PDA

View Full Version : SV650Sport vs FZ6 Fazer...?

MikeC
23-12-06, 06:12 PM
Obviously i'm gonna get a very biased opinion here, but having ridden neither bike I'm hoping someone could enlighten me.

I'm all ready to guy a SV650Sport but I got the opportunity to sit on a couple of Fazers (both an FZS600 and the newer FZ6) the other day and I have to say, the Fazer is the more comfortable bike. It also has a better pillion provision and better luggage options, so you can see me being swayed a little bit...I'm just wondering if anyone else faced this dilemma and what made you choose the SV? Personally, i think the SV Sport is a better looking bike, especially compared to the FZS600 but still better than the FZ6 too, but there's a lot of other factors in choosing a bike!

If it makes any difference to the bikes suitability, I'm 6' tall, athletic build, 13.5 stone, the missus is 5'4", athletic, 7.5 stone, my useage will be commuting (so build quality/corrosion resistance could be a factor?) pleasure riding on my own and with the missus, and possibly some light touring round northern France, etc.

Ta. :)

kwak zzr
23-12-06, 06:24 PM
i went for the sv because of 1. price
2. looks
3. its a v twin!

a local yam dealer was doing good deals on the fz6 when i got the sv but TBH i didnt like the look of it and i wanted a change from the rev'y IL4 engine config.

fizzwheel
23-12-06, 06:31 PM
I've got two words for you "Test Ride" then make your own mind up. Don't take advice from a load of strangers on an internet forum that you dont know and havent met.

I know it sounds harsh, but you've posted an awful lot of questions and IMHO you need to make your own mind up as its you thats going to have to ride whatever bike you buy and not anybody else and you cant judge what a bikes like to ride jsut by sitting on it a dealers showroom.

Remember the only time you see what the bike looks like is when your not riding it. So buy something that does what you want rather than just buying on looks alone. If your worried about comfort then buy a bike that you find comfortable.

All of the current crop of middleweight bikes are capable of meeting your requirements you just need to make up whcih one YOU like best. Every bike if you don't look after it is going to at some point go rusty. Its regular maintenance and cleaning is what keeps them nice. However Honda's seem to stand up to mucky roads a little better than other brands of bike.

Now down to Fazers, I havent ridden the latest model Fazer, but it always get a slating in the magazine reviews for being rev happy, i.e it needs plenty of revs in order for it to go. which is now bad thing it depends however on your riding style. IIRC the gearbox is notchy and the brakes are about the same level as the SV. Now if you commuting or touring you want something with a fairing on it so that IMHO rules out a naked bike.

You might want to look at the previous generation of Fazer, everybody who I have spoken to loves them, my dads had two and he really does like it. Same brakes as the R1, detuned thundercat motor which has plenty of stomp from low down in the RPM range unlike the current bike. Also being 2nd hand you can pick one up for less and your insurance will be cheaper.

You might want to think about the Honda Hornet as well. Have looked at Bandit, What about Kawasaki 750 might be up your street to, Also so might be the Kawasaki ER6, also dont forget about the Suzuki GSR600 either. If your going to be doing a lot of two up touring then you need to be looking at something a bit bigger like a VFR.

Dysparunia
23-12-06, 06:49 PM
Nah, get the SV :wink:

MikeC
23-12-06, 06:53 PM
Thanks fizz. I would love a test ride, but nowhere seems to be able to give me one at this time of year! I guess dealers run their stocks a bit lower, and the dealer I'd get the SV from doesn't have a demonstrator - plus many dealers won't let u test ride bikes in poor weather, of which there's an abundance at this time of year!

I can test ride an FZ6 next week which I may well do, but there's no SV650's about for me to have a go on, and if i want the Sport with the free insurance I may well just have to buy it without riding it...I guess having no real comparison, I should adapt to it pretty easily. Just hope it doesn't kill my lower back if I do go for the SV!

As u said, naked bikes are ruled out and smtg like a VFR is a bit too big - I may only keep my first bike for a year and see where my riding takes me - if it does look like more toruing then I'll get a VFR800 VTEC, no questions, I love 'em. If not, I may keep my chosen steed!

The SV is still in the top spot, I just wanted to make sure that the FZ6 isn't a blindingly good bike I'm ignoring on the grounds of looks alone! :)

fizzwheel
23-12-06, 07:01 PM
Just hope it doesn't kill my lower back if I do go for the SV!

It won't honestly I think your making the clipon's on the SVS out to be more uncomfortable than they actually are. I've done thousands of miles on my SVS its never given me a bad back. My girlfriend uses her K5 SVS for a 120 mile commute everday shes never had a bad back either. It might make you ache for a few days when you first get it but you will get used to it.

If the dealer won't give you a test ride, try another dealer, at this time of year bike sales are slow so they should be keen to make a sale. If they arent keen to take your money off you what are they going to be like at after sales service etc when it comes to service time etc etc.

MikeC
23-12-06, 07:12 PM
All true - I think I found the SV to have quite a sporty riding position when sat on it in the shop, but as you say you prob get used to it - I was just checking that was likely to be the case! :) The SV is still my favourite of the lot...;)

As for test rides, the dealer has 4 SV's in stock but all are unregistered K6 models so I def cant ride any - no tax, plates, insurance, etc!. Other than that, the dealer is really quite pleasant to deal with so I have no qualms about buying from them, plus they're super local (2 miles) so if anything goes drastically wrong with the bike I can ride or trailer it down there easy enough! :D

Spider
23-12-06, 07:37 PM
Bit of back ground for you. I ride SV650n, my first V-twin and love it. My brother (6"3, 17 stone, his girlfriend, 5"3, 7 1/2 stone) rides FZ6. Recently we have both had our bikes trashed by other people (thanks car drivers!!) and have both been given 650n bandits as courtesy bikes. Now i would say SV all day long because it suits me personally, however i rode the bandit to Newquay 1 weekend and then to Co. Durham the following w/end, only complaint is it`s flat as f*^" til you hit about 7 grand, haven`t done a long journey on the SV but don`t think it would be as comfy as the bandit.

Now my brothers input.

I have rode my brothers SV and its is superb for him, load of fun to have on your own. My FZ6n is absolutely perfect for taking a pillion passenger, ultimate comfort and still loads of power and fun.
The build quality is outstanding, smooth as u like no clunks or jerks, every time i take my girl on the bandit all she says is hurry up and get your bike back ! ! If u want your bike for just u get the SV if u want it for long trips u will not get better than the FZ6n. Quick tip with the FZ6 u must get the belly pan it completely changes the look of the bike ! !

All that said and done, test ride is the way ahead

MikeC
23-12-06, 07:55 PM
Thanks Spider and your brother! :)

Itl'll mainly be just me riding it but i'd like to take mates on the back now and then, or the missus. For instance, her parents are 120 miles away up the A1 - would that be out of the question for the two of us on the SV?

I really do need to test ride both....!

Spider
23-12-06, 08:30 PM
Don`t think it`s out of the question, however like pretty much any bike having someone on the back will upset geometory, handling etc. Like i said, SV all day long and if the missus wants to see the parents put her on a train n meet her there! :lol:

The Basket
23-12-06, 10:16 PM
I never liked the looks of the Fazer so never bothered with it.

The budget 600 class is very tight and all make good bikes. You never mentioned the Kawasaki Z750!

The attraction of the SV is lightweight, cheap, the Suzuki deals and the V-twin mini-ducati thing.

The SVS is not comfy compared to others in the class. But it ain't killer either.

Dysparunia
23-12-06, 10:39 PM
The SVS is not comfy compared to others in the class. But it ain't killer either.

I'd qualify that by saying some don't find it as comfy, but that's not to say it's NOT comfy, just not AS comfy. I reckon anyway.

Incidentally I used to get more backache on my old XR125 (off-roady type learner legal bike), which had a very upright riding position.

MikeC
23-12-06, 11:11 PM
What adjustment is there on the suspension of the SVS to compensate for pillions and heavier riders, which at an athletic 13.5 stone I apparently am (which is a bit shocking!).

Vfr400
24-12-06, 02:49 AM
Unless you specifically want a new bike a secondhand Yamaha Thundercat might fit your needs especially as you may only keep it a year.
Said to be reasonably quick and comfortable too.
chris

steveg
24-12-06, 10:45 AM
I have owned a Mk1 fazer 600 , absolutely great bike did 50 k trouble free miles , for carrying a pillion its a lot better than the sv IMHO

However for a solo bike the sv is more fun , I'm 6 ft 15 stone , so the Fazer was more comfortable , however the sv is more fun .

Test ride loads of bikes if you can as already mentioned the thundercat is a great bike , or may be a steel framed Cbr 600 ?

Cheers Steve

fizzwheel
24-12-06, 10:55 AM
What adjustment is there on the suspension of the SVS to compensate for pillions and heavier riders, which at an athletic 13.5 stone I apparently am (which is a bit shocking!).

Rear preload only. Again like I said before IMHO your thinking to much about this. I've taken a pillion plenty of times on my SVS with standard suspension settings and a tired rear shock it was fine.

The bike shouldnt compensate for the pillion your riding should.

The Basket
24-12-06, 11:08 AM
Never liked the Fazer...now the Honda Hornet...would have looked long and hard if price was right.

I agree with Fizz in that you are thinking too much. Motorcycles should never be a common sense choice!

A Yamaha TDM900 is said to be good for pillion and stuff and can be had cheap second hand. Better than a Fazer for your riding.

netsurfer
24-12-06, 11:48 AM
now the Honda Hornet...would have looked long and hard if price was right.

The high secondhand price of the Hornet was an inflencing factor when I was looking for my 1st bike, had it been lower I dont think i'd have an SV now :shock:

Pete

northwind
24-12-06, 06:12 PM
The Fazer's a really good bike, it just didn't do what I wanted it to... Bit, well, bit too much of a tool and not enough of a toy. Not that you can't have great fun on a Fazer but it's got very little style IMO. If you want to go there and back with as little bother, and comfort's a real issue, then the Fazer and faired Hornet are both ace machines, better than the SV IMO.

If Honda made an 80bhp v-twin Hornet, that's what I'd have :)

The Basket
24-12-06, 07:40 PM
The Fazer's a really good bike, it just didn't do what I wanted it to... Bit, well, bit too much of a tool and not enough of a toy. Not that you can't have great fun on a Fazer but it's got very little style IMO. If you want to go there and back with as little bother, and comfort's a real issue, then the Fazer and faired Hornet are both ace machines, better than the SV IMO.

If Honda made an 80bhp v-twin Hornet, that's what I'd have :)

Honda do have a 650 vtwin coz it powers the deauville.

I'm sure a lighter, sportier frame would make a good little roadster. I would certainly say the Hornet is a better overall machine than the SV...but no the Fazer. Don't like it and never have.

northwind
24-12-06, 07:43 PM
Honda do have a 650 vtwin coz it powers the deauville.

And the old Bros. But it makes about 20bhp :)

cmit37
27-12-06, 09:14 PM
You never mentioned the Kawasaki Z750!

Got one of them for Christmas in black(Z750S) - what a beauty and it is so smooth and powerful. I have no idea what all the talk is about vibes and uncomfortable seat. I have had a go on the FZ6 Fazer also and thought that it was a nice smooth ride. I didn't notice the notchy gearbox either.

MikeC
27-12-06, 10:18 PM
Well I test rode an SV650S today, as per here: http://forums.sv650.org/viewtopic.php?t=49427

Riding a Fazer tmrw and making a decision then! :D

northwind
28-12-06, 12:59 PM
I found the Fazer feels a little strange at first, so try and get a good long test ride... Takes me a little longer to get my head round that sort of bike personally, and there's no point making decisions based on that sort of first impression I think.

Frogman
29-12-06, 08:17 PM
Hey

I'm also looking at getting a new bike at the moment & have some test ride observations to pass on:
Nakeds:
GSR600 - absolutely brilliant! smooth, fast, lots of torque, even in the lower rev range, feels glued to the road no matter what & looks great.
Z750 - not bad, but not as smooth or torquey as the GSR. Even with the extra 150cc it doesn't feel as powerful as the GSR & though it is a good looking bike the GSR beats it there too!

Faired:
CBR600FS - this is the one (or CBR600F) if you've got a few years no-claims (more then 2!) & can aford the higher price tag. The riding position is almost exactly the same as the curvy SVSs but it feels more nimble. It doesn't feel as fast because it doesn't have the brutal low range torque but believe me it is! One glance at the speedo & you'll realise that what felt like 60 is actually 100!
SV650S - rode the K5 and can't complain about a thing (except the colours)! I did expect more power as compared to my '99 model but I didn't get to take it on a country road or a motorway.

I have decided that I need a faired/semi-faired bike so the next step is to take the SVSport on a good test ride, but I think the decisions just about made. Any excuse to take a few maore bikes on a test ride though!

kwak zzr
29-12-06, 08:45 PM
the first fazer was a supurb bike but i think yamaha are trying too hard now to keep up in the 600cc budget class, and it ugly as sin :wink:

cmit37
30-12-06, 09:44 AM
Hey
Z750 - not bad, but not as smooth or torquey as the GSR. Even with the extra 150cc it doesn't feel as powerful as the GSR & though it is a good looking bike the GSR beats it there too!

Did you test them at about the same time(perhaps different levels of experience, different mood etc. for example the first time I rode an IL4 I thought that it was underpowered until I understood that you have to be more confident with the throttle and once I learned that I started to appreciate how powerful an IL4 can be)? All the comparison articles note how much more powerful the Z engine is and looking at the Dyno charts the Z750 spanks the GSR on torque and HP at any RPM plus the top HP and top torque values are 39-40lb/ft for the GSR and 52lb/ft for the Z750. The GSR600 has 87hp at the rear wheel against 100hp for the Z.