PDA

View Full Version : SV blown over. Damn!

philh
01-01-07, 03:50 PM
Bloody weather. Got woken up at 0430 this morning by the sound of my Datatool alarm going off. Threw the curtains back to see my lovely bike lying on its right-hand side. NOOOO!!! The weather had really whipped up during the night, it was blowing a gale.

The damage? The tiniest of scratches on my Scorpion can, a scratch on the bellypan, broken indicator and a munched right-hand bar end. Lucky!

It's clear that the bar end took the brunt of the fall. The fact that the right hand bar end sticks out quite far when the steering lock is on meant that the bungs were greatly assisted in saving the fairing. Phew!

I took her out for a ride this morning and all seemed well. However, I'm wondering if there are any not-so-obvious checks that I should make as a matter of course? Would falling on the bar damage the yoke, bars or steering lock? following the fall I did have to change the washer in the bar end for a fatter one as the bar end was too close to the throttle grip and was preventing it from closing smoothly.

A great start to 2007! :? Happy New Year everyone! :lol:

John Burt
01-01-07, 03:54 PM
Bad luck M8, might be worth checking you haven't bent the clip on - easiest way to tell is to strip it down and place a straight edge along it. Also worth checking out your steering lock still engages correctly and that the lock stops aren't damaged.

Warthog
02-01-07, 11:58 AM
Aargh bad luck mate, the exact same thing happened to me! Only it hit a curb smack in the middle of my can, so there is a huge dent and scratch in it :(. My bar end is bent, but not too badly, but I need a new front right indicator (bulb and wiring still ok) and the front brake lever is snapped as usual. Can anyone help with spare parts from a broken bike? Kwak, is your old 650 still around?

I hate wind, its been crazy ever since I moved to Oxford.

philh
02-01-07, 12:45 PM
Warthog - Uours blew over during the weekend too? :shock: It's been windy pretty much everywhere hasn't it. :evil: Sorry to hear that your can took a whack. When I saw mine lying on it's side I was sure that my Scorp' Titanium would be buggered. I was lucky.

I'm now really paranoid about it happening again and I've come up with a crazy solution. I'm gonna buy a sandbag from B&Q and plop it over the sidestand when I park up for the night. Obviously I can't carry a sandbag around with me so I'm still in the lap of the Gods when I park away from home! I'll need to try and use a bit of common sense and not park across the wind. :?

Hopefully the sandbag will be enough to offer that extra bit of resistance to a freak gust! Perhaps I could also wrap her in a duvet before putting the cover on...

Thanks for the tips John. The steering lock is A-OK and the stops seems fine. I'll check the clip-on but it looks OK too.
It's kinda funny now. At lights I keep checking my steering alignment by staring down through my yoke. I know all is OK but I'm paranoid that the bars are just off to the left. Then I miss the lights changing and get beeped by the car behind. :roll:

BTW - little sympathy from the Wife. She claims I've had a wind problem for years... :lol: :?

Warthog
03-01-07, 01:47 PM
Mine blew over at some point over christmas; I came back to find it over so I don't know exactly when it happened. The can is stock, so no big loss, and aside from the indicator, I can pretty much still ride again, its just the wind just took bloody hundreds of pounds of it's value. I am going to sue God I think. :evil: :lol:

thedonal
03-01-07, 02:34 PM
Yep- me too, as in my tyres n stuff thread- onto the right side and the fairings cracked around the indicator stalk and underneath from the stress- no bungs. Getting some though. I hadn't even been out for a proper ride on her! Found a much safer place to park her along the windflow, rather than across it. I guess covers will just act as sails in these situations which doesn't help.

netsurfer
03-01-07, 02:42 PM
Just returned home from Scotland after the festive period to find 3 large trees have blown down and a fence around the garden pond is no longer there. Thankfully my SV was in the garage nice n snug

Didnt think the storms were so bad :( we had very decent weather up in Scotland

Pete

oldjack
03-01-07, 05:14 PM
Before I had a garage I used a cover and was always worried it would act as a sail and help blow the bike over in a strong wind, but it never did. However I found that the wind blew dust under the cover which acted like abrasive when the cover was blowing about and took the paint off the corners of the tank and panels. I was never sure whether the cover did more harm than good.

Warthog
04-01-07, 01:06 PM
My cover is a Motrax one, and as such is a ripped and melted piece of sh*t, and of no use at all. My lovely bike is just stuck out in the wind and rain and there is nothing I can do about it. I rarely use it now anyway as ever since I have been in Oxford I have commuted in the car due to continual rain. *sigh* I should have sold it in Autumn to be honest. Now just grit my teeth til spring.