PDA

View Full Version : Recommend me an adhesive

svrash
28-12-06, 12:12 AM
My magnets that run my speedo conversion keep falling of my brake discs, i can't use the holders that come with the kit because they don't fit the wavy discs i got :roll:

I used araldite but that obviously didn't work, what would be best?

ejohnh
28-12-06, 12:17 AM
My magnets that run my speedo conversion keep falling of my brake discs, i can't use the holders that come with the kit because they don't fit the wavy discs i got :roll:

Blimey mate,
If Araldite didn't work you didn't use it properly. Cos it has always worked long term for me.
John

svrash
28-12-06, 12:21 AM

Blimey mate,
If Araldite didn't work you didn't use it properly. Cos it has always worked long term for me.
John
It was the "rapid" stuff, i don't think its as strong as the real one

ejohnh
28-12-06, 12:24 AM

Blimey mate,
John
It was the "rapid" stuff, i don't think its as strong as the real one

YOu might be right.

Give the trad araldite a go.

IN truth it has never quit on me and we go back a long way. lol!
JOhn

jonboy
28-12-06, 12:47 PM
I've found Araldite Rapid to be fantastic. One of the ally lugs on the swingarm (that hold on the chainguard) is stuck on using the Rapid version, it's now done a good 5k miles since, and is as solid as a rock. I can't underline the need for good preparation: both surfaces should be slightly roughened, to give a good "key", and be totally grease free (even a fingerprint can make the difference between success and failure).

northwind
28-12-06, 12:53 PM
Drill the disc and put a bolt through, maybe? Assuming the magnets are the same as mine anyway...

I used different magnets for teh Veypor, they were always falling off so I dilled a very shallow hole into the disc, just enough to sit the magnet slightly into. Big difference...

Viney
28-12-06, 01:09 PM
I've found Araldite Rapid to be fantastic. One of the ally lugs on the swingarm (that hold on the chainguard) is stuck on using the Rapid version, it's now done a good 5k miles since, and is as solid as a rock. I can't underline the need for good preparation: both surfaces should be slightly roughened, to give a good "key", and be totally grease free (even a fingerprint can make the difference between success and failure).

.How on earth did you snap a lug in the 1st place?

jonboy
28-12-06, 02:07 PM
Ah, yes, cos I'm a numpty :lol: . Couldn't get one of the two screws undone, so I used a hammer on the end of the screwdriver and tried to bang/twist it undone, and yes I found out the ally lug didn't like this, cos it fractured and fell off :oops: . Still, you've got to learn... :-dd

Viney
28-12-06, 02:33 PM
Ah, yes, cos I'm a numpty :lol: . Couldn't get one of the two screws undone, so I used a hammer on the end of the screwdriver and tried to bang/twist it undone, and yes I found out the ally lug didn't like this, cos it fractured and fell off :oops: . Still, you've got to learn... :-dd

Ah. And theres me thinking you where a sensible chap ;)

svrash
30-12-06, 10:34 AM
Drill the disc and put a bolt through, maybe? Assuming the magnets are the same as mine anyway...
I gave the magnets to TSM as i didn't need them for the wavy discs and magnets are cheap enough off ebay (20x 8mm dia x 3mm = £5.45 :D )

I used different magnets for teh Veypor, they were always falling off so I dilled a very shallow hole into the disc, just enough to sit the magnet slightly into. Big difference...
That might be the way forward :wink:

ianofbhills
30-12-06, 07:48 PM
if you cant mend it j b weld it!!!!

try j b weld on it its available from halfrauds.

JB Weld
JBWELD

Don't Scrap it
J-B Weld it!

Tensile strenght 4000 psi after 24 hours
Resistant to constant temperature up to 300 c
Pliable for upto 25 minutes
Permanently bonds metal, plastic, ceramic, wood, masonary
can be drilled, filled, sanded, machined, tapped and painted
25 year shelf life once opened blah blah blah