PDA

View Full Version : Finding a Kitten?

Demonz
22-07-06, 03:07 PM
So - we have decided to get a kitten in our household. Any ideas on where to start and the best place to find one. Just want an ordinary run of the mill kitten - pedigree's not needed. Pet shop had a number £85 from the local breeders :shock: . Ideas on somewhere cheaper? Just that i had a friend that got hers for £10 as it was from a litter that wasnt bred for sale but just going to a good home. I want one of those :?

kwak zzr
22-07-06, 03:14 PM
my sister could sort u out Gmonsta but she's in nottingham we had one off her 2 weeks ago-http://upload4.postimage.org/666915/Picture_7_.jpg (http://upload4.postimage.org/666915/photo_hosting.html)
shes got 4 left.

Tara
22-07-06, 03:24 PM
try the RSPCA or cat rescue

Gazza77
22-07-06, 03:25 PM
From memory it will cost about £50 from RSPCA. Will have had all injections, neutered and chipped tho.

Jabba
22-07-06, 03:26 PM
Have a word with the RSPCA, PDSA or local authority's animal home. They are always crying out for re-homing opportunities and the animals are often available to a nominal fee to cover admin and inocculations.

Also, try the local Post Office window adverts..............

Demonz
22-07-06, 03:31 PM
my sister could sort u out Gmonsta but she's in nottingham we had one off her 2 weeks ago-http://upload4.postimage.org/666915/Picture_7_.jpg (http://upload4.postimage.org/666915/photo_hosting.html)
shes got 4 left. Cheers kwak - will see what the local free cat housing brings up first as it is a fair distance for the cat courier. Hadnt thought of the RSPCA so will give it a shot on Monday.

trickywoos
22-07-06, 03:45 PM
Also check out the local papers, I know the Surrey Ad generally has adverts in there for kittens..........

Or head up to Battersea? Not sure on price there though.

Kate
22-07-06, 03:55 PM
Personally, I wouldn't bother with RSPCA or Cat Protection League. By the time they've assessed you to decide whether you are fit to own a cat, the kitten is all grown up! Plus you will never get a kitten from them that is under 12 weeks old and neutered.

If you go through local papers, notices up at local vets or Loot, you can get a kitten about 7 weeks old which is a much better age to get a kitten as you can form a better connection together.

Quick search: http://www.loot.com/advert/lovely-kittens/14585576 8 weeks old black kitten in Croydon, Surrey.

Peter Henry
22-07-06, 05:47 PM
Got to go with the RSPCA Animal Rescue Centres myself. Never been a cat lover at all I got mugged in to us getting one from the centre in Ainsdale. The deal was that I went along to see if I felt ok with the little chap being chosen.

So then we had Lucky and 6 months later I was mugged again with the line,"wouldn't it be nice for him to have a little friend?" We now as you might have guessed have got another called Ollie.

Both travelled to Spain with us and love the jet set lifestyle too it seems. :P Lucky even survived a badly broken leg after a fall from a fourth floor apartment.

To be totally honest I wouldn't be without them both now. 8)

tricky
22-07-06, 06:54 PM
and chipped tho.

Does this affect your insurance ? :wink:

Well Oiled
22-07-06, 08:16 PM
Personally, I wouldn't bother with RSPCA or Cat Protection League. By the time they've assessed you to decide whether you are fit to own a cat, the kitten is all grown up! Plus you will never get a kitten from them that is under 12 weeks old and neutered.

If you go through local papers, notices up at local vets or Loot, you can get a kitten about 7 weeks old which is a much better age to get a kitten as you can form a better connection together.

Quick search: http://www.loot.com/advert/lovely-kittens/14585576 8 weeks old black kitten in Croydon, Surrey.

Not so with our cat, we got her as a kitten from the cats protection and it only took a couple of day. Cost about £30 (not a true cost but they strongly request a donation - if you really can't afford it I don't think they make you )but she was chipped and immunised.

Well Oiled
22-07-06, 08:16 PM

Not so with our cat, we got her as a kitten from the cats protection and it only took a couple of days. Cost about £30 (not a true cost but they strongly request a donation - if you really can't afford it I don't think they make you ) but she was chipped and immunised.

tigersaw
22-07-06, 08:39 PM
I just typed in google free kittens surrey and got plenty of leads

Kate
22-07-06, 09:21 PM

Not so with our cat, we got her as a kitten from the cats protection and it only took a couple of day. Cost about £30 (not a true cost but they strongly request a donation - if you really can't afford it I don't think they make you )but she was chipped and immunised.
How old though? it may well be it changes from branch to branch. I was told I could not have a kitten at all as I was unfit to have a cat due to that fact I would only be home 4 days a week (I worked from home most days and when I didn't, I was home by 6 but apparently this wasn't enough). I was also told that my home would have to be assessed as part of the process to start with, and also I would have to have regular monthly home visits to check on the cat's welfare.

I would have rather have had a cat that needed a home but I wasn't about to give permission for strangers to come into my home and give me lectures. So I got my kitten from an ad in a local paper.

northwind
22-07-06, 09:41 PM
A friend of mine often has litters of farm kittens- the mums keep the strongest one or two at most and abandon the others. So if you want, I could stick one in a jiffy bag and send it to you :)

Scooby Drew
22-07-06, 09:44 PM
A friend of mine often has litters of farm kittens- the mums keep the strongest one or two at most and abandon the others. So if you want, I could stick one in a jiffy bag and send it to you :)

If it was a puppy you could call it a doggy bag :lol:

*gets coat and leaves*

Demonz
22-07-06, 10:04 PM

:? just thinking of the logistics. You may need to poke some holes in it first with a fork (the bag I mean) - just so it can breeth ok. Oh and first class stamp so it gets in next day.

TVR_Tracy
22-07-06, 10:09 PM
My best mate got a pedigree kitten from a breeder who was going to have her put down because she was bow legged :( How sad is that...

She is a goregous kitten though :) Not sure what sort she is, but looking at her, it would appear that she's some sort of lilac persian or something equally exotic... :lol: :lol:

kwak zzr
22-07-06, 10:31 PM

we've had fresh fish in the post wrapped in paper and a box came open with maggots in in fact allsorts gets sent via royal mail you can evan order tropical fish off eBay that get delivered by post. :shock: now a letter getting to its destination in one piece is another story :roll:

Sid Squid
23-07-06, 09:37 AM
Battersea have a cattery too - that's where I've been inclined to go.

Paws
23-07-06, 05:45 PM
Gmonsta, i know of 2 little black kittens that will be ready start of this month, both boys and both free to a good home.Im getting one of their sisters, they are v fluffy and v cute.

Demonz
23-07-06, 10:34 PM
Thanks Paws - I have a feeling it is a bit of a hike and am sure there is something a little closer to home. I will feel better getting one from the RSPCA or have found Battersea Dogs and Cats is just down the road so will check them out first. Cheers anyway.

Ed
23-07-06, 10:36 PM
How about:

http://forums.sv650.org/viewtopic.php?t=42271

Paws
24-07-06, 09:01 PM
Thanks Paws - I have a feeling it is a bit of a hike and am sure there is something a little closer to home. I will feel better getting one from the RSPCA or have found Battersea Dogs and Cats is just down the road so will check them out first. Cheers anyway.

oh no they arent mine! id keep them all if they were :D