PDA

View Full Version : GSXR600 sprocket set-up

01 sv650s
04-01-07, 07:33 PM
has anyone tried fitting 16/45 sprockets (gsxr600 sprockets) on to an sv. i am looking to get a bit more speed out of my sv as its starting to feel slow.

northwind
04-01-07, 07:37 PM
Bigger front sprocket won't neccesarily make you faster, since you also need to have the power to push the higher gearing. I'd be surprised if you can redline a normal (or lightly breathed on) SV with an extra front tooth. I'd be pretty surprised if you could do it with mine, frankly :) I'd think it'll take a bit over the 80rw. It'll take a day to get there in the unlikely event it can do it at all, too. How often is 120-and-a-bit-more too slow?

Me, I'd say turn it around- drop the gearing. It'll make it quicker off the line and generally feel faster. It won't be any faster in terms of top speed but I bet you spend more time going from 10-40 than you do at 120 wishing you could do 150...

jonboy
04-01-07, 07:39 PM
That'd be slower than stock. 15/46 is the way to go if you want better acceleration. Or you could stick with the 44 rear and just go down one on the front.

01 sv650s
04-01-07, 07:46 PM
stock set up is -15/44. what about going to 15/42 or 15/43. also does anyone know what 1 tooth on the front is compared to the rear. e.g. 1 tooth on the front is equal to 3 teeth on the rear?

BILLY
04-01-07, 07:59 PM
Well if you go down 1 tooth on the front it is equivalent to going 3 up on the rear, so in theory going 1 up on the front is the equivalent of going 3 down on the rear :shock:
Then you would be as slow as a car setting off from the lights :lol: Just fit NOS if you want more power 8)

Razor
04-01-07, 09:47 PM
Try a 14 tooth front, to see you it feels. It's pretty cheap to buy and won't need a longer chain.
The gixer gearing would be slow, make first gear very tall AFAIK

Alpinestarhero
05-01-07, 11:42 AM
Fitting longer gearing will make it feel slower; it would feel punchier fitting a smaller front sproket. I should have done it on my 33bhp SV :?

Matt

01 sv650s
05-01-07, 12:12 PM
i just spoke to jhs racing and they recommend 14/45.

northwind
05-01-07, 01:04 PM
I've got mine set with the naked gearing, nice balance I reckon... I think that's 15/45 but can't really remember. Going small on teh front could exaggerate chain wear, depends on your setup and how you look after the chain- wouldn't be an issue if you use an alloy rear sprocket since it'll outlast any front, but if you want to get distance out of a chain it'd probably be better to go up on the rear.

But swapping fronts is dead easy, and cheap as well.

01 sv650s
07-01-07, 10:51 AM
http://www.bandcexpress.co.uk/cgi-bin/bc_page.pl?cat=SPR-ROAD&nav=Suzuki

i found some sprockets i want on this site. it has standard front sprockets and race use sprockets. which would be the best to get. thanks

BILLY
07-01-07, 12:13 PM
The standard sprockets will last longer than the alloy ones! But if you go for the alloy ones get them hard anodized and that will help with the wear!!

01 sv650s
07-01-07, 12:36 PM
for the front sprockets, will the ultralight last as long as the plain? thanks

embee
07-01-07, 12:40 PM
I use a 16/44 on my SK1-S because I like the longer-legs feel on the open road.

In real-life I'm not convinced it makes it significantly slower away from standstill unless you use full throttle and max revs all the time anyway. It does feel a lot different though, so it depends what you like. Comparing 16/44 and 14/45 would be chalk and cheese, that'd be almost equivalent to an extra gear. I'd still be mid way through 2nd when you're already up to 3rd, fine if you enjoy changing gear all the time.

In higher gears and on the open road it just becomes "different", I find I'm often using 4th when I would probably be in 5th with std gearing, so in fact I am using lower gearing in some situations :wink:

Fuel economy is barely affected except on steady speed moderate cruising, and then only a mpg or 2 at best.

16/44 works out almost exactly half a gear ratio higher than 15/44 when comparing 4th/5th/6th gears, so my 5th is half way between the std 5th/6th and 6th is a cruising gear. Just depends what feel you like.

01 sv650s
07-01-07, 05:40 PM
i may stick with the standard 15/44. it looks to be the best of both.

northwind
07-01-07, 11:13 PM

I believe they're the same construction but drilled for lightness... If that's right then they'll last as long as standard. If you use a Renthal ally rear sprocket that'll be the limiting factor on life, not the chain or front sprocket. They outlast any other aluminium sprocket by miles because of their anodising process, but they still don't last as long as any decent steel one. Mine's got about 14000 miles on it, I reckon, and it's now not got long to live.

The other thing to note is that you can't compromise on chain condition with alloy sprockets- steel will last a long time with a chain with sticky links, but alloy seems to tear up massively faster. One guy on SV Rider got only 3500 miles out of the exact same Renthal/Tsubaki setup I'm using! But he'd neglected the chain. Very uneven wear on the rear sprocket.

If you want a longer life, steel's undeniably the way to go. But I like the look of the Renthal rear, and it does weigh basically nothing compared to steel. Doesn't really justify the cost, but over the life of the bike I won't spend much more on chains so I don't object.

01 sv650s
08-01-07, 06:50 PM
seems wierd - i just remembered the sprocket set up on my 125 was 17/40.

northwind
08-01-07, 07:29 PM
Yep, but that's just the final drive, your motor gearing would have been different. Bandit 12 and SV650N have exactly the same final drive ratings (15/45) but redline in top on a B12 is about 20mph faster.

andyaikido
08-01-07, 07:32 PM

I believe they're the same construction but drilled for lightness... If that's right then they'll last as long as standard. If you use a Renthal ally rear sprocket that'll be the limiting factor on life, not the chain or front sprocket. They outlast any other aluminium sprocket by miles because of their anodising process, but they still don't last as long as any decent steel one. Mine's got about 14000 miles on it, I reckon, and it's now not got long to live.

The other thing to note is that you can't compromise on chain condition with alloy sprockets- steel will last a long time with a chain with sticky links, but alloy seems to tear up massively faster. One guy on SV Rider got only 3500 miles out of the exact same Renthal/Tsubaki setup I'm using! But he'd neglected the chain. Very uneven wear on the rear sprocket.

If you want a longer life, steel's undeniably the way to go. But I like the look of the Renthal rear, and it does weigh basically nothing compared to steel. Doesn't really justify the cost, but over the life of the bike I won't spend much more on chains so I don't object.

Jesus!

Hope I get a hell of a lot more wear out of mine.

He must spend more on chains than tyres! :shock:

ujoni08
08-01-07, 08:19 PM
650S, if you feel you'd like longer gearing, give it a try. It's a cheap mod and doesn't need a longer chain, plus you can reverse it easily. I know most of the lads on here like to lower the gearing a bit for more accelleration, but embee and a few others, including me, have gone up to a 16 on the front (S model). I had mine done by the dealer before I took delivery of my brand new K5 in May 05. I've done that to every bike I've owned. I just like the relaxed feel of cruising in 6th at 70 with the revs at about 5 000. If I need to overtake, I can drop a cog or two. I only weigh 65 Kg, so the bike doesn't feel like it's straining at all. The higher screen I had fitted seems to help the wind flow over me better (1.8 metres tall), so it works well as a package.
Jon

northwind
08-01-07, 08:35 PM

Get a Scottoiler :) 30,000 miles from steel or 15,000 from alloy is well achievable without any significant effort.

andyaikido
08-01-07, 08:55 PM

Get a Scottoiler :) 30,000 miles from steel or 15,000 from alloy is well achievable without any significant effort.

Already got one on. Reminds me, I should turn it up a notch or two.