PDA

View Full Version : New child seat laws

nickj
19-07-06, 01:31 PM
Am i only one that thinks this is going a bit far?

http://www.thinkroadsafety.gov.uk/campaigns/childcarseats/childcarseats.htm#01

From September any child under 12 or 135cm (4.5ft) must have a booster seat, imagine trying to convince an 11 year old that they must sit on one of those :roll:

kciN
19-07-06, 01:38 PM
Have you noticed how it's dropped from 1.5m to 1.35m.
That's going backwards, if I've read that right... :shock:

IE a child can now be unrestrained at a smaller height than before?

Stu
19-07-06, 01:43 PM
I whole heartedly agree with the new regulations and am glad that the law is being changed to support me in requiring my children to use a booster seat.

I do not see any of the new requirements as being unreasonable. Edit - actually the new requirements are pretty weak.

(PS I am not joking)

Flamin_Squirrel
19-07-06, 01:49 PM
I whole heartedly agree with the new regulations and am glad that the law is being changed to support me in requiring my children to use a booster seat.

I do not see any of the new requirements as being unreasonable.

(PS I am not joking)

You require government support before you'll protect your children? :?

Stu
19-07-06, 01:51 PM
No, but I can use it to convince my children to do what I want.

I don't always get my children to do everything I say - do you?

coombest
19-07-06, 01:54 PM
So - what does that mean for Midgets?

I'm not being nasty or rude here, but I am just curious?

I have a friend who is 4'2"

Does this mean she'd have to use a booster seat!??

What about when she drives her car!!?? :shock: :?

Stupid, just stupid!

Jabba
19-07-06, 01:55 PM

Depends on the size of the stick I'm carrying :lol:

Actually, most of the time they just laugh at me and call me "slaphead" :roll:

MattTheLoony
19-07-06, 01:57 PM
So what happens when you are taking a friends child in the car along with yours? Or you are an uncle/auntie taking the kids out for the day?

Must everyone have the booster seats in the boot of the car, just in case?

I agree with the reasoning but perhaps the onus should be put on car manufacturers to have a more adjustable seatbelt or something?

Lou M
19-07-06, 01:57 PM
My daughter does everything I say, she knows how long I'd ground her for if she didn't.
And I don't go back on it - I write it on the calendar so she knows when she'll have freedom.

You parents must be a bit stricter, I disciplined Eve from day one.

Carsick
19-07-06, 01:58 PM

Stupid, just stupid!
These rules don't apply to adults.

nickj
19-07-06, 01:58 PM

Stupid, just stupid!

LOL :lol: :lol: By law your friend won't have too as long as she's over 12 but in theory they must be saying that she is not safe with just an adult seat belt.

Viney
19-07-06, 01:59 PM
Am i only one that thinks this is going a bit far?

http://www.thinkroadsafety.gov.uk/campaigns/childcarseats/childcarseats.htm#01

From September any child under 12 or 135cm (4.5ft) must have a booster seat, imagine trying to convince an 11 year old that they must sit on one of those :roll:

No i dont. I see too many kids running around loose in the back of cars. Kids should be strapped in, sat down, and quiet.

Flamin_Squirrel
19-07-06, 01:59 PM

I'm going to appologise in advance, because this is going to sound rude.

But, if you need some git in government to do your parenting for you, you have some serious problems. You chose to be a parent, and the state is NOT there to absolve you of your responsibility as one.

coombest
19-07-06, 02:00 PM

Stupid, just stupid!

LOL :lol: :lol: By law your friend won't have too as long as she's over 12 but in theory they must be saying that she is not safe with just an adult seat belt.

Py point precisely!

I suppose I should have said "Should she be using a booster seat", rather than would she have to!?

Carsick
19-07-06, 02:00 PM
No i dont. I see too many kids running around loose in the back of cars. Kids should be strapped in, sat down, and quiet.
In that case, this will make FA difference. The law has always required 3-11 year olds to be restrained in some way. The main changes in the new laws are that they specify that a specific child seat must be used for small children.

Carsick
19-07-06, 02:01 PM
Py point precisely!

I suppose I should have said "Should she be using a booster seat", rather than would she have to!?
Dude, at 4'2" there's a distinct possibility that she should be using one.

MattTheLoony
19-07-06, 02:01 PM

Stupid, just stupid!
These rules don't apply to adults.

What about under 12s that are over 5 foot. Surely it starts becoming dangerous at the other end of the scale?

nickj
19-07-06, 02:03 PM
I compltely agree with kids being strapped in and i think there we're too soft on people that don't restrain their kids but i think 4.5ft is too tall.

Imagine a lad who's 11 and prob gets stick anyway for being a bit short now having to turn to school sitting on a booster seat

coombest
19-07-06, 02:04 PM
Py point precisely!

Dude, at 4'2" there's a distinct possibility that she should be using one.

You can tell her then! :lol:

She may be small but I wouldn't argue with her (I'm just over 6') Her husband is about 6'4" and I'm not scared of him... But her - jeez!!

Come to think of it, I'm not sure what she does when she drives - never really paid that much attention to it!! :lol:

mattSV
19-07-06, 02:08 PM
nickj wrote:-

Imagine a lad who's 11 and prob gets stick anyway for being a bit short now having to turn to school sitting on a booster seat

The lazy little bugger should walk - he might grow a bit then :wink:

Stu
19-07-06, 02:09 PM

But, if you need some git in government to do your parenting for you, you have some serious problems. You chose to be a parent, and the state is NOT there to absolve you of your responsibility as one.

:lol: - I don't think one or other of us is actually getting their point across on an internet forum. But it's all good.

nickj
19-07-06, 02:10 PM
nickj wrote:-

The lazy little bugger should walk - he might grow a bit then :wink:

:lol: :lol:

Stu
19-07-06, 02:12 PM
So what happens when you are taking a friends child in the car along with yours? Or you are an uncle/auntie taking the kids out for the day?

I agree with the reasoning but perhaps the onus should be put on car manufacturers to have a more adjustable seatbelt or something?

Why not give a car seat to whoever you are giving your child to - is that difficult?
(Plus it's allowed for in the new regs.)

Flamin_Squirrel
19-07-06, 02:13 PM

:lol: - I don't think one or other of us is actually getting their point across on an internet forum. But it's all good.

I dont think so? I'm pretty sure I understand what you're saying. You like this idea because it makes your job as a parents easier, correct?

Stu
19-07-06, 02:19 PM
Yes
and I do generally always have them in booster seats, but this might save some arguing beforehand.

Flamin_Squirrel
19-07-06, 02:47 PM
Yes
and I do generally always have them in booster seats, but this might save some arguing beforehand.

Uhuh. And like I said, you've taken on the responsibility of parenthood - it isn't the governments job to make it 'easier' for you.

Lou M
19-07-06, 02:57 PM
What you should do with your offspring is what I do if I have a passenger in the back of my car.
Whoever it is gets the 'we're not moving anywhere until you've got your seatbelt on'. Had to say it to a colleague last week, he ended up being more embarrassed than me.

Therefore, no booster seat, no going anywhere.

andyaikido
19-07-06, 03:01 PM

Perhaps the booster seat could be surgically attatched to all children at birth and this would cease to be an issue.

Quedos
19-07-06, 03:02 PM

Why not give a car seat to whoever you are giving your child to - is that difficult?
(Plus it's allowed for in the new regs.)

Highly dangerous as not every seat fits every type of car and the regs are actually asking for those under 12 or 135cm to be restrained but they do not like booster cushions. Car seats are designed to take children all the way up to 135cm. Difficult to enforce - I've just completed my training on the new regs and fitting of car seats last week.

Carry cots are also not allow to sit across the back seat anymore. and every child must have a restraint thereby some families may have to buy bigger cars to accomodate this reg. At present not enfocrabl by points but they are looking at this closely ( at the moment if a child is killed while not be restrained in a RTC is not manslaughter as its not a 3rd person life)

Oh I'm such a sad git!!
TAXI

Stu
19-07-06, 03:05 PM
What you should do with your offspring is what I do if I have a passenger in the back of my car.
Whoever it is gets the 'we're not moving anywhere until you've got your seatbelt on'. Had to say it to a colleague last week, he ended up being more embarrassed than me.

I really don't want to carry this on way past it's sell by date.
But, what if you want to go more than they do? pretty common eh? ("We're not going to school if you don't put your seat belt on" - "Sounds good to me Dad")

Peter Henry
19-07-06, 03:10 PM
Throw the mites in a cage type trailer and tow em along behind yer. Put a stop to crisps and sweet wrappers all over the place! :wink: :P

Stu
19-07-06, 03:16 PM
[
Highly dangerous

Is this not a bit strong - in the majority of cases are we not talking about just a booster seat (and if not I thought car seats were fairly universal)

[/quote]but they do not like booster cushions. [/quote]

Why?

[/quote]and every child must have a restraint thereby some families may have to buy bigger cars to accomodate this reg. [/quote]

and why not? -

Lou M
19-07-06, 03:17 PM
I have missed out on things myself because of my daughters behaviour.
The other night we were going sailing, she misbehaved, so we didn't go. I certainly regretted it, but if I'd backed down she would never learn.

Oh yes, and getting to school, she walks - I don't believe in going to the 'better school across town', if our local school was that bad it would have been closed down.

Flamin_Squirrel
19-07-06, 03:24 PM

I really don't want to carry this on way past it's sell by date.
But, what if you want to go more than they do? pretty common eh? ("We're not going to school if you don't put your seat belt on" - "Sounds good to me Dad")

That's a situation that's up to you as a parent to deal with.

I really dont understand how you could possibly mistake the necessary evil that is the government with a benevolant organisation there to make your decisions for you.

Spiderman
19-07-06, 03:36 PM
Interesting thread people, but not having kids myself i dont feel in a poition to comment really as i cn see both sides of the issue here.

However i would say this, why dont govt enforce other road safety legislation more actively before they go passing new equaly difficult to enforce laws.

How about enforcing the mobile phone laws for a start, i'm sure that would save more lives than this silly new law.

Lou M
19-07-06, 03:37 PM
Interesting thread people, but not having kids myself i dont feel in a poition to comment really as i cn see both sides of the issue here.

However i would say this, why dont govt enforce other road safety legislation more actively before they go passing new equaly difficult to enforce laws.

How about enforcing the mobile phone laws for a start, i'm sure that would save more lives than this silly new law.

:winner:

Swiss
19-07-06, 03:38 PM
Squirrel - shhhh.

Tara
19-07-06, 03:39 PM

:winner:

thats the one i would enforce too

Flamin_Squirrel
19-07-06, 03:43 PM

Of course you're in a position to comment. You've a sensible head on your shoulders - you already know it'll be difficult to enforce and have little to no benefit to road safety.

It's just another utterly useless peice of legislation that'll do nothing to achieve its claimed goals, but will prove to be another strangle hold over us and our wallets.

Flamin_Squirrel
19-07-06, 03:45 PM
Squirrel - shhhh.

Why?

Stu
19-07-06, 03:49 PM
Squirrel, do you seriously not have a good word to say about anything the Govt. has done or laws in this country?

Flamin_Squirrel
19-07-06, 03:52 PM
Squirrel, do you seriously not have a good word to say about anything the Govt. has done or laws in this country?

I'm sure not every decision they've made has been a bad one.

But any good work they've done pales into comparison compared to the damage they're doing. I'm more dismayed by the general populaces acceptance of it, however.

MattTheLoony
19-07-06, 04:02 PM

Or introduce one to stop people smoking at the wheel. Much more dangerous than a mobile phone IMO.

TVR_Tracy
19-07-06, 04:09 PM
Or introduce one to stop people smoking at the wheel. Much more dangerous than a mobile phone IMO.

hmmm I don't agree... you don't actively concentrate when your smoking, you hold a fag, put it in your mouth etc etc... bit different to using a mobile phone, you have to concentrate on talking/conversation which takes your mind off the road... The two are completely different... but hey that's my 2 cents and I'm sticking to it. :twisted:

Spiderman
19-07-06, 04:12 PM

Of course you're in a position to comment. You've a sensible head on your shoulders - you already know it'll be difficult to enforce and have little to no benefit to road safety.

It's just another utterly useless peice of legislation that'll do nothing to achieve its claimed goals, but will prove to be another strangle hold over us and our wallets.

I meant that in having to deal with the kids side of it i have little or no experience. When it comes to govt incompetance tho - you know i'm fully on your side FS.

Matt... do you really think it is? I used to smoke when driving and before the laws come into force i also used to use a handheld mobile while driving.
In my own experience i found that when on the fone (even with a hands free kit) about 50-80% of my concentration was on the call at hand, but when smoking i wasnt really distracted from the road at all.
Also far easier and socialy acceptable to drop a fag out the window if you need your hand than it is to fling your expensive mobile with all the contacts in it out the window and leae your caller saying "hello?.....hellloooo?