PDA

View Full Version : Tax thief!

Lazzer
03-01-07, 10:46 AM
Hello,

Some annoying gimp has relieved me of my tax disc + holder. They also managed to lose the bolt holding it on (the 'rear' chain guard holding bolt). Does anyone know where I can get a new bolt quickly - I'm trying to sell my bike at the moment! It's a K4.

Cheers, Happy New Year all.

thor
03-01-07, 10:57 AM
Most dealers or workshops will give you the bolt for free.

tricky
03-01-07, 11:16 AM
Most dealers or workshops will give you the bolt for free.

Failing that should be able to get one from Halfords or any DIY shop, its about a 20mm M6 I think, though I stand to be corrected.

Sadly you'll have to buy a pack of 10 or something and pay through the nose.

Lazzer
03-01-07, 11:28 AM
Sweet, I'll give fowlers a call to try a freeby!

Thanks....

Jonooffler
03-01-07, 04:40 PM
Hi mate I take it that as you said Fowlers you must live in Bath or Bristol ? I left my SV in Bath the other day and had my tax disk stolen ( my tax disk holder was on the chain guard bolt to ) The police have called me four times about it now and are very keen to talk about it, I think that there is some one out there steeling chain guard bolts to order .
Sorry for you through mate, the disk costs about £19.00 for a copy and the you need a holder I had a chain loober fitted to mine as well thats got to be replace at my cost.
Jono

Baph
03-01-07, 04:46 PM
If you get a crime number for it being stolen, there's no need to display the tax disc (apparently).

If you get a tug, call them up & explain, providing vehicle details & crime number, DVLA & Police will verify your story.

Why pay £19 because of some scroat?

silent
03-01-07, 06:36 PM
good advice to get a crime number . 08454567000 for you mate, goes through to the force service center for Avon and somerset, say you wish to report a crime and youll get an incident receiver who will fill out a crime report for you. Nothing will be done but you will have a crime number to quote.

Andy

Nostrils
03-01-07, 08:20 PM
I dont display my tax disc! On a BikeSafe Day the police instructor inspecting the bike didnt notice, so I pointed it out to him - He said he totally understood! I asked if I would get stopped by the police and he said it was unlikely unless there was something suspicious about the details they check before a stop!!

I havent worried about it too much, but think I might get a secure fitting holder from somewhere!!

Heed
03-01-07, 11:05 PM
A lot of bikers have a photocopy on the bike with the words "Original with Owner" in the holder. Just keep the original in your wallet. Apparently most coppers are OK with this due to the reasons mentioned above.

TSM
03-01-07, 11:10 PM
My tax disk has not been on the bike for nearly 2 years now, and no problem yet. Its always with me in my wallet.

tricky
04-01-07, 08:50 AM
I would think that in the next few years this kind of thing should decline, what with it all being computerised.

Stig
04-01-07, 09:01 AM
Tax, insurance and MoT are now all interlinked. If the police stop you, they can check all the details just by the registration number and a check of your driving license to ensure that you are who you say you are. Nothing to worry about. I don't have tax displayed on either of my bikes and have been pulled various times for various things. I hand over my license and they make all the necessary checks over the radio.

Baph
04-01-07, 09:06 AM
The problem I can see is that the law states you must display a tax disc on the left side of the bike (IIRC). So you end up with some jumped up civil servant traffic warden notice that you haven't got one. Prime target for a ticketing.

Crime number BEFORE a ticket, give them a call to explain, ticket goes away (and hopefully said civil servant gets a slap ;) )

Jonooffler
04-01-07, 10:12 AM
Hi just to add to this thread when I had mine nicked I asked the police about what to do about a replacement and was told that,
1) You have to have a Tax disk on your bike it's an offence not to have one, if you have a crime number they will give you 1 month to get a replacement one if you don't the DVLA are told that yours was stolen and they make a note that you have not asked for a replacement, this information can then be used in court.
2) A colour Photocopy can't be used in your tax disk holder as it it an offence to show a manipulated disk, this can and will **** the courts off big time.
3) If you have your disk in you wallet and you riding your bike that ok but once you stop and park up you are commiting an offence and will get you a fine.

The only advice the police could give me was not to buy a nice looking tax disk holder as they said most scrotes steal the holder and not the tax disk.
They did add as well that due the the ease of which a tax disk can be taken most coppers and wardens are told to keep an eye on for bike tax and to fine for any missuse.
I have my tax disk laminated in disk safe and have thread locked and nylocked the bloody thing down.
I have a loan bike at the moment due to a stupid driver ( see the thread marked Stupid )
and this bike has the disk holder that is glued together and thread locked to the bike.
looks like **** but if it stops the scrotes it might be worth it.

Viney
04-01-07, 01:15 PM
Hi just to add to this thread when I had mine nicked I asked the police about what to do about a replacement and was told that,
1) You have to have a Tax disk on your bike it's an offence not to have one, if you have a crime number they will give you 1 month to get a replacement one if you don't the DVLA are told that yours was stolen and they make a note that you have not asked for a replacement, this information can then be used in court.
2) A colour Photocopy can't be used in your tax disk holder as it it an offence to show a manipulated disk, this can and will p*ss the courts off big time.
3) If you have your disk in you wallet and you riding your bike that ok but once you stop and park up you are commiting an offence and will get you a fine.

The only advice the police could give me was not to buy a nice looking tax disk holder as they said most scrotes steal the holder and not the tax disk.
They did add as well that due the the ease of which a tax disk can be taken most coppers and wardens are told to keep an eye on for bike tax and to fine for any missuse.
I have my tax disk laminated in disk safe and have thread locked and nylocked the bloody thing down.
I have a loan bike at the moment due to a stupid driver ( see the thread marked Stupid )
and this bike has the disk holder that is glued together and thread locked to the bike.
looks like sh*t but if it stops the scrotes it might be worth it.

I've had 2 'crap' disc holders knicked. So bang goes that theory.

Its all down to the copper that stops you. I havent been stopped in 5 years. Last time i was stopped, they where blitzing a bike meet.

carrickman
04-01-07, 01:34 PM
I had mine in an Oxford Products tax disk holder which sheared through in Ballycastle,
the first I knew about it was when the Police found it and posted it back to me.
:D

Scoobs
04-01-07, 01:45 PM
The only advice the police could give me was not to buy a nice looking tax disk holder

[/quote]

I had a decent tax disk holder. They just snapped it off of the bike so it was useless anyway. So bang goes that theory again.

BernardBikerchick
06-01-07, 04:42 PM
Hello,

Some annoying gimp has relieved me of my tax disc + holder. They also managed to lose the bolt holding it on (the 'rear' chain guard holding bolt). Does anyone know where I can get a new bolt quickly - I'm trying to sell my bike at the moment! It's a K4.

Cheers, Happy New Year all.

same happened to me not long ago t%ats !!!!!!! its bolted glued and welded to my exhaust now thanks to a certain other forum member!! :wink: :wink:

Quiff Wichard
06-01-07, 07:18 PM
The only advice the police could give me was not to buy a nice looking tax disk holder

I had a decent tax disk holder. They just snapped it off of the bike so it was useless anyway. So bang goes that theory again.[/quote]

well you will come up NORF scoobs - where the rough boys are !!