PDA

View Full Version : Bloody Gritters!!!

furrybean
19-07-06, 04:35 PM
Came back from Birmingham this morning and opened up for a play on Long Hill. After a perfectly clear road the first corner was covered in dusty grit... Very slippy! Saw him coming the other way and I politley waved but my gloves stuck and only one finger was free. :toss:

Shouldn't they put some sort of signage up if they have to do this to warn peeps? Crazy!

kwak zzr
19-07-06, 04:37 PM
is this because the roads are melting? :wink:

furrybean
19-07-06, 04:40 PM
Apparently, surely they dont have to do it in hotter countries?!

Spiderman
19-07-06, 04:43 PM
Apparently, surely they dont have to do it in hotter countries?!

Other countries spend their money buying good quality materials is why.

No other countries expect the wether to be hot in summer and for leaves to fall from trees in autumn and maybe snow and ice in winter. This country seems to be continualy suprised by the weather.
Year after year after year. :roll:

furrybean
19-07-06, 04:47 PM
But when the weather is not too hot, not too cold, not too wet, not too icey the roads are great though. :riding:

kwak zzr
19-07-06, 04:47 PM
Wait until tomorrow hasn't it forcast the heavens to open?

Abyss
19-07-06, 04:58 PM
Ive been riding on alot of melted roads, for a new rider its really not happy :(

Razor
19-07-06, 05:08 PM
I've been on a few roads today where previously they were nice and smooth but now they're all rutted and torn up from the HGV traffic.

What do they do in the US and Canada where they see extreme tempertures in both summer and winter?

Are our roads built by pikeys who had a little bit left over from their last job?

Jdubya
19-07-06, 05:40 PM
Are our roads built by pikeys who had a little bit left over from their last job?

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: Yes...Because they charge less than proper contractors do! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

flynn209
19-07-06, 06:52 PM
What do they do in the US and Canada where they see extreme tempertures in both summer and winter?

In Canada we have our own problems (ontario anyway). Constant construction from ice cracking up the pavement (hit minus 45C last winter), and fairly HUGE rutts in the road from constant traffic in very hot weather (hit +45C last summer). There are a few highways that the rutts are so bad I wont drive on them in my car, the thing gets pulled all over the place.

And it doesnt end there...the cops have been putting gravel in corners of popular bike roads to try to slow people down :evil:

lynw
19-07-06, 06:59 PM
Its not like there wasnt warning:

http://forums.sv650.org/viewtopic.php?t=39891

:wink: :P :lol:

Since last month Ive been kind of expecting them to be out again, but I guess in this heatwave people forget that weekend in June it was bloody hot and the roads were melting.

CoolGirl
19-07-06, 07:01 PM

In Canada we have our own problems (ontario anyway). Constant construction from ice cracking up the pavement (hit minus 45C last winter), and fairly HUGE rutts in the road from constant traffic in very hot weather (hit +45C last summer). There are a few highways that the rutts are so bad I wont drive on them in my car, the thing gets pulled all over the place.

And it doesnt end there...the cops have been putting gravel in corners of popular bike roads to try to slow people down :evil:

s'true. not only do they have to put up with straight roads and no roundabouts :wink: but there are bleedin' great fissures in the tarmac from the extremes of temperature. It's bad enough driving a car on it, never mind riding a bike. It's the same in Quebec (state).

Mind you, the Canadians are prepared for big snow, and most bikers put their 2-wheels away nov-april. In this country, we run our cars on the same tyres all year round - Candians keep 2 sets, one for winter, one for warmer months.

I was riding my SV out of Metz a couple of years ago, and it was so hot that the bike in front of me was pitching the tarmac up over my bike. We never did get it all off.

philipMac
19-07-06, 07:01 PM
I've been on a few roads today where previously they were nice and smooth but now they're all rutted and torn up from the HGV traffic.

The roads here, certainly around NYC are in absolutely terrible shape. It was 40C (~100F) yesterday, and essentially, the roads collapse and fall apart, and split.
You can drive over bridges here, look through the road, and see water below you. They have to fence off areas below bridges due to falling debris.

Upstate NY... they are not so bad. But, the ones that get really frozen are always cracking too.

flynn209
19-07-06, 07:11 PM
...It's the same in Quebec (state)...

Trying....to....resist....cant....help...myself

Quebec is a province, we dont have states, we have provinces.

Sorry, I tried to hold it back

Stig
19-07-06, 08:56 PM

:lol: :lol:

Ed
19-07-06, 10:33 PM

:lol: 8)

and we have counties....

carelesschucca
19-07-06, 10:35 PM
Not up here we don't...

Ping
20-07-06, 10:27 AM

:lol: I was wondering if they'd changed it all since I left... :lol:

sharriso74
20-07-06, 10:30 AM
So where abouts in the USA is Canada then? :wink:

Razor
20-07-06, 10:27 PM
So where abouts in the USA is Canada then? :wink:

It's the 52nd state, after us but before Australia.