PDA

View Full Version : Anyone else had this?

poisonidea
21-12-06, 09:45 AM
Hi All,

Went for a drive to Bluewater last night to do some christmas shopping, however, when i got on the A2 I went to change into 3rd gear and *thats odd* there's nothing there! the gear change pedel had fallen off and was just swinging beneath the bike! I had to drive to the next exit in 2nd gear (which wasn't fun) and to add insult to injury some guy pulled alongside me and shouted "you've left ya hazards on mate!" :?

Luckily I managed to fix it using the SV tool kit on the fly but it highlighted what a shoddy method is used to attatch the pedal the the bike. Anyway, just wondered if anyone else had had this...?

Chris

Baph
21-12-06, 09:46 AM
Ouch! Not pretty!

Not had it myself, but did it come off at the pivot point (near the footpeg) or the gear selector (by the gearbox)?

I'll definitely be checking those bolts don't come off too easily!

poisonidea
21-12-06, 09:50 AM
Yeah I would definately check it, I replaced the O-ring that holds the pedal on coz the one that was on there was rubbish (could get it off with bare hands) But looking at how its set up I can't believe this is a one off...

TSM
21-12-06, 09:51 AM
I beleave this is a known issue.

Scoobs
21-12-06, 09:52 AM
I beleave this is a known issue.

Yep.

Heard about it a few times on here.

poisonidea
21-12-06, 09:53 AM
Yeah i did try a search but got hundreds of irelevent results, sorry if its been on here loads guys...

Scoobs
21-12-06, 09:54 AM
sorry if its been on here loads guys...

No need to apologise. Better safe than sorry fella.

poisonidea
21-12-06, 10:00 AM
Oh and baph, it came off by the footpeg, was still connected to the gearbox.

STRAMASHER
21-12-06, 10:22 AM
I really don't like the suzuki set-up for these things( Mates Blandit is the same). Caused me problems last year with a sticking shift(2nd gear too). Absolute bastid trying to get hangers off too.

You must have sounded like a maniac tho'! :lol:

Had a gear linkage snap on my firestorm. 0-130 stuck in 3rd. Fine on the open road . Towns tho' and i was mortified pulling away from lights, loads of revs, stinky clutch open pipes. :oops:

Pretty feckin scary if this happened in traffic. Glad you managed to fix it. Think I will pay it a bit more attention if this a known occurence. :?

Ceri JC
21-12-06, 10:25 AM
"They all do that, Sir".

Well, not all of them, but when me and The Mass were trying to get this sorted out, I ran a poll and almost 50% of pointy owners had had this problem, typically within the first few thousand miles.
Despite loads of us ringing Suzuki to complain, not only did they deny that there was any problem, but also that there had been other complaints about it (even though many of us spoke to the same guy!)

No one, to my knowledge has been injured as a result of this, but the potential for it is great; whilst filtering, when needing to change gear mid-overtake, etc.

Tightening it up is easy (provided you have a spanner thin enough) and I proposed that they add re-torquing it to the first service schedule. They said they'd "pass the comments on" and consider it, but evidently they have done SFA.

What year bike is it and what's the mileage, baph?

thor
21-12-06, 10:38 AM
I'm guessing it's a K4? It's happened to a few people here. Mine was a bit loose too.

the white rabbit
21-12-06, 10:38 AM
Its the K4's what did it isnt it?...........doh!!! :lol:

Poisonidea, your avatar is intriguing? Explain please, do... :D

Baph
21-12-06, 10:48 AM
"almost 50% of pointy owners had had this problem, typically within the first few thousand miles.
What year bike is it and what's the mileage, baph?

Well, since you ask, mine is a K6, with around 10k on the clock. But it was poisonidea who's gear lever fell off ;)

Hopefully I'm outside that bracket of "usual gear lever" faults.

Interesting that Suzuki argued the point, but then, not really that surprising. "Um, no, there's no fault we're aware of, it must be an isolated incident." Glad I've got a 2 year unlimited mileage warranty. Should the dealership I bought the bike from even think about arguing over something like that, I'll repeat the sales guys words back to him "If anything breaks on the bike, and it's not consumable, it's covered by the warranty" then promptly shove the Sale of Goods Act down their throats.

But knowing the service given by the dealership, it shouldn't be an issue at all :) (Even though they did forget to plug my Reg/Rect in when they put the bike together)

poisonidea
21-12-06, 11:40 AM
Its the K4's what did it isnt it?...........doh!!!

Poisonidea, your avatar is intriguing? Explain please, do...

Its a K6 actually, milage is about 3500.

The avatar was just a pic i stumbled across and i thought it was funny :lol: ... not sure if the captions visible, it says "is it still there?" hehe

the white rabbit
21-12-06, 01:03 PM
Its the K4's what did it isnt it?...........doh!!!

Poisonidea, your avatar is intriguing? Explain please, do...

Its a K6 actually, milage is about 3500.

The avatar was just a pic i stumbled across and i thought it was funny :lol: ... not sure if the captions visible, it says "is it still there?" hehe

There was an opportunity there to appear really smart :lol:

Oh and good to know suzuki are operating under a policy of continual product development then :lol:

tonyt
21-12-06, 04:44 PM
Had the same problem on my sv1000 ... luckily I was in 3rd gear and got home ok with the gear lever hanging in the air... :roll: