PDA

View Full Version : Littering Habbits

Demonz
24-07-06, 10:46 AM
I cant believe people are happy to leave their trash about in parks, throw it out the car window or drop it on the streets. Riding on my pushy in the mornings I cant believe that Great Windsor park is continually riddled with rubbish from picnics etc. Why?? :evil:

tricky
24-07-06, 11:01 AM
THis makes me angry too
Sadly the reason is because most people are ****s.

I used to point out nearby litter bins to people who I saw dropping litter but you just get a gob full of abuse so I don't bother any more.

I'm thinking of getting a tazer..........

:evil: :evil: :evil:

Tara
24-07-06, 11:10 AM
Winds me up too :evil:

Nick762
24-07-06, 11:22 AM
Littering is a bugbear with me, it just demonstrates a total lack of thought coupled with the attitude that it's OK to drop litter as street cleaners are paid to clean it up.

What really ticks me off are the people who throw stuff out of car windows. Don't modern cars have ash trays any more? Lost count of the time's I've sat in queues while the fire service puts out yet another fire in the central reservation that can only have been started by a discarded cig butt. :x

Tara
24-07-06, 11:25 AM
Littering is a bugbear with me, it just demonstrates a total lack of thought coupled with the attitude that it's OK to drop litter as street cleaners are paid to clean it up.

What really ticks me off are the people who throw stuff out of car windows. Don't modern cars have ash trays any more? Lost count of the time's I've sat in queues while the fire service puts out yet another fire in the central reservation that can only have been started by a discarded cig butt. :x

thats what annoys me too

Mogs
24-07-06, 11:36 AM
It's another one of those things that make me grumpy. The litter around McDonalds, really gets me going, they should be made to pay to clear it up, that would encourage them to do more to stop the waste.

and while I'm going. Why do people use the drive thru then park in McD's car park to eat it.

Filipe M.
24-07-06, 11:56 AM
Why do people use the drive thru then park in McD's car park to eat it.

It avoids spilling the coke all over the car seats, while happily having a meal away from fag smoke and noisy kids! :lol:

Demonz
24-07-06, 11:59 AM
It's another one of those things that make me grumpy. The litter around McDonalds, really gets me going, they should be made to pay to clear it up, that would encourage them to do more to stop the waste.

and while I'm going. Why do people use the drive thru then park in McD's car park to eat it.

Its all about Education. Mds should sponsor a national campaign or Clean up Britain Day. 1 day a year where schools and clubs choose an area to clean up. They can even do it as a fundraiser where they can be sponsored based on the amount of litter or area they clean up. Do it on a Saturday and drag adults along since they are the main offenders. The problem is that for many people it is still socially acceptable.

Ed
24-07-06, 12:03 PM
Same reason that people don't return supermarket trolleys to the store. Too damn lazy. I accept that some people don't because they have young children in the car, or they're elderly and can't walk unassisted, or otherwise can't for good reason. But so many don't even return them to the trolley bay let alone to the store.

Here in Shrewsbury we have a town warden. I think he must be a retired traffic warden - he dishes out £50 fines for people who stub out cigarettes in the street. Bit harsh, I think - they should get a warning first.

creamerybutter
24-07-06, 12:05 PM
It does infuriate me when people chuck litter out of a car. Someone dropped a chip wrapper out of the window in front of me while I was filtering once, I could just about reach it while still on the bike so I picked it up and chucked back trough their window. Needless to say they didn't like that, they tried to follow me down the middle of the traffic :lol:

As for people on picnics how hard is it to take a bag for you litter and then keep it with you till you find a suitable bin?

They do in Birmingham, there are MacDonald's litter pickers with wheelie bin things regularly going round picking up their crap.

Spiderman
24-07-06, 12:50 PM
McD's do have a thing at all stores where they do litter duty, just some stores are lazy and dont bother but it is part of their operations.

Back to the parks tho. Most peeps show up with a bag of some type to bring their food in so why they cant stuff all their rubbish in their is beyond me. Basic manners to leave things as you found them isnt it? Sadly we seem to live in a society that prefers leave litter and act as tho its their right to.

Makes me :hackedoff:

diamond
24-07-06, 12:54 PM
McD's do have a thing at all stores where they do litter duty, just some stores are lazy and dont bother but it is part of their operations.
They'll only pick up McD's litter though, if a newspaper or a chocolate bar wrapper is out the front of there shop they leave it. Even tho they have to step over it to get to the big mac wrapper.

Abyss
24-07-06, 01:06 PM
Problem is London is (dpending on where you are) it can be very hard to find a bin.

I hate littering and the only time you can get away with it is at a festival.

Demonz
24-07-06, 02:14 PM
Problem is London is (dpending on where you are) it can be very hard to find a bin.

I've heard that was a result of the IRA using the old bins to put bombs in - is that true? And as a result people have developed this habbit of littering as there are no bins about.

sharriso74
24-07-06, 02:19 PM
That was the reson I'm afraid also why they took out post boxes noreason for it now though. Should have bins like they have in Singapore with ashtrays on the top and don't start me on chewing gum

Mogs
24-07-06, 02:23 PM

They do in Birmingham, there are MacDonald's litter pickers with wheelie bin things regularly going round picking up their crap.

They have litter pickers in C'philly too. While their own property remains reasonably litter free, once it's blown over the boundary then it seems to negate their responsibility.

creamerybutter
24-07-06, 02:27 PM

They have litter pickers in C'philly too. While their own property remains reasonably litter free, once it's blown over the boundary then it seems to negate their responsibility.

They go all over the town centre here, that's not to say that you won't see any McDonald's rubbish anywhere though but it is more than the others do. Personally I have more problem with flyers, the ramp by the Palisades here is usually covered with flyers usually feet from the guy who gave them out and one end and the bin at the other. Can be slippy too if there are enough of them.

sharriso74
24-07-06, 02:31 PM
Simple solution. All the little scoates hanging around making a nucense of themselves on school holiday get em in some overalls and have them pick litter up for 6 weeks. Fresh air and exercise what more could they want

Spiderman
24-07-06, 02:57 PM
That was the reson I'm afraid also why they took out post boxes noreason for it now though. Should have bins like they have in Singapore with ashtrays on the top and don't start me on chewing gum

Dont get me started on all the things we should have to make every day life easier but we dont.

But now they will say we cant have more bins or postboxes due to the new terror threat :roll: I'm suprised they didnt ban planes after 9/11 on that same logic.

Abyss
24-07-06, 03:07 PM

I've heard that was a result of the IRA using the old bins to put bombs in - is that true? And as a result people have developed this habbit of littering as there are no bins about.

Think that was the first reason but majority of bins disapered after 7/7 bombs on the tubes.

Viney
24-07-06, 03:09 PM
This thread is Rubbish