PDA

View Full Version : I have just been called autocratic

timwilky
21-07-06, 09:09 AM
Background

My boss says I need to spend more time at our Rugby office in order to work with another guy on a development project. Travel down there takes about 5 hours a day out of my time So I send him a mail last night after I had returned home from Rugby.

xxx

I have arranged to be in Rugby Tuesday/Wednesday (25/26th) July. Could you please be available these days to continue the development process

Thanks

Tim

Tim,
I'm not going to tolerate your continual autocratic approach.

You need to agree with me which days are convenient, before you make the arrangements.

The idea that you arrange things to suit yourself and then demand that I appear on these days isn't acceptable.

regards
xxx

Question. Firstly given that the guy works down there is it wrong for me to book office accomadation to suit myself and ask that he makes himself available those days.

He copied his reply to my boss. He is already complaining that I don't spend enough time down there and when I attempt to, he moans.

I don't want to get into slanging matches, but the guy wasn't there when I had to book accomodation for next week before I left the office. Why does he keep running off telling sir.

I am in a no win, this is really p155ing me off.

keithd
21-07-06, 09:14 AM
he's put kisses on the bottom so its not all bad Tim.

ps he sounds like a brown nosing knobber who can't fight his battles himself.

Jabba
21-07-06, 09:17 AM
Could you please be available these days to continue the development process

It does sound a bit off, tbh, Tim.

You should have checked first to see what days he has no other commitments and then make arrangements. I'm sure he has other work to do.

Just my view.

Demonz
21-07-06, 09:22 AM
He's a t*sser Tim and I'm sure your boss can see that. I would apologise - write him back and ask him if those two days are suitable? CC in your boss in and put a little :) at the end.

thor
21-07-06, 09:48 AM
Wilky, suggest that he comes to you at his convinience.

And then tell him you are not free on those days.

DanDare
21-07-06, 09:59 AM
Under stand where Jabba's coming from but the fact your having to make the arrangements and do the travelling, the other guy needs to be a bit more flexible.

If thats how his attitude is with the arrangements, I pity you working with him too. :x

Sounds like he has a bee in his bonnet about something. Some people have a real problem being told what to do. :x

What's Autocratic by the way* :oops: :?

* Somebody had to ask! :?

Jabba
21-07-06, 10:03 AM
Under stand where Jabba's coming from but the fact your having to make the arrangements and do the travelling, the other guy needs to be a bit more flexible.

Sure, perhaps he does, but Tim's email says "I am coming on that day, drop whatever you have planned and fit in with me".

If they are collaborating on a project for a while then there needs to be flexibility on both sides in my view.

northwind
21-07-06, 11:27 AM
Anyway, the topic! Yeah, I think you could word the email better- sometimes that's all it takes. I don't think that your approach is far off, but you could probably pitch it better. Something like, I will be in the area on xxx and hope you'll be available so we can blah blah blah." Make it so they want to be there, and realise you're goign there for them, not for you.

I used to have a boss that could ask for the most reasonable things in such a way that everyone dug in their heels. Me, on the other hand, I try and put in some thought so I can ask for the most outrageous favours without forcing it.

Peter Henry
21-07-06, 11:46 AM
Tim...Tread carefully mate as there is every chance your name is being blackened when your not around. Plus I would try to adopt a more amenable approach to the situation and particularly in correspondence, no matter how much this all winds you up. :wink: