does it help racing?
curvy or pointy model?

Thanks john.

Mike1234
23-01-07, 10:33 AM
illegal inMiniTwins

Bad Intentionz
19-02-07, 07:31 PM
I've seen this too. thinking it would only work on injected models. Apparently on carb'ed models it advances the ignition timing in 2nd & 3rd gear. Suzuki have the ignition timing set as it is for ridability ect. from what ive heard bout it. I want one. Their only £112 in demon tweeks

SV650Racer
21-02-07, 11:30 AM
I wouldnt stick one anywhere near my bike to be honest. This stuff about it being there to make the bike more rideable is tosh..sorry but the SV isnt exactly a missile!!. Its there for noise emmisions.

Biggest con ever for your money. Id spend that on a decent dyno setup.

adam_castell
21-02-07, 04:57 PM
like you said, as standard, the ignition is retarded in 2nd and 3rd to lower sound levels.

dont buy a g-pack.... what a rip off!!!

if you look at a wiring diagram, you will see that there is two switches in the gear box, one that actuates in 2nd gear, and the other in 3rd gear, these switches simply tell the ignition unit when the bike is in those gears.

simply disconecting these switches will stop the ignition being retarded in 2nd and 3rd, nothing else needs to be done, and this is all that the g-pack does.... a little overpriced yeah!!!

this is completly safe, and i have measured the system to make sure that all that is required is simple disconection

Bad Intentionz
22-02-07, 10:02 PM
Fair Play. cheers for the advice. you've just saved me £112 :thumbsup:. If the ignition is retarded wont that drop the power in those gears by any amount and is it really worth disconnecting the switches for?

adam_castell
23-02-07, 10:00 AM
yes, if the ignition is retarded, the full power is not being extracted, disconnecting these switches will put a stop to this and effectivly advance the ignition in second and third relative to standard.

monkey
26-02-07, 11:35 PM
How do you do it then? Is this the timing retard wliominator I read loads about for the SV1000? I made one and still have it but it doesn't fit the 650!

adam_castell
26-02-07, 11:38 PM
theres four wires going to the gearbox, look on the wiring diagram and you will see one goes to the 2nd gear switch and another goes to the 3rd gear switch, disconnect these two wires, job done

SV650Racer
27-02-07, 04:46 PM
There isnt any point tbh. Just open the throttle harder or add a few teeth to the rear sprocket..thats far far better. Even my Tuned Thunderbike hasnt got one...if it helped it would have!

adam_castell
27-02-07, 07:15 PM
how about, open your throttle harder, change the sproket ratio, and remove the manufactures ignition retard in 2nd and 3rd

Dangerous Dave
02-12-07, 01:43 PM
theres four wires going to the gearbox, look on the wiring diagram and you will see one goes to the 2nd gear switch and another goes to the 3rd gear switch, disconnect these two wires, job done

This is correct in my opinion, thats all that the G-Pack does. I will admit that I have a G-Pack fitted, but before you say anything, I paid £0 for it from a breaker.

northwind
15-12-07, 09:37 PM
I did it on mine (with the wire removal) and tbh I didn't notice the slightest difference. So then, I removed the wires entirely resulting in a weight saving of at least 30 grams, which of course I also didn't notice :mrgreen:

Dangerous Dave
28-03-08, 03:44 PM
I didn't notice the slightest difference.
You won't because the SV is only very slightly retarded, anyone says they can then it all in there head to be honest!

Here is a dyno print out, as you can see it isn't a difference you are gonna feel with your **** dyno.
http://www.jhsracing.co.uk/archive/99-650/dyno/images/g-pack.gif

petevtwin650
28-03-08, 03:56 PM
Have done the freebie wire mod on mine. Connector box is located under the tank. Free the couple of wires correctly and you can always put them back.

Did it to a few other guys Sv's as well. Some felt a difference (allegedly) and some didn't.

I reckon a lot depends on how you open the throttle.

http://i72.photobucket.com/albums/i184/petevtwin650/org%20tech/gearboxlimiter.jpg

sv650k4
30-03-08, 10:20 PM
You won't because the SV is only very slightly retarded, anyone says they can then it all in there head to be honest!

Here is a dyno print out, as you can see it isn't a difference you are gonna feel with your **** dyno.

is that dyno 65.6 with out the wires done then 67.1 with the wires cut?;)

northwind
30-03-08, 11:07 PM
TBH that's within the margin for error, it makes more sense to look at the shape than the numbers.

Robw#70
01-04-08, 06:30 PM

The differences in those graphs are not worth paying attention to, the area where its different is effected by how fast the dyno operator opens the throttle, so if not consistant on each run there will be a difference, which is handy if you want to show someone a graph:smt082

There is not a 'restriction' in the lower gears, it done for smooth delivery, if a glitch is put in the bike will feel quicker as there is a big change in power, but in truth it'll probably make less if you can feel it (not that the TRE works at all, the only time its handy is for loosing speed restriction on other bikes)
Its like a badly jetted bike, if there's a dip in the midrange the power will climb faster than on a correctly jetted bike, so the difference is bigger making it feel quicker.

Dangerous Dave
01-04-08, 07:12 PM
The differences in those graphs are not worth paying attention to, the area where its different is effected by how fast the dyno operator opens the throttle
Even more evidence to show that this mod isn't really noticable!