PDA

View Full Version : Horse droppings

Pages : [1] 2

The Basket
22-07-06, 05:13 PM
Don't the riders have to clean up after the horse empties its guts on the road?

Surely there must be a law against it!

kwak zzr
22-07-06, 05:17 PM
no they dont neither do they pay road tax but use them all the same.

Peter Henry
22-07-06, 05:40 PM
On the contrary,by leaving said debris on the road a major contribution is made to all rose growing enthusiats who pop along with shovel and bucket before too long. :wink:

Sudoxe
22-07-06, 05:46 PM
On the contrary,by leaving said debris on the road a major contribution is made to all rose growing enthusiats who pop along with shovel and bucket before too long. :wink:

Thats horse ****!

Peter Henry
22-07-06, 05:48 PM
Man-ure not wrong! :wink: :P

BILLY
22-07-06, 06:08 PM
What the **** :lol:

tricky
22-07-06, 06:49 PM

I wish they'd be a bit quicker about it, i nearly had a horse poo related off a few months ago. (And I got **** all over my bike :( ) :wink:

Biker Biggles
22-07-06, 06:53 PM
Is this the "down in the dumps" thread?
Or a variation on the "bull****" thread?

Davido
22-07-06, 07:58 PM
There was talk of making horses wear nappies not too long ago, but that idea was scrapped because it was too much of an invonvenience for the rider. But its all good that we are left to slide all over it. There's concern for you! :smt093

How come dog **** has to be cleaned up, whereas horse crap, being about 10-20x the size is left?

I know its fertiliser, but you're not gonna grow many flowers on tarmac. :p

$tevo
22-07-06, 08:27 PM
If you had panniers, took the lids off and used them for a nice floral display, the horse poop would come in very handy - nice talking point too :)

kwak zzr
22-07-06, 08:28 PM
in zante the horse and traps have a bed sheet or something slung under the horse to catch the crap.

TVR_Tracy
22-07-06, 08:30 PM
If you had panniers, took the lids off and used them for a nice floral display, the horse poop would come in very handy - nice talking point too :)

:lol: :lol:

Jabba
22-07-06, 08:34 PM
How come dog sh*t has to be cleaned up, whereas horse crap, being about 10-20x the size is left?

Dog poo is a health hazard to kids.

Also, it's much easier to tread in - very unpleasant in open-toed sandals.

Jabba
22-07-06, 08:35 PM

Yeah - a nice display of chrysanthmums is always pleasant to look at and would distract attention away from the state of one's downpipes :wink:

TVR_Tracy
22-07-06, 08:39 PM
How come dog sh*t has to be cleaned up, whereas horse crap, being about 10-20x the size is left?

Dog poo is a health hazard to kids.

Also, it's much easier to tread in - very unpleasant in open-toed sandals.

Yeah but from what tricky said previously, he almost had an off due to a huge horse pat!!! That's pretty serious :shock:

With reference to dog poop, parent's should teach their kids not to eat that stuff!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

And Jabba, you should watch where you put your feet :lol: :lol: ... or wear socks with your sandals :lol: :lol:

Jabba
22-07-06, 08:51 PM
Yeah but from what tricky said previously, he almost had an off due to a huge horse pat!!! That's pretty serious :shock:

Fair point - plus getting it baked onto red-hot downpipes ain't good either :shock:

With reference to dog poop, parent's should teach their kids not to eat that stuff!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

You mean it's okay to eat horse flop? :shock:

And Jabba, you should watch where you put your feet :lol: :lol: ... or wear socks with your sandals :lol: :lol:

And have the style police after me? :shock: :shock: :shock:

:wink:

Peter Henry
22-07-06, 09:40 PM
BB wrote:

Is this the "down in the dumps" thread?
Or a variation on the "bull****" thread?

Cant just walk in and say "Hello folks,I'm back from my jols." lIke any normal person can you? :wink: :)

Come on where are the snaps?

ohh this was our Waiter

This is the bus we went on excursions.

This is that nice couple from Barnsley.

etc etc etc

ArtyLady
22-07-06, 10:17 PM
Right then :x - as a horse owner of many years I will now defend the RIGHT of these noble creatures to be on the road.

1. Horses were used as transport for thousands of years prior to the wheel.

2.Most horse riders hate riding on the roads and would prefer to ride on fields and bridleways but have to generally go along roads to get there.

3. Horse poo is only grass, hay, and cereal - I used to pick it up by hand to put it in the wheelbarrow :oops: :lol:

4. How would you suggest a rider gets off holds the horse and clears the poo away eh, eh, ? :? :? - horses are in MUCH less control from the ground so you would be more likely to be knocked off your bike by a horse thats got away because it has spooked at its rider who was attempting in vain to scoop a HUGE poop :? :roll:

5. If you were riding your bike with advance planning and observation you would

a. NOTICE you were in a rural area therefore assume their may be horse poo may be in road possibly round the next bend,

b. Be actively looking on any road for any objects/deisel/gravel/leaves/ice/HORSE POO that could cause you to lose control of bike.

Nuff said - I'll get my coat now :wink: :roll: :rant: but I do stand by what I said above :x

Peter Henry
22-07-06, 10:30 PM
Could the Highway Authority not come up with a new sign? You know one that shows a siluette of Neddy with tail raised and the odd suspicious dark blob falling? These could be placed along roads where the mentioned obstacles could be come in to contact with? :wink:

HTH.

kwak zzr
22-07-06, 10:43 PM
a cat is trained to use a litter tray cant horses be trained to do it on grass i mean they can learn to count cant they? every animal can learn that reminds me i must have an uncontrollable poo next time I'm in the asda :roll:

kwak zzr
22-07-06, 10:44 PM
the title of this thread is Horse droppings :roll: well rabbits do droppings so do mice and rats a horse does more of a load than a dropping :roll: :lol:

Jabba
22-07-06, 11:15 PM
horse does more of a load than a dropping :roll: :lol:

Where I come from we call "horse flop" after the noise it makes when it hits the deck.

Like when a parachute fails and the "plummeteer" is said to "frap".

Quiff Wichard
22-07-06, 11:22 PM
my wife came in with a handful of dog poo yesterday-

she said

"look what I nearly trod in "

kwak zzr
22-07-06, 11:23 PM
:lol: :lol: :lol:

northwind
23-07-06, 02:07 AM
Got to agree with Mumstoy... It's not the horse poo, it's your obvservation that's the problem. Unless you have thousands of horses around your bit :)

21QUEST
23-07-06, 02:33 AM
a cat is trained to use a litter tray cant horses be trained to do it on grass i mean they can learn to count cant they? every animal can learn that

I was just thinking that. That being the case :?: then it's just horse owners being lazy and irresponsible then.

The bleeding things just don't have a great dump in one spot. Oh noo... they have to fertilise the road :roll: . Well the ones in London don't . :lol:

Cheers
Ben

chunkytfg
23-07-06, 08:40 AM
Got to agree with Mumstoy... It's not the horse poo, it's your obvservation that's the problem. Unless you have thousands of horses around your bit :)

completely agree with northwind and mumstoy.

If you are riding that close to the edge of your ability whereby you are not able to take avoiding action for something as minor as a horse poo then perhaps you should back off a bit and give yourself a chance next time.

Quiff Wichard
23-07-06, 10:45 AM
its not vile though is it like dog poo-

horse poo looks like weetabix!!

Peter Henry
23-07-06, 10:52 AM
Quiff...Exacxtly! A few spoonfulls of that as part of a planned diet should work wonders! :wink:

Demonz
23-07-06, 11:10 AM

completely agree with northwind and mumstoy.

If you are riding that close to the edge of your ability whereby you are not able to take avoiding action for something as minor as a horse poo then perhaps you should back off a bit and give yourself a chance next time.

Sure treat it as any other road hazzard. It's still annoying and dangerous. If there is an easy solution I think they should implement it - its not rocket science and the only one it would then affect is the rider.

fizzwheel
23-07-06, 12:07 PM

Cowpoo is much much worse.

Peter Henry
23-07-06, 12:12 PM
Fizz...You are right. On the scale of nastiness for all things of an excrement nature the old cow pat rates highly as they are deceiving little devils. That perfectly hardened outer crust hiding a soft and slimey centre. :?

Marshmallow anyone? :wink:

RandyO
23-07-06, 12:34 PM

I much rather encounter horse dung while riding than a cow pie,

Paws
23-07-06, 05:43 PM
I get fed up of us horse riders been sl*gged off by bikers and drivers!

WE WERE HERE ON THE ROADS FIRST!

Trust me, we DO NOT like having to ride on roads, but the only way i can get to a bridleway/field is to cross at LEAST 5 roads! and i live in the middle of nowhere near enough!
I now hate riding on the road after i had a serious accident this due to A)a sign blowing in the wind and B) a speeding car

How the fook are we supposed to "train" our horses to only go on grass??? :roll:

Maybe those that are moaning about horse poo on the road shouldnt be riding a bike in the countrysuide, as if you cant avoid horse muck what about the walkers etc that will on the said roads?

The Basket
23-07-06, 05:57 PM
Some good points there!
It wasn't a country lane but a major road in my lil' ol' town.
I don't mind horses as such but surely anyone can see that horse poo can be a major prob for a bike that gets in amongst it.

Paws
23-07-06, 06:13 PM
Hazard perception hun.

Unfortunatly theres not alot we (horse riders) can dio about it, just try and slow down and go ROUND it instead of THROUGH it 8)

northwind
23-07-06, 06:22 PM
I think the day we can turn around and saw no bikers are scaring horses or riding too close to them, is the day we can demand they start carrying horse-sized poop scoops. When I was out and about around Shrewsbury I came across a really big group of horses on quite a narrow road, so i dropped by and changed up to quieten it all down, waiting for a chance to pass them wide and slow. While I was waiting, 3 different eejits went flying by, within a couple of feet of the poor beasts with their loud cans howling. Lucky it didn't cause an accident. That's far worse than a bit of crap on the roads...

Paws
23-07-06, 06:28 PM
I can honestly say i have NO trouble with bikers vs my horse when out riding round here, they all slow right and go wide 8) (might have something to do my my refelective that redas "Warning, female rider with PMT!") :lol: :lol:

Its car drivers that are the idiots.

ArtyLady
23-07-06, 06:43 PM
a cat is trained to use a litter tray cant horses be trained to do it on grass i mean they can learn to count cant they? every animal can learn that

I was just thinking that. That being the case :?: then it's just horse owners being lazy and irresponsible then.

Cheers
Ben

You obviously dont know much about horses do you.

a. They are NOT ALLOWED on the grass verge or pavement and many country lanes have none anyway.

b. Horses can be trained to do more than you could ever imagine (Show jumping, dressage - ie half pass, canter pirrouettes, flying changes - takes years of training and dedication - I know Ive done it) but - they will poo if needed RIGHT in the middle of above said highly trained activities. Im afraid just like bikes emit exhaust fumes, a horse will emit **** as it goes along :roll:

c. Most horse owners are extremely responsible and caring and you can never be lazy when you own one - of that I can assure you :x .

Blue Flame
23-07-06, 09:07 PM

So what. Times change.

Put them in a horse box and drive them to the field !!!!

Eveything said in jest so don't get on your 'high horse' :wink:

ArtyLady
23-07-06, 10:42 PM

So what. Times change.

Put them in a horse box and drive them to the field !!!!

Eveything said in jest so don't get on your 'high horse' :wink:

ha ha very funny! :smt075 :wink: :lol: sorry still on the "high horse"

on a serious note though - why dont you all just accept that you have to share the roads with other users including cyclists that wobble, pedestrians who step out in front of you, drivers who pull out on you, deisel spills, leaves, oh and horse **** :lol: , and GO AND LEARN SOME ADVANCED OBSERVATIONAL SKILLS :roll: :lol:

$tevo
23-07-06, 10:55 PM
I think the day we can turn around and saw no bikers are scaring horses or riding too close to them, is the day we can demand they start carrying horse-sized poop scoops. When I was out and about around Shrewsbury I came across a really big group of horses on quite a narrow road, so i dropped by and changed up to quieten it all down, waiting for a chance to pass them wide and slow. While I was waiting, 3 different eejits went flying by, within a couple of feet of the poor beasts with their loud cans howling. Lucky it didn't cause an accident. That's far worse than a bit of crap on the roads...

Thoughtless idiots - I always make a point of pulling in my clutch and bimbling by horse and riders - Invariably I get a wave or a nod of thanks and everyone goes away smiling, except the horse - always with the long face, what's their problem?

The Basket
23-07-06, 10:58 PM
I do have observational skills... :-dd
A Jaguar tried a number on me today but I observed him...What I really need is how to avoid been knocked off skills instead. :D

But surely there must be a law against horse poo on the road!!!
If they fine you for chucking a sweetie wrapper out the window then this surely beats that.

Quiff Wichard
23-07-06, 11:37 PM

try some sugar on it ! :lol:

21QUEST
24-07-06, 12:02 AM

Cheers
Ben

You obviously dont know much about horses do you.
Emm...I'm sure the ' :?: ' in my post was a clue

a. They are NOT ALLOWED on the grass verge or pavement and many country lanes have none anyway.
Fair enough

b. Horses can be trained to do more than you could ever imagine (Show jumping, dressage - ie half pass, canter pirrouettes, flying changes - takes years of training and dedication - I know Ive done it) but - they will poo if needed RIGHT in the middle of above said highly trained activities. Im afraid just like bikes emit exhaust fumes, a horse will emit sh*t as it goes along :roll:

Well if they are that clever , then it was a valid question then. No?

c. Most horse owners are extremely responsible and caring and you can never be lazy when you own one - of that I can assure you :x .
I'm sure most are but that doesn't mean we have to like horse poo being put about. My reference to lazy was linked to [b] . Same as dog owners who can't be bothered or too lazy to train their dogs.

Anyways , what's all this keeping the revs down or pulling the clutch in when you come across a horse :? . I don't

mumstoy ....<and breath.....> :wink:
I kill then engine myself and coast past. It is safe to do that provided you have good observational skills :) . Still get the odd twit still trying to fly past though :roll: .

Cheers
Ben

Anonymous
24-07-06, 05:14 AM
Less dangerous to motorcyclists, but infinitely more disgusting, are humans who urinate and vomit in shop doorways in most towns most evenings.

Lets have fewer humans and more horses. (they make a nice alternative to beef and I don't think anyone has caught mad horse disease yet)

philipMac
24-07-06, 05:34 AM
I kill then engine myself and coast past.

Depending on the horse, that can spook them. I used to race road bikes, and essentially my race bikes were silent. On a spin I came past two horses, I swung out to the wrong side of the road, to pass. One was making me nervous cause it was skittering about. When I came into view (past its blinkers) it reared up, threw its rider, and landed on its side.

I think it was because i was so quiet, and moving at 30mph, that spooked it. I dunno. I wanted to move quickly because I was out on the wrong side of the road. If I stayed on my side I thought it might kick or something.

I was thinking about pulling over to help, but the other rider thought it was more important to chase after me screaming bloody murder. So, 30 mph became 40mph. Exit stage left.

philipMac
24-07-06, 05:41 AM
Less dangerous to motorcyclists, but infinitely more disgusting, are humans who urinate and vomit in shop doorways in most towns most evenings.

I have mentioned this before, but why are these people not arrested?
I only noticed that this is not "normal" behaviour having lived in Germany for a while when I was young. This simply does not happen in Germany/Holland/Norway. Or even in the north or south America for that matter.

I happens about Ireland, and the UK. And, its rotten.

Demonz
24-07-06, 06:33 AM
The problem isnt seeing - its accepting. If something can be made better or safer why not do it? Can the horse lovers please tell me the the disadvantages of having a bucket contraption catch the sh*t? The only things I can think of are:

Disadvantages
- Cost of purchase
- Time Fitting it
- Time Emptying it
- Ugly looking horses

Benefits:
- Safer Roads
- Happier road users
- Better looking roses

ArtyLady
24-07-06, 08:41 AM
I cant be bothered with this any more - obviously a cetain few here are determined to be arsy about horses (scuse the pun) -

I remember the days (25 - 30 years ago) when we (bikers and their pillions) were turned away from pubs shops etc, looked down on as suspicious (as do the youngsters of today just because they were a hooded top ffs) because we were on bikes - we were considered "dirty, greasy, trouble makers, jobless, layabouts etc etc".

Now all that is changed and everybody has jumped on the bandwagon and become "bikers" which has turned it into a very popular pastime for many professionals (even royals) and it has become very much accepted.

So now you are all a majority than a minority you decide to slate the minority - (horse and riders). I dont have a horse any more so its not my problem so I cant be bothered to stick up for them anymore. :roll: :roll: 8)

yes - I got out the wrong side of bed and the bruises from my "computer chair crash" (I leant over too far and it flipped over :cry: :roll: ) are hurting like hell see here http://forums.sv650.org/viewtopic.php?t=42240 :wink: :lol: :lol:

shao
24-07-06, 08:50 AM
I cant be bothered with this any more - obviously a cetain few here are determined to be arsy about horses (scuse the pun) -

[...]

So now you are all a majority than a minority you decide to slate the minority - (horse and riders).

Doesnt seem to be the objective here. What people are saying is "this is a hazzard. What can be done about it", and you're responding "It doesnt matter if it's a hazzard, horses were there first, you're all being unreasonable to suggest anything should be done". Cars were there before we started limiting their speed ffs. "I think it's completely unreasonable to stop me going at 200 miles an hour, i was doing it before you told me to stop so it must be fine". Nice logic...

kwak zzr
24-07-06, 09:00 AM
:lol:

The Basket
24-07-06, 09:02 AM
Yes the point or crux of my issue.

I don't mind horses but surely the riders must clean up after them?

It is just considerate. I always flush the chain after I go.

Mogs
24-07-06, 10:15 AM
If your observation skills are up to the standard they need to be then Horse Poo is easily avoidable. It should form no greater hazard than manhole covers, pot holes, diesel or any other detritus dropped on the road.

As for free wheeling past, it sounds logical - nice and quiet, but it sure isn’t safe, you need the power on tap just in case you need to get away. If the horse is skittish then be patient, stop, engine off, let the rider calm the animal. Wait for them to give you the okay. It’s in you own interest, a ton of uncontrolled animal can do a lot of damage.

K
24-07-06, 10:46 AM
Yes the point or crux of my issue.

I don't mind horses but surely the riders must clean up after them?

It is just considerate. I always flush the chain after I go.

In which case farmers should wash down the roads when they have to move a herd of cattle or sheep across or along a road, and every person who has a tree in their garden or land in Autumn should be made to hoover up the leaves that fall - get rained on = severe hazard.

As has been said - it's harder to control a horse when you are on the ground rather than riding it - added to that would you want a person to be getting off and standing in the road, stationary, whilst kicking poo onto the grass verge. That sounds like a greater hazard to me.

As for attaching some kind of device to the horse - well, can you invent one that every single horse will accept flapping about around it's legs?
The simple physical ergonomics of it make such a device impractical, and virtually impossible to achieve on a live animal.
It's not a machine, it simply won't accept an after-market can like a bike does! :wink:

And now you've got me thinking, as a horse rider of 32 years - I don't think any horse I've been on has shat further than a couple of feet out from the gutter. In 19 years of motorcycling I only ride that close to the left side of the road when approaching/taking a righthander = which is to give me a better view of the road so I can avoid the hazards of stuff on the road (be it driving on it or splattered on it).

As for road tax, Ok, so they don't pay it - but they certainly don't damage the road itself and at 1bhp, in comparison to a bike, it would work out at a negligable cost! :wink:
They do however, unlike cyclists (who are just a bad a moving hazard) have insurance! Or at least every single horse I've known has.

They are expensive creatures to own and maintain - insurance cover is pretty much a given for anyone who owns a horse, to cover the costs of potential vets fees alone - and there were no policies that were available when I owned a horse that did not also include Third Party cover.

The health issues are incomparable with dog poo as well. It's a virus/bacteria/bug thing that is present in dog poo that, over a relatively short period of time will transfer itself onto the ground and remain active there for a very long time.
This 'bug' can then be picked up from the grass/ground even if there is no poo present. Children are suseptable to it and whilst we develop a natural resistance with adulthood, this is not always the case. I believe the resulting effect can be total blindness.
Horse poo is harmless, a fetiliser, the best thing for roses and can make you a few extra quid if you sell it by the bag.

Peter Henry
24-07-06, 10:59 AM
So the smart motorcyclist will always carry a pair of marigolds and have a top box fitted to their bike. When finding mentioned deposits on the road,throw it in the top box until you have a bagfull and sell to your rose loving neighbour. Sounds a good plan to me? :wink: :P

ArtyLady
24-07-06, 11:17 AM

[...]

So now you are all a majority than a minority you decide to slate the minority - (horse and riders).

Doesnt seem to be the objective here. What people are saying is "this is a hazzard. What can be done about it", and you're responding "It doesnt matter if it's a hazzard, horses were there first, you're all being unreasonable to suggest anything should be done". Cars were there before we started limiting their speed ffs. "I think it's completely unreasonable to stop me going at 200 miles an hour, i was doing it before you told me to stop so it must be fine". Nice logic...

Im not saying its unreasonable to suggest any thing should be done but fwiw here is my reasoning as to why nothing much can be done - I can tell you now many horses would not be tolerant of a "nappy" contraption hangin from their **** - then if you could train them to accept this - it would be getting heavier during the hack (some horses can do several motions during a hack - each probably weighing a kilo or so, especially if they are the excitable sort). so it would have to be a big contraption and as it filled up it would bash round and swing against on their legs making them panic (horses need their back legs as free as possible - that is their "engine" and very sensitive - so they would probably be more upset and likely to panic possibly just as another road user goes past.

and before you suggest the rider gets off regularly to empty it - it is impossible and would be very dangerous to try to hold your horse and go to the back at the same time and as Ive said before out on a road you are more in control when sitting on the animal.

All of the above would be far more dangerous for bikers than it would to AVOID HAZZARD IN THE FIRST PLACE just as you would look for cats, dogs, pedestrians, road kill, or would you like to ban them from the roads too? :wink: :roll: .

Oh yeah and - just exactly how much of a problem is horse **** when you are out on your rides? at least you can see it unlike other hazzards such as deisel, gravel etc. and if you cant see it then you shouldnt be riding cos your eyesight probably isnt very good :wink: 8)

ArtyLady
24-07-06, 11:20 AM
sorry Kate Ive reiterated much of what you said whilst you were posting I was "composing" :roll: :lol:

The Basket
24-07-06, 11:36 AM
A point made...dogs are illegal on the road by the way.

The point is I do avoid it simply because I don't have any choice.

ArtyLady
24-07-06, 11:59 AM
The point is I do avoid it simply because I don't have any choice.

IMO - as an experienced horsewoman - that is all you can do 8) :)

Flamin_Squirrel
24-07-06, 12:06 PM
As contribution to the discussion, I submit my solution to the problem...

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/1/1e/Cork_stopper.jpg/180px-Cork_stopper.jpg

ArtyLady
24-07-06, 12:12 PM
As contribution to the discussion, I submit my solution to the problem...

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/1/1e/Cork_stopper.jpg/180px-Cork_stopper.jpg

Mogs
24-07-06, 12:14 PM
At some time the pressure will get too great and the cork and everything behind it will be released at high velocity - Very unpleasant for any biker.

creamerybutter
24-07-06, 12:18 PM
That sounds like an experiment for brainiac.

Peter Henry
24-07-06, 12:18 PM
Mogs...Yeah, if that happened you wouldn't need to worry about your observation skills! :P :P

Demonz
24-07-06, 01:03 PM
I can tell you now many horses would not be tolerant of a "nappy" contraption hangin from their @rse

You can train a horse to wear a saddle, bridle, shoes and human - a nappy should be easy. It could be introduced over a period of time like anything else?

and before you suggest the rider gets off regularly to empty it - it is impossible and would be very dangerous to try to hold your horse and go to the back at the same time and as Ive said before out on a road you are more in control when sitting on the animal

I am pretty sure someone would be able to make a version that has a quick release fitting on it. Imagine that - you would just ride up to a horse stop and pull the string to empty - no need to get down or anything. :wink:

All of the above would be far more dangerous for bikers than it would to AVOID HAZZARD IN THE FIRST PLACE just as you would look for cats, dogs, pedestrians, road kill, or would you like to ban them from the roads too? :wink: :roll:

Oh yeah and - just exactly how much of a problem is horse sh*t when you are out on your rides? at least you can see it unlike other hazzards such as deisel, gravel etc. and if you cant see it then you shouldnt be riding cos your eyesight probably isnt very good :wink: 8)

Hores sh*t is as much of a problem as a brick in the middle of the road. I can see this just fine too - but its still a problem and I wouldnt like to be the first over it :wink:

ArtyLady
24-07-06, 01:39 PM
I can tell you now many horses would not be tolerant of a "nappy" contraption hangin from their @rse

You can train a horse to wear a saddle, bridle, shoes and human - a nappy should be easy. It could be introduced over a period of time like anything else?

and before you suggest the rider gets off regularly to empty it - it is impossible and would be very dangerous to try to hold your horse and go to the back at the same time and as Ive said before out on a road you are more in control when sitting on the animal

I am pretty sure someone would be able to make a version that has a quick release fitting on it. Imagine that - you would just ride up to a horse stop and pull the string to empty - no need to get down or anything. :wink:

All of the above would be far more dangerous for bikers than it would to AVOID HAZZARD IN THE FIRST PLACE just as you would look for cats, dogs, pedestrians, road kill, or would you like to ban them from the roads too? :wink: :roll:

Oh yeah and - just exactly how much of a problem is horse sh*t when you are out on your rides? at least you can see it unlike other hazzards such as deisel, gravel etc. and if you cant see it then you shouldnt be riding cos your eyesight probably isnt very good :wink: 8)

Hores sh*t is as much of a problem as a brick in the middle of the road. I can see this just fine too - but its still a problem and I wouldnt like to be the first over it :wink:

Right thats it - I give up!! ](*,) ](*,) :roll: :roll: :nomore: :wink: :lol:

northwind
24-07-06, 03:40 PM

Nah...Hit a brick and you're in real trouble, hit a horse flop and unless you'er braking hard or leaned over, it's basically irrelevant. It doesn't just need for you to fail to see it, it also needs for it to be in exactly the wrogn place at the wrong time.

philipMac
24-07-06, 03:53 PM

Nah...Hit a brick and you're in real trouble,

Yup. And I have the bent front wheel and knackered rad to prove it.

KrZ
24-07-06, 04:09 PM
while we are on the subject of the horse. me and me pregnant wife was out walking in a field on a public path, all of a sudden, a herd of i think wild pony's started to walk towards us from at least one hundred meters away. i did notice there were 2 young ones in the group, so i asked my wife to track back the way we came while i stood there diverting those pony's attention. The first to reach me was a female pony, and wasn't at all friendly, nudging me along. At the same time, i noticed the head of the herd (well, looks noticibaly bigger) flanked me from the back and was heading staight towards me. By that stage, all the plan of making a great big noise and scare them away was totally outa of the window, so I found a suitable gap and legged it. With them chasing after me… :shock: :shock: my question is, surely that’s not right… and what’s the best way to chase away the ponies, horses or a herd of cows??

ArtyLady
24-07-06, 04:37 PM
knowing what most pampered domestic neddies are like I would say that the first one probably came over and nudged you for a tip-bit (which you mistook for attacking you) and the others followed suit and then they had a bit of a pecking order tussle and you got caught in the middle of it which can be intimidating if your not used to horses.

But I doubt they were attacking you as horses are not agressive creatures by nature (some are - but not very often, oh and stallions can be) - most horses are often just curious.

Probably best not to risk walking there unless you can ask the owner if they are agressive or not just in case. I would say dont run or wave your arms as they would often be spooked and run with you and get sometimes get agressive in self defence! But it would be sensible to move quitely and calmly away as you dont want to get caught in the middle of anything whether it be agression or just high jinks.

Cows - I wouldnt have a clue about sorry :?

Peter Henry
24-07-06, 04:42 PM
Dealt with a few cows in my time. Unfortunately nothing I could share would assist in this thread! :P

Demonz
24-07-06, 04:45 PM
Cows - I wouldnt have a clue about sorry :?

Avoid the cows with horns, and cows with sacks (cause they aint cows). Some are friendly and may also be curious - others you can wave your arms about and shout. If they turn and drop their head - you turn and run. Avoid red and pink clothing.

K
24-07-06, 08:29 PM

All that you have mentioned are either close fitting items that are not loose and flap about - or in the case of the rider, are a 'control device'.

The loosest part of a bridle - the reins - can still startle a horse if suddenly shaken wide or flapped about.

So, for it to have any likelyhood of being worn a 'nappy' would have to be close fitting. But then it wouldn't be ableto fit any poo in it so would be useless and there would be no point in it. :roll:

Yes you can train a horse to pull a cart or trap - but many horses simply do not make safe drivers - just like some people cannot (or should not) pass their test and safely be behind the wheel of a car.

Even more extreme - have you any idea how much training and reinforcement goes into the teaching of a completely bombproof animal like a police horse?

In simple, practical terms, the far easiest and safest solution, for biker and horserider, is for one to make the best of efforts to crap as far towards the gutter as is possible, and for the other to take the responsibility of observation & avoidance. Same as they do with any other unexpected hazard like manhole covers and roadkill.

Lou M
25-07-06, 01:27 PM
Haven't managed to read all through this, so sorry if it's already been said. But I use Horse Poo on the road as an indicator that there could be a horse around the corner.

Much better to have the poo than the horse :?

Therefore, for me, keep pooing on the roads :lol: :lol:

JUICY LUCY
25-07-06, 02:11 PM
If those pesky horsie people let their horses poo all over the roads, next time you see said same horsie person on culprit horse, just twist that throttle a little more and beep the horn as you pass. Won't achieve anything but it may make you feel better m8 :lol: :lol:

JUICY LUCY
25-07-06, 02:29 PM
CLICK ON IMAGE TO SEE WHAT THE HORSE DOES :lol:

http://upload4.postimage.org/690141/horsepoop_1_.jpg (http://upload4.postimage.org/690141/photo_hosting.html)

ArtyLady
25-07-06, 03:14 PM
just twist that throttle a little more and beep the horn as you pass. Won't achieve anything but it may make you feel better m8 :lol: :lol:

You may achieve something - probably a horrific accident :shock: I would advise you DO NOT do that at all [-X

sorry to sound a bit stern Juicy but it is important that people dont do that even if, as Im sure you were, joking :)

ArtyLady
25-07-06, 03:17 PM
Haven't managed to read all through this, so sorry if it's already been said. But I use Horse Poo on the road as an indicator that there could be a horse around the corner.

Much better to have the poo than the horse :?

Therefore, for me, keep pooing on the roads :lol: :lol:

Sensible perspective Lou :thumbsup:

Ping
25-07-06, 03:20 PM
just twist that throttle a little more and beep the horn as you pass. Won't achieve anything but it may make you feel better m8 :lol: :lol:

You may achieve something - probably a horrific accident :shock: I would advise you DO NOT do that at all [-X

sorry to sound a bit stern Juicy but it is important that people dont do that even if, as Im sure you were, joking :)
Agreed. The full weight of a horse dropping on someone can seriously injure or kill, as can a stray hoof. That action's no more sensible than a car driver trying to run a biker off the road 'just to scare them'.

JUICY LUCY
25-07-06, 04:15 PM

Whoops - that's me told off again! Just for the record, I SERIOUSLY wouldn't do that, but then SERIOUSLY who would?? Bit like when they show someone on TV jumping off a mountain without a parachute they flash up "DON'T TRY THIS AT HOME" - don't think anyone has tried :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

lukemillar
25-07-06, 04:27 PM
Right then :x - as a horse owner of many years I will now defend the RIGHT of these noble creatures to be on the road.

1. Horses were used as transport for thousands of years prior to the wheel.

2.Most horse riders hate riding on the roads and would prefer to ride on fields and bridleways but have to generally go along roads to get there.

3. Horse poo is only grass, hay, and cereal - I used to pick it up by hand to put it in the wheelbarrow :oops: :lol:

4. How would you suggest a rider gets off holds the horse and clears the poo away eh, eh, ? :? :? - horses are in MUCH less control from the ground so you would be more likely to be knocked off your bike by a horse thats got away because it has spooked at its rider who was attempting in vain to scoop a HUGE poop :? :roll:

5. If you were riding your bike with advance planning and observation you would

a. NOTICE you were in a rural area therefore assume their may be horse poo may be in road possibly round the next bend,

b. Be actively looking on any road for any objects/deisel/gravel/leaves/ice/HORSE POO that could cause you to lose control of bike.

Nuff said - I'll get my coat now :wink: :roll: :rant: but I do stand by what I said above :x

:winner:

I have never owned a horse, only ridden one a few times (and hated it :wink: ) but I completely agree with mumstoy.

Peter Henry
25-07-06, 05:03 PM
Horses always remind me of that day I had a massive throbber! My much older bro was in to horses and I went for a ride to the stables with him to visit his big Irish Hunter called Donovan.

As we got out of the car, in my rush I slammed the car door shut on my thumb! :shock:

Jeez I can feel that excruciating pulsing even now! :? :cry:

philipMac
25-07-06, 05:34 PM
Horses always remind me of that day I had a massive throbber!

Lets just get it out of the way now then.

<smuttyInuendo> I say old chap :wink: </smuttyInuendo>

Carry on.

Jebiah
25-07-06, 05:36 PM
im going to take a massive sack of marbles on the back of my bike so i can drop them round a blind corner so any aproaching horses will slip and fall over!!! ha!
horses should have insurance tax and an MOT to be on the road sh*t flying out the rear of a "vehicle" would be a failure, surely riding something as transport classes it as a vehicle! :lol: :lol:

philipMac
25-07-06, 05:40 PM
I am going to get a massive stick with a pointy end, and jump out of the hedge wearing a batman costume and jam the stick up their **** while making really really loud turkey noises for the laugh.

They'll not be expecting that.

http://www.qrz.com/uploads/post-7-71517-Monty_Python_Spanish_Inquisition.jpg

Peter Henry
25-07-06, 05:48 PM
Whilst we are relatively close to the subject,have you ever heard a horse blow one? Dear me what a noise...and long too!

Never forget the first time I attended the indoor riding school to watch my brother, all these lardy dah types circling around with their nags blowing off left, right and centre. Not a one person batted an eye lid.

Me of course ,(come on I was only 10!) was rolling around in hysterical laughter. :P

Funny now I think of it, my bro never took me again? :?

ArtyLady
25-07-06, 05:52 PM
but then SERIOUSLY who would??

Believe me Lucy - I know from experience that they would and they do :evil:

I wasnt having a go in my previous post - I knew you were probably only joking but I just had to point it out :)

philipMac
25-07-06, 05:55 PM
Whilst we are relatively close to the subject,have you ever heard a horse blow one? Dear me what a noise...and long too!

Never forget the first time I attended the indoor riding school to watch my brother, all these lardy dah types circling around with their nags blowing off left, right and centre. Not a one person batted an eye lid.

Me of course ,(come on I was only 10!) was rolling around in hysterical laughter. :P

Funny now I think of it, my bro never took me again? :?

The Henry Family's good name never quite recovered among polite society since your arrival, did it Petey?

You were sort of the Bertie Wooster of the Henry clan.

Peter Henry
25-07-06, 06:00 PM
Phil what a shrewd observation. Oddly I did get the occasional feeling that I was something of an embarassment to my folks. :?

JUICY LUCY
25-07-06, 06:45 PM
but then SERIOUSLY who would??

Believe me Lucy - I know from experience that they would and they do :evil:

I wasnt having a go in my previous post - I knew you were probably only joking but I just had to point it out :)

No worries mumstoy. I understand where you're coming from. You're right, there's always the ONE IDIOT who will try anything. I fancy the marble trick myself :smt044

Peter Henry
26-07-06, 08:08 AM
Oh go on then,make me feel bad why don't you! :? So it's only me who has ever heard a horse parp then? I am sure Mumstoy has enjoyed this experience on numerous ocasions? :wink:

ArtyLady
26-07-06, 09:01 AM
Oh go on then,make me feel bad why don't you! :? So it's only me who has ever heard a horse parp then? I am sure Mumstoy has enjoyed this experience on numerous ocasions? :wink:

Dont worry PH, Im sure you are not alone :wink: - In my experience even the most seasoned horsefolk have the occasional subtle titter about particularly long, loud, tuneful, resonating horse trumps - very entertaining in the middle of a dressage test :wink:

I must say - also very useful if you have the odd "loud" slip up yourself - a bit like - "blame it on the dog" :oops: :wink: :lol: :lol:

having said all that Im one of those very unladylike, laugh at farty noises people :laughat:

northwind
26-07-06, 09:03 AM
Horses don't parp, they break wind. Horses sweat, ladies perspire. Ladies fart, horses break wind.

I used to love going to the agricultural shows, because we'd be wandering around with my mum, and one of the cows would suddenly drop a caber... Well, it's funny when you're 8.

Peter Henry
26-07-06, 09:12 AM
Northy..You just reminded me of a school trip when I was also 8 years old!

We were all loaded on to a bus to visit a farm in North Wales and were all very excited about this. We arrived and were shown the pigs, the horses etc. But then the special treat.....to wander through the milking shed which was full of tethered bovines.

Well as we gradually progressed along the centre aisle with cows on either side of us it all kicked off! The odd nervous titter and giggle from us kids set the whole shed full of cows off in to spontaneous bowel evacuation!

Splutter,splat all the way along and with us dodging the odd bounced up splashed bit! We were weaving and grabbing hold of each other to avoid the questionable projectiles! One of the funniest experiences of my life. But of course you had to be there! :P :P

The Basket
26-07-06, 09:16 AM
Yes...issues have been raised but still questions to be asked.

You may have realized I am no fan of the horses :D The idea of saying that you can put a hazard on the road and then it is up to the driver/rider to avoid it is amazing.

If I put diesel on the road, then I have no responsibility and it is the fault of the poor sap who falls off. Should have seen it, mate.

Hmmm

JUICY LUCY
26-07-06, 09:24 AM

You may have realized I am no fan of the horses :D The idea of saying that you can put a hazard on the road and then it is up to the driver/rider to avoid it is amazing.

If I put diesel on the road, then I have no responsibility and it is the fault of the poor sap who falls off. Should have seen it, mate.

Hmmm

Good point! :driving:

ArtyLady
26-07-06, 01:19 PM

Hmmm

It appears to me that you just havent listened to any of the reasonings as to why it is not an easily resolvable issue by a few of us here who are extremely experienced and knowledgeable about horses :x ](*,)

Technically over filling a deisel tank and shed loads should be avoidable, BUT leaves, ice, dust, melted roads, and horse **** are all IMO unresolvable other than you the rider being observant to avoid them.

Lets face it, a huge pile of steaming **** in the road ought to be easily spotted (they are big enough!) unlike the other hazzards, so if you cant see them - then maybe you need to slow down and LOOK. (have you done any advanced training btw?)

I suggest you go back and carefully read posts made by myself, K, Lou M and think about it. :roll: 8)

Filipe M.
26-07-06, 01:59 PM
I suggest you go back and carefully read posts made by myself, K, Lou M and think about it. :roll: 8)

Personally I'd say he doesn't give a sh*t... :lol: :lol: :lol:

The Basket
26-07-06, 02:03 PM
Lets face it, a huge pile of steaming sh*t in the road ought to be easily spotted (they are big enough!) unlike the other hazzards, so if you cant see them - then maybe you need to slow down and LOOK. (have you done any advanced training btw?)

Indeed I have.

And I do ride slowly. :roll: