed to temperatures which do not give reasonable comfort, suitable protective clothing and rest facilities should be provided. Where practical there should be systems of work (for example, task rotation) to ensure that the length of time for which individual workers are exposed to uncomfortable temperatures is limited.

You could also ask your employer if they have carried out a thermal risk assessment. Also it may be useful to bring to there attention the Guidance on the website and HSE would recommend that in the absence of specific guidance the minimal acceptable evidence for compliance with the law on thermal issues for employers would be working to British standards as identified on the website. The pertinent standards are:

BS EN ISO 7730: 1995 Moderate thermal environments. Determination of the PMV and PPD indices and specification of the thermal conditions for thermal comfort British Standards Institution

This standard covers local thermal discomfort (where parts of the body are too warm or too cold); draughts (unwanted local cooling of the body caused by air movement); asymmetric thermal radiation (where thermal radiation coming from one or more directions causes discomfort); vertical air temperature differences (where the difference in vertical air temperature causes thermal discomfort); and contact with hot and cold surfaces causing local discomfort.

BS EN ISO 10551 Ergonomics of the thermal environment - assessment of the influence of the thermal environment using subjective judgment scales

I trust this helps you in addressing your concerns if not please contact me again to discuss further.

Viney
18-07-06, 01:23 PM
So thats a no then mark ;)

M65
18-07-06, 01:23 PM
So thats a no then mark ;)

I like to be thorough!! hee hee :lol:

Tara
18-07-06, 01:55 PM
Thanks Guys :cry:

K
18-07-06, 03:25 PM
Where, despite the provision of local cooling, workers are exposed to temperatures which do not give reasonable comfort, suitable protective clothing and rest facilities should be provided. Where practical there should be systems of work (for example, task rotation) to ensure that the length of time for which individual workers are exposed to uncomfortable temperatures is limited.

Now that bit's interesting.

In say, an office, where local cooling has been provided (eg; fans) you seemingly have the right to offer up alternative when the weather is still too hot.
So where practical - flexi-time for cooler hours of the day - or even working at home if you can prove that it's both practical and considerably cooler there could be possibilities in certain circumstances.

northwind
18-07-06, 04:15 PM
When you think about it, a maximum wouldn't make much sense- what's roasting for an office would be normal for a foundry. We all nearly got sent home yesterday when the aircon broke- our office is basically a massive greenhouse, and the central light shaft means all teh hot air ends up in our area :roll:

kwak zzr
18-07-06, 04:17 PM
our work dished out free cold drinks today :? they wouldnt do that if they didnt have to.

Abyss
18-07-06, 04:26 PM
Last year our office was un bearable, we have sets of windows on 3 walls and sun on atleast one of them all day. 9 people in a room designed for 4 and each person with 2x computers. We couldnt open the windows because we have a call centre section and there was construction work going on outside.

Thanks to that hell of a summer we now have air conditioning this year!! :D still not enough space but alteat its cool... well it is for the people in the office at the moment, Ive had 2 weeks off and still got the rest of the week off so sitting at home roasting.

Edit: Oh just a note, when I worked at Gamestation it was SOOO hot, no windows in the shop, very long low store, lots of TV screens and consoels on 24/7 etc etc. When the director of the company came down (on a cool day) he said "wow its hot" and we asked about Air Conditioning... he replied with "Well, I could put air condidtioning in all my stores or I could open 50 more stores. What would you do" and then walked off.

timwilky
18-07-06, 04:30 PM
A few years ago, I nipped out and bought 32 cornettos for my staff as it was damm hot. Put them on my expenses and the bean counters rejected it. Lesson learnt.

We had a design office where when it got too hot to be compfortable they turned off all the CAD systems as they were contributing to the excess heat in the office. The company soon put in AC. These days I think they would simply suspend the last few remaining staff without pay uintil they agreed to work normally.

fizzwheel
18-07-06, 04:38 PM
My company let everybody for who it was feasable work flexi time so they could come in early and work when it was cooler.

My employer is pretty reasonable they've put in extra cooling fans and allow people to take more breaks and have provided cool drinks etc in the past.

Its been so hot today our datacentre air con broke down. It got confused because the ambient temperature is so hot it shut itself down :shock:

Lissa
18-07-06, 05:02 PM
Been pretty awful at work for me today. Even just standing at my bench working out a cutting list I was dripping with sweat. :cry:

Mind you, it doesn't help that I have a hot glue gun right next to me which has to be running at 163 degrees...................great in winter when it's cold.................torture at this time of year :?

lynw
18-07-06, 05:16 PM
While theres no maximum and from the hse site there is the issue of heat stress. If your work environment is too hot to be comfortable you run the risk of your health being affected by said heat stress. In those circumstances the company is obliged to do something to a. eliminate the problem, b. address the problem so your environment is comfortable, or c. let you leave.

Im sure if anyone complains mention the words "heat stress", "ill health from working environment", "sue for damages for making me ill". Bet you the beancounters will sort something out if they know this. The HS legislation is designed to protect you at work and thats from the risk of ANY stress or illness due to your working environment. It may not be set in stone as a maximum, but it is covered by legislation meaning your environment should not make you ill.

Im raising this at the moment as the heat has caused mega-migraines to onset in the past 2 weeks.

ArtyLady
18-07-06, 05:32 PM
Ive been really ill today from the heat - totally overheated and migraine so I asked my boss for the day off (me :roll: ) and just sat in front of the fan all day but didnt get any sick pay :cry:

adamfool
18-07-06, 07:04 PM
it was 40degrees (104F) in the shop today, customers are really going to want to try on leathers in that arn't they??!!..... :shock:

SV Ste
18-07-06, 08:12 PM
You think an office is warm, I work for a large automotive manufacturer in a body shop with over 400 working robots. Hot does not decribe it. We have had things tripping out all over. Thats excluding the workers!. No aircon + No circulating air = mega heat. The furnace comment by northwind is probably closet to it.

Tris
19-07-06, 11:38 AM
IIRC in Dubai, if it "officially" gets over 50C everyone gets to go home.

Trouble is it NEVER "officially" gets to 50C 8)

You usually do the Aircon shuffle

Hotel -> Car -> Office -> Car -> Resturant -> Car -> Hotel

With the time between man-made constructions being kept to the bare minimum!!!

chazzyb
19-07-06, 01:35 PM
35 here at my desk now... :(

Flamin_Squirrel
19-07-06, 01:54 PM
When you think about it, a maximum wouldn't make much sense- what's roasting for an office would be normal for a foundry.

It could be defined differently for different areas. But given the governments record with building regs, they'd probably bugger it up.

Moo
20-07-06, 10:59 AM
Our work shop hit 31 degrees yesterday over the last year we had a long running arguement with the management about the temperature it dosen't go below 26 degrees even in winter, turns out that the cooling system wont go down below 24 degrees. All the co called cooling system has been doing this week is taking the hot air from outside and pumping it in to an already hot workshop.
Eventually after thing came to a head this week which nearly ment a withdrawal of labour we're getting some fans delivered on monday :roll: .
Top tip to any managers on the site if your workers aren't comfortable there is a higher risk that a mistake can happen.

the_runt69
20-07-06, 11:24 AM
went to work yesterday and it was a cool 19'C in the office, took my jacket off and nearly froze when the cold air hit the sweat.
24 desks with at least 2 computers each and they fixed the aircon last month so its nice and cool. We're getting people from other offices "visiting" just to cool off as we have the only decent aircon on the floor as the rest is open plan and really hot.

H