PDA

View Full Version : New phones are cool

Daimo
20-07-06, 11:51 AM
Had an awful 3 phone for a good 2 years... Nasty stuff, but now im moved in n such, credit rating was sorted, so I got myself a new phone. Its got a radio on it, so cool...

So now I can sit at work listening to the radio now instead of other whinging people :lol: (Radio etc is banned at work).

Anyone else taking advantage of something so simple yet so useful?

Abyss
20-07-06, 12:00 PM
Nope, I think im one of the only people that wants a phone that just does ringing and texting and has the time so it is smaller with alot more battery life.

Oh a calculator would be nice aswell :)

northwind
20-07-06, 12:01 PM
I like my old rubbish Nokia, mainly because it's encased in rubber and invulnerable to all harm. Also, it's big enough that if it falls out of my pocket, I miss it. But then, I'm a known throwback.

Abyss
20-07-06, 12:04 PM
northwind you talking about this phone...

http://www.sonnerie-portable.org/nokia-5210.jpg

If so i have to agree, i loved that phone - mine broke eventually in a pint of larger.

Jabba
20-07-06, 12:13 PM
Phones are for talking to other poeple. Any other functionality is unnecessary.

FACT :wink:

Viney
20-07-06, 12:18 PM
I disagree mr Hutt.

My phone has a 1gig memory card, used as a 1 gig mp3 player, radio, 3mp camera, email facility, games etc. Why carry 4 different devices around when you can carry 1?

Abyss
20-07-06, 12:21 PM
Run out of power on one thing and your screwed.

MattTheLoony
20-07-06, 12:24 PM
I use the calendar in mine to run my life, it also has a 3.2MP camera which is good for cheeky pub shots and I intend to use it as an MP3 player with bluetooth headphones when running.

I also use it as a watch, cooking timer and stopwatch.

Never use the radio as I'd have to use the earphones that come with the phone which suck.

Oh and when I go off on my world travels I can send pictures straight to a blog to keep everyone back home updated.

Jabba
20-07-06, 12:26 PM
I disagree mr Hutt.

My phone has a 1gig memory card, used as a 1 gig mp3 player, radio, 3mp camera, email facility, games etc. Why carry 4 different devices around when you can carry 1?

Hmmmm.......I think perhaps it is because I have no need of the other stuff.

I don't like mobile phones for lots of reasons, although I have one but hardly use it.

I'm perfectly happy to concede that I may be in a minority of 1 :lol:

Grinch
20-07-06, 12:31 PM
Mines rather niffty... if a little large.. XDA Mini S...

sharriso74
20-07-06, 01:06 PM
it also has a 3.2MP camera which is good for cheeky pub shots .

In the old days you relied on everyone being as bladdered as you and not remembering now there's photographic evidnce.

All camera phones should be banned from pubs espec on a Thursday night.

northwind
20-07-06, 01:13 PM

The version after, but it's the same thing really. Invincible! It's been dropped off buildings, run over by a van, in the sea, in quite a few pints... I wish my bones were made of the same stuff :)

Daimo
20-07-06, 01:18 PM
Nokias are great for trying to destroy... They won't have it......

We dropped this missis old one in soup by mistake. Let it dry, it still worked (Straight to the bottom it went)... All my phones have had "wall" excursions, or taken a "flight" through the air.

tbh, i got this phone just because it had a semi decent camera (use a lot) and i like the look of it. Didn't know it had a radio, earphones and all that gubbins until i turned it on. I've never been into all the MP3 players, games and all that pollarva...

Got a memory card too, no need to connect to the PC anymore, just slot the mem card in...

Flamin_Squirrel
20-07-06, 01:36 PM
Nokias are great for trying to destroy... They won't have it......

The 6280 isnt quite as durable :cry:

Warren
20-07-06, 04:20 PM
http://www.mobilegazette.com/images/sony-ericsson/sony-ericsson-w810-combo.jpg

ive got this phone.

happy with it, ill break down its fetures into simplisc terms.

1, makes phone calls, recieves phone calls

2, sends messages, recieves them, these messages can include pictures, music and video

3, it lets me read the news, for 1p

4, it has a radio, and can store 10 CD's worth of music

5, it comes with special headphones, so you cannot hear any background noise when listening to your music (ie - doing a ton down the M**)

6, it has a camera, so i can take photos, get them printed at a chemist, or print them from my computer

7, a torch, great in the dark :)

8, best of all, it acts as a remote control for my PC, so i can lay in bed watching a movie or listening to music, and i havent gotta leave my bed to change the song, shut down my computer, surf the net ect ect.

:) :lol:

UlsterSV
20-07-06, 04:28 PM
My phone makes me breakfast every morning and puts the cat out at night when I can't be arsed.

Ping
20-07-06, 04:31 PM
My phone makes me breakfast every morning and puts the cat out at night when I can't be arsed.
:lol:

UlsterSV
20-07-06, 04:41 PM

You think I'm joking. You know those Carphone Warehouse ads with the phone that has arms and legs? Yeah, they actually sold them for a while but were recalled after one tried to bite it's owner's ear off while he was on the phone. But I just kept mine and haven't had any problems. Apart from the time I caught him calling 0900 numbers he got from the back of a naughty magazine. But that's a whole other story.

timwilky
20-07-06, 06:22 PM

Totally agree, I can't understand why my kids and their mates have a 10 text conversation when they could have said more to each other in 1 minute for less than the costs of the texts. A phone is for talking. all the other crap such as cameras, messaging etc are toatally superfluous.

Interesting my companies rugby site prohibit cameras on site and visitors with camera phones are supposed to leavie them with the security guys.

Warren
20-07-06, 06:29 PM

You think I'm joking. You know those Carphone Warehouse ads with the phone that has arms and legs? Yeah, they actually sold them for a while but were recalled after one tried to bite it's owner's ear off while he was on the phone. But I just kept mine and haven't had any problems. Apart from the time I caught him calling 0900 numbers he got from the back of a naughty magazine. But that's a whole other story.

wicked.

did he store the phone calls for you to listen to as a 3GP file or an MP4 file ?

ok now you geeks, spot the deliberate mistake.

Sid Squid
20-07-06, 06:40 PM

http://www.sonnerie-portable.org/nokia-5210.jpg

If so i have to agree, i loved that phone - mine broke eventually in a pint of larger.

5210 - The best builders phone ever, bounces off everything and can even stand a brief dunking. Still got my old one - all the numbers have worn off though.

Essex of Essex
20-07-06, 07:17 PM
I left and old Nokia on charge in the front lav of an aircraft one night, flew from Stansted to Edinburgh and then asked for the phone to be passed onto the flight deck. "No Phone here skip" and all you could see was the charger cable hanging over the edge of the bowl. 2 pairs of gloves pulled up to the elbow and the hunt began, pulled it out and funny old thing it wouldn't turn on, washed it off with a bottle of water flew back to Stansted, a colleague picked up the phone turned it on and called the operations office.

Submereged for an hour in a chemical toilet 2 litres of water poured all over it and it works, amazing :!:

lukemillar
20-07-06, 07:56 PM

Totally agree, I can't understand why my kids and their mates have a 10 text conversation when they could have said more to each other in 1 minute for less than the costs of the texts. A phone is for talking. all the other crap such as cameras, messaging etc are toatally superfluous.

Interesting my companies rugby site prohibit cameras on site and visitors with camera phones are supposed to leavie them with the security guys.

I guess there is 3 of us then! My phone is going on for 4 years old now and is still going strong. It makes phone calls - I am happy!

I'm with you on the text message thing. I also can't stand text speak - especially when it creeps into this forum. Are people so lazy these days that they have to abbreviate mate into m8 for example?

rant over,

Luke 26 going on 50.

Law
20-07-06, 08:36 PM
wicked.

did he store the phone calls for you to listen to as a 3GP file or an MP4 file ?

ok now you geeks, spot the deliberate mistake.

um, 3GP and MP4 are video format??? MP3 is audio? I may be wrong and that was a wild guess as I'm no geek. :P