PDA

View Full Version : Tank spacers - advice req'd

netsurfer
03-01-07, 03:12 PM
If I fit tank spacers on their own (just for a little more airflow and induction growl) what are the chances I will require the fuelling looked at?

I'm not intending to go to a high flow filter, just stock - dont think i'll bother de-snorkelling either. Only other mods that might affect, are the scorpion can.

Pete

Duck-man
03-01-07, 03:40 PM
Hey pete,

I have just fitted spacers to mine (which also has no snorkel, a K&N, and a new can) and I have not noticed any great difference to the fueling side that would warrant refueling (i will probably be correct here by northy ;) )

If i had the cash and spare time then maybe I may try and get it done but i don't really see the need unless you are really desperate to squeeze a few more horses out of your curvy?

It has smoothed the power delivery out though :D i used to get a massive dip and then a rush between 3000-4500 ish but its gone now :D

And sounds great (that will be the can not the spacers)

Hope this helps?

Quack

hovis
03-01-07, 03:42 PM
duck-man,

did you remove the padding from under the tank?

Duck-man
03-01-07, 03:49 PM
think so?

why?

i will check the night

hovis
03-01-07, 03:52 PM
just from reading previous posts it would make it a bit louder

but i dont think it makes too much differance on performacnce

am i right again BAPH? :wink:

SV650Racer
03-01-07, 03:57 PM
It hardly makes much difference to be honest from trying it on my racebike back to back as opposed to removing half the airbox lid and baffling it out.

The extra noise is due to you being able to hear the air intake a bit more.

netsurfer
03-01-07, 04:04 PM
Thanks guys...

My thinking on it was that restricting the airflow (with the tank position) would richen the mixture?
So raising the tank would lean it out?

My main worry is burning exhaust valves out etc

Pete

SV650Racer
03-01-07, 04:15 PM
Thanks guys...

My thinking on it was that restricting the airflow (with the tank position) would richen the mixture?
So raising the tank would lean it out?

My main worry is burning exhaust valves out etc

Pete

It wont affect it that much, i wouldnt worry about it to be honest. Although just getting a fueling check done on a dyno is always worthwhile anyway.

northwind
03-01-07, 09:50 PM
Yep, couldn't agree more... The tank roof's only restrictive when you've got other induction work anyway, most restrictive point in a standard SV's intake is the filter. I don't think it'll make much difference noisewise either but then, tank spacers are free (if you own any M8 nuts :) ) so no harm in trying!

Ah, but Sarah, is yours not an injected model?

Removing the sound baffle like Hovi5 says does make it a teeny tiny bit louder. Plus, stops the most irritating mystery fault ever to afflict the SV, having the foam fall off the tank into your filter :)

netsurfer
04-01-07, 05:33 PM
I don't think it'll make much difference noisewise either but then, tank spacers are free (if you own any M8 nuts :) ) so no harm in trying!

Thanks Northy,

I'll give it a try.. if it isnt satisfactory I might invest in a high-flow filter, re-jet and dyno. I am considering taking the bike to a local mechanic to have him check out the throttle shafts on the carbs, they seem to be squeaking a bit and the throttle still feels tight even though the tube and cables are fine. This would be an ideal excuse to have the new jets fitted. :D :D :D

Pete

01 sv650s
04-01-07, 07:01 PM
i fitted my tankspacers again today and i am sure that the front end feels a bit lighter when accelerating hard off the line

netsurfer
04-01-07, 07:18 PM
You dont have a stock air filter though? :shrug:

Pete

northwind
04-01-07, 07:18 PM
I carried home 6 bottles of coke and a 2 kilo tin of Celebrations today and I know my front end was light off the line :wink:

netsurfer
04-01-07, 07:31 PM
I carried home 6 bottles of coke and a 2 kilo tin of Celebrations today and I know my front end was light off the line :wink:

You could've gotten away with that 2 weeks ago, but this time of year :shock: :shock:

DETOX! :D

Pete

andy
04-01-07, 10:15 PM
Fit the filter and fueling mods, the induction roar and slurp is worth it alone!

hovis
06-01-07, 03:58 PM
not original suzuki parts.....................but they will do untill mine turn up... eh?? :wink:

http://upload5.postimage.org/134289/dcp_2368.jpg (http://upload5.postimage.org/134289/photo_hosting.html)

total cost........

2 pack of doorstops 65p......bargin

:shock: