PDA

View Full Version : Dyeing Leather.

FG1
24-11-06, 04:51 PM
Can the white bits on leather suits be dyed black or red successfully.
If anybody has done this with good results, what did you use.

K
24-11-06, 06:38 PM
It could well be done yes - but the how and success really depends on the state of the leather. To be honest - the older and worse looked after the better in a way as it is more likely to be clear of any finishing agents and therefore take the dye up relatively evenly.

First there's the cleaning - real cleaning - and we're not talking just soap and water here. A degreaser and deglazer such as Fiebings will get rid of any deep down dirt, waterproofer, any finishes etc after a few goes at it.

As for dying it - there's a few, soem with greater colour ranges than others - but your best bet is to go for black. Fiebing Oil Dye is the one I'd recommend for something like this.

Rub down to get rid of any excess and give it a bit of a buff, then finish it off with a couple of coats of Acrylic Resolene, Nikwax or other waterproofer.

Most of the reds available are not generally that lightfast on something this exposed to the elements. Also, to get a really rich colour you'd be better dying it yellow, then orange then red - the problem then is getting the colour even if it's over a largeish area.

Um - I'll see if I can get a website for you for a supplier - though bare in mind that something like this will have to be send by courier as it's flammable :twisted: and so can't go through regular post.

These guys are likely to have what you need and the advice you need to go with it.
http://www.theidentitystore.co.uk/contact/index.htm
Give the Northampton shop a ring, though not on a Wednesday as the guy to speak to (Roy) isn't in on that day.

FG1
26-11-06, 12:44 AM
K, cheers for that. It's more likely to be more hassle than it is worth but I will look into it.

Apophes
26-11-06, 01:48 AM
many moons ago when i was a size that would fit in a one piece
i had some leathers with white bits on mainly names and logo's

i got some shoe dye that had a sponge type aplicator on the end
did the white bits black and they were still black when i had an off at a race school
that was after 2 years wear