PDA

View Full Version : Help me build a spare bolt box; what are all the common bolt

F16Falcon
23-12-06, 03:00 PM
I would like to improve the quality of many bolts on my bike. My primary concern is that I find many bolts that are beginning to strip or that I end up stripping myself when removing. I need bolts that are least likely to strip and that allow for convenient removal. So looking at materials and head shapes and sizes. I want to go online and order like a whole bunch of bolts, just like those kits in Autozone or other auto stores. Was told not to get stainless steel for certain parts. Also, although this kit will be for entire bike, I would like to focus on any and all bolts you would run into while taking apart your bike to clean carbs or clean plugs. So hose clamps for carbs, carbs them selves, air box, radiator mounts...

Also while I'm at it is there a way I can improve on the smaller hose clamps(fuel lines/vacuum)? Any other parts I can change to make my life easier when doing maintenance and repair work?

The kind of answers I'm looking for is like:

"Buy many 4mm bolts of all sizes as this is very popular
buy 8MM from 1/2"-2"
buy some 6mm 1" long

Allen heads are the way to go!!"

That was just an example and just includes random bolt sizes and head recommendation. Looking for actual answers from you guys that has similar information.

Thanks!! similar Christmas

Heed
23-12-06, 04:14 PM
You could just buy a stainless bolt kit from eBay for about £14. Fit them then keep the current ones as spares.

timwilky
23-12-06, 05:27 PM
throw a few beer tokens of the realm Chewys way. He has gone through the exercise and built up bolt kits for the SV,

kwak zzr
23-12-06, 06:25 PM
yea chewy's stuff.

Spider
23-12-06, 07:49 PM
Who`s Chewy?

timwilky
23-12-06, 08:07 PM
Who`s Chewy?

our friend from the North (http://www.chewys-stuff.co.uk/)

DarrenSV650S
23-12-06, 08:15 PM
our friend from the North (http://www.chewys-stuff.co.uk/)
Ok am I seeing things or are the crash protectors for fully faired SV's on that site only £11.50 + P&P :shock: :shock:
Does anyone know if these require you to cut the fairings :?:

chewy22
06-05-07, 11:10 AM
Who`s Chewy?
Hi all not been around the forums much lately and can only apologise if I haven’t answered any questions. I bought myself a sweet shop “Yes it’s called chewy’s”
And its been taking up an awful amount of my spare time. I have just about got it running smoothly now so I can spend a bit more time here and on the other forums.
Just done a search and all I can say is a big thank you to all who have given out my name and details.

Regards Chris

Manguish
06-05-07, 11:12 AM
Great service - big up Chewy ;)

kcowgergmm
07-05-07, 03:47 AM
:-) :-) wow i like a lot of the stuff i saw on chewys page

danf1234
07-05-07, 08:42 AM
I have bought quite a few things from Chewy and I can say all his stuff is top notch and well priced too.

I am considering doing the bolt exchange on my bike.