PDA

View Full Version : What quality is downloaded music

Chris V
22-07-06, 12:45 PM
When you download music for free you are happy to settle for MP3 but if paying about £1 per track what quality (file type) do you get? :? :?

TSM
22-07-06, 12:51 PM
I would like at least 192kbps CBR or a high quality VBR file.

Chris V
22-07-06, 01:12 PM

Aren't these both compressed formats :cry: :cry:

jonboy
22-07-06, 01:17 PM
Yes they're compressed, but the higher the bitrate the less compression, and audio "artefacts" will be less too.

I certainly wouldn't pay £1 a track, http://www.allofmp3.com tends to be a little controversial but the price is right and you can select the quality.

196 is okay but nowhere near audio CD standards. 128 is listenable to, but you'll definitely notice audio artefacts in the higher frequencies (that's of course if you've a sensitive ear). If I were paying for a download I wouldn't want it less than 256 bit.

Chris V
22-07-06, 01:21 PM
Yes they're compressed, but the higher the bitrate the less compression, and audio "artefacts" will be less too.

I certainly wouldn't pay £1 a track, http://www.allofmp3.com tends to be a little controversial but the price is right and you can select the quality.

196 is okay but nowhere near audio CD standards. 128 is listenable to, but you'll definitely notice audio artefacts in the higher frequencies (that's of course if you've a sensitive ear). If I were paying for a download I wouldn't want it less than 256 bit.

Thanks Jonboy, but is it possible to download CD quality anywhere apart form a mates disc?

TSM
22-07-06, 01:21 PM

Aren't these both compressed formats :cry: :cry:

yes, but you are talking about MP3, they are diffrent ways to compress MP3, CBR = Constant Bit Rate, VBR = Variable Bit Rate, CBR will always create a constant file size per min of audio at any given bit rate but if there is too much musical detail then some may get lost thus needing a higher bit rate to store it, down side is that it will still make a large file even if there was no audio in the track as its a Constant Bit Rate, VBR on the other hand is Variable, so it adapts to the music, adjusting the Bit Rate on the fly. In general it creates smaller size files, but sometimes if on max quality can still create larger files than a 192kbps CBR file. I like VBR files as its the best of both worlds, one down side i have found to VBR files is that some players cant determin the length of the track, so it may say 10mins but its actualy only 5mins. Not a major prob though.

If you can download in APE then that is a losless compressable format which is cool.

Sudoxe
22-07-06, 01:26 PM
[
Thanks Jonboy, but is it possible to download CD quality anywhere apart form a mates disc?

Yes, look out for FLAC files. Dont know who sells them though.

Dan

jonboy
22-07-06, 01:31 PM

Well technically, no. But (though it's a much debated subject) I personally don't believe it's possible to tell the difference between the quality of CD audio and MP3 (or Windows Media file) at a bit rate of 320. So if you're able to download at this rate you honestly won't be disappointed.

As for CBR against VBR, again a much argued subject. Personally I'd go for a Constant Bit Rate encoding as then you'll be guaranteed the quality you want, even if the file size is slightly larger.

jonboy
22-07-06, 01:32 PM
Dont know who sells them though.

No-one :lol: .

Chris V
22-07-06, 01:47 PM
Thanks guys, always an education on this Site :lol:

Warren
23-07-06, 12:29 AM
256 and thats as low as i will go,

mabe ive got over sensitive ears, but i can honestly tell the difference.

MattTheLoony
23-07-06, 08:20 AM
I used to think 192 was fine but now I can tell the difference.

It's listenable to on my ipod though and in terms of the space it takes up I go for it usually.

Unfortunately MP3 is now one of the worst compression formats available with many better quality for the same filesize. It is however pretty universal and every portable audio player can play it, which is the reason I keep all my music stored in it, otherwise I'd go for one of the newer and better formats.

Warren
23-07-06, 08:52 AM

It's listenable to on my ipod though and in terms of the space it takes up I go for it usually.

Unfortunately MP3 is now one of the worst compression formats available with many better quality for the same filesize. It is however pretty universal and every portable audio player can play it, which is the reason I keep all my music stored in it, otherwise I'd go for one of the newer and better formats.

true, but storage space is increasing now too, meaning that you can afford to store higher bitrate mp3 files on your portable device,

when you have a 20gig ipod to play with, why bother getting the bitrate as low as possible ?

MattTheLoony
23-07-06, 09:06 AM

true, but storage space is increasing now too, meaning that you can afford to store higher bitrate mp3 files on your portable device,

when you have a 20gig ipod to play with, why bother getting the bitrate as low as possible ?

True, but 20 gig is what I have and is nowhere near enough. I'll need to get myself something a bit bigger one of these days but end up blowing all my money on other things.

Swiss
24-07-06, 03:22 PM
short answer:

256k is "generally" regarded to be of CD quality. FACT

I have said generally so all of you sad O's can bu88er off before you start ripping into the above comment. :wink:

jonboy
24-07-06, 03:31 PM
I have said generally so all of you sad O's can bu88er off before you start ripping into the above comment. :wink:

Damn, and I was just getting ready :lol: .

Swiss
24-07-06, 04:25 PM
You have to be so careful on this forum!! :lol:

falc
24-07-06, 04:30 PM
[

Yes, look out for FLAC files. Dont know who sells them though.

Dan

Eh? someone say my name?

APE as TSM mentioned is pretty good, lossless compression, going MP3 route gotta be around 320bit for a cd type copy