PDA

View Full Version : Thinking of a Euro Trip - ideas?

600+
26-01-07, 10:05 AM
Although I should post this in the EuroTour section I doubt it I would get any replies:)

So here goes...

I'm thinking of a long weekend - Friday to Monday and especially the Easter weekend 6th to 9th of April. Baring in mind I will have to set off from M'cr that will take me a good 5hrs to reach Dover.

So any1 can suggest a route? I did have a look at the EuroToor stickies:) It's going to be me and the gf on the bike so really going for leasure not raicing over the border:)

also if any1 wants to come along feel free:)

Thanks

Rossi_C
26-01-07, 10:13 AM
Hi mate, I did the same a few years ago. Left dover at 2am and was in Paris by 10am. Continued on a round trip of France over a few days. I was riding for about 10 - 12 hours per day stopping for gas and the occasional nicotine fix.

I'm unsure about the dates at the moment but definately interested. Might even be able to get my missus into the idea too. I'm local to you in Warrington nr Manchester. Whereabouts are you?

Do you have a route planned?

600+
26-01-07, 10:20 AM
Hi mate,

no route planned and the general idea of the trip is to go somewhere to relax for a bit with some nice scenery and places to eat and have a drink.

I prefer rural areas with nice places to see like small villages, green fields, big parks etc etc.

Wow though!! 10-12hrs a day of riding? erm don't think I wanna do sthing like that LOL

More of the type of person who enjoys riding to a place on one day, spend the day there looking around and relaxing, small distance trips to go see places around are acceptable:)

and then the next day do pretty much sthing similar to that.

I'm in central M'cr btw

Jelster
26-01-07, 10:22 AM
Considering the fact that you only have a long weekend I would suggest the Ardenne, in Belgium or maybe doing a short tour of the "D-Day" sites along the French coast - Something I have wanted to do for a while but can never seem to fit it in :roll:

It may be worth considering travelling down to Dover on the night before, so you can get an early start on the first day; even though I'm only 90 odd minutes from Dover, I like to get to Calais the night before, so I can get a bright early start on day 1. It just gives you a little more time actually across the border.

If you do go into the Ardenne, check out the US war cemetery at Neupre, just outside Liege, it's an amazing site.

the white rabbit
26-01-07, 10:32 AM
Considering the fact that you only have a long weekend I would suggest the Ardenne, in Belgium or maybe doing a short tour of the "D-Day" sites along the French coast - Something I have wanted to do for a while but can never seem to fit it in :roll:

It may be worth considering travelling down to Dover on the night before, so you can get an early start on the first day; even though I'm only 90 odd minutes from Dover, I like to get to Calais the night before, so I can get a bright early start on day 1. It just gives you a little more time actually across the border.

If you do go into the Ardenne, check out the US war cemetery at Neupre, just outside Liege, it's an amazing site.

Ardennes wot he said. Very close to ferry and tunnel.

600+
26-01-07, 10:34 AM
Cheers Jelster - I would have knocked on your door for info sooner than later:)

Would you be able to suggest a route? Or some info that I could put on a route planner site to get an idea? D-Day sites sounds very nice as it would give us some site seeing as well and not spending all day on the bike

Luckypants
26-01-07, 10:39 AM
I'm thinking of a long weekend - Friday to Monday and especially the Easter weekend 6th to 9th of April. Baring in mind I will have to set off from M'cr that will take me a good 5hrs to reach Dover.

I would strongly recommend taking the ferry from Hull. A quick 2 hours (max) down the M62 from manc. sails around 18:00 overnight to Zeebrugge so you arrive in Belgium fresh, with a nights kip under your belt. Then take Jelster's suggestion of the Ardennes, handy for Zeebrugge (Belgium is small place). Sail back to Hull and arrive fresh after your trip, no slog up the motorway from Dover.

And if you can leave work a bit early / arrive a bit late either end of your dates, you might be able to squeeze in two extra days instead of driving down/up Britain.

600+
26-01-07, 10:42 AM

I would strongly recommend taking the ferry from Hull. A quick 2 hours (max) down the M62 from manc. sails around 18:00 overnight to Zeebrugge so you arrive in Belgium fresh, with a nights kip under your belt. Then take Jelster's suggestion of the Ardennes, handy for Zeebrugge (Belgium is small place). Sail back to Hull and arrive fresh after your trip, no slog up the motorway from Dover.

And if you can leave work a bit early / arrive a bit late either end of your dates, you might be able to squeeze in two extra days instead of driving down/up Britain.

ferry from Hull!! superb suggestion! Many thnx mate - i'll go check the site now

now need to plan the route and find accomodation:)

Luckypants
26-01-07, 10:56 AM
Word of warning. Hull ferry more expensive, but I balance that against less fuel used. Overall more expensive, but saves you knackering yourself on motorways here. Take straps to tie your bike down and do it yourself! Ferry staff provide straps or rope, but not always ideal. They are not trained in how to tie down a bike. There are tie down points on the floor. This is a 12 hour trip on the North Sea, so can be rough at times, so do a job on tieing down the bike, don't want to get to it and find it on it's side!

I use 3m ratchet straps (25mm wide) on mine, one round headstock and one over seat. Use rags or your leathers to protect the paint. Take your luggage off the bike.

600+
26-01-07, 11:14 AM
Right oh

£275 is the ferry from hull for 2 people in cabins (cheapest options and no meals)

if we wanted to ride to Dover then that would be 5hrs and it's 300miles so about £60 petrol

The eurotunnel train though comes at £66 for the return trip??? didn't ask me for how many passengers though - and its 2hrs

What u guys reckon?

Luckypants
26-01-07, 11:29 AM
Right oh

£275 is the ferry from hull for 2 people in cabins (cheapest options and no meals)Blimey! Don't they do the reclining chairs for £15 anymore? Used to be there was no compulsion to buy a cabin unless you had kids under 14. You are going on a bank holiday weekend, school holiday though...

600+
26-01-07, 11:39 AM
yeap no reclining chairs apparently:(

think the eurotunnel will be cheaper even with the hussle of riding to Dover

Jelster
26-01-07, 11:55 AM
Cheers Jelster - I would have knocked on your door for info sooner than later:)

Would you be able to suggest a route? Or some info that I could put on a route planner site to get an idea? D-Day sites sounds very nice as it would give us some site seeing as well and not spending all day on the bike

Do you have a copy of "Autoroute" ?

If so I could drop you something over the weekend...

The ferry operators in Dover are great with bikes, just remember to leave it in gear and switch the alarm off (service mode). I have done the "long ferry trip" thing before and I can never sleep on the boat, so I take the shortest route across the channel (Dover-Calais) as I can make the time up on the road, and I get a decent nights sleep....

600+
26-01-07, 12:06 PM
Jelster no I'm afraid no autoroute but if you wanna print screen what you get and email it to me then I can put it on any of the route planners

Tim in Belgium
26-01-07, 12:57 PM
If you're planning on doin the Ardennes I'd suggest blitzing through the northern half of Belgium on the autoroutes, it's pretty flat and boring riding country.

Once you are about 40 mins south of Brussels the Ardennnes start, look at coming off the auto routes down into Namur, heading up the river to Dinant (both of which have Citadels to visit , and then and any route winding round the ardennes, taking in places like Hans sur Lesse, Rochefort, Bouillon, St Hubert, La Roche en Ardenne, Stavelot (just next to the Spa circuit, you can ride on some of the old circuit). Once you're down there there is plenty to see, some good roads following river valleys, and don't worry if you stray into france occassionally!

http://www.viamichelin.com/viamichelin/int/dyn/controller/mapPerformPage?strCountry=EUR&strAddress=dinant&strCP=&strLocation=&x=47&y=8#locid=2b0lREP_TA_105603000221406SERREP1110

Loads of small towns with reasonabley priced restaurants etc.

mac608
26-01-07, 05:42 PM
Did the Ardennes a couple of years ago. And did exactly what Jelster suggested, stayed outside Dover the night before, got the eight o'clock ferry.
Remember when you get to France they're an hour in front of us.

Easter could be a bad weekend to go. I went May bank holiday and everywhere was damn near closed on the Monday as it was on the Sunday. The French believe that a bank holiday is a holiday for everyone.

The group I went with stayed in Charleville Meziere, took about three hours from Calais to get there.
We stayed at a Formula One hotel, think Travellodge, for about 25 euros a night. Rooms are a bit pokey but are ensuite.

I'm thinking of going again this May, but using a different town as a base. The roads are great with not a lot of traffic on them.

Supervox
26-01-07, 07:55 PM

If you decide to do the 'D-Day' thing, (a trip I'm planning to do later in the year), you might want to think about taking a ferry from Portsmouth or Poole to Cherbourg - less boring motorway riding to get you to the area you wish to visit :D

Jdubya
26-01-07, 08:24 PM
The eurotunnel train though comes at £66 for the return trip??? didn't ask me for how many passengers though - and its 35min platform to platform
What u guys reckon?

Unless you're in a car or coach they aren't really bothered TBH because you stay with the vehicle.
Pretty quick way on the train and they're not too bothered about the weather.
A very good way to go IMHO.
Bank holidays are not always the best time to go because a.) most things are closed especially petrol stations for some reason and b.) always loads and loads of families with kids about and c.) the roads are generally very busy with tourist traffic :(

Mr Toad
26-01-07, 10:16 PM
I did the D-Day beaches a couple of years ago - went overnight from Portsmouth to Caen (cabin for 4 people), then headed west to Sainte-Mere-Eglise (first town to be liberated). Did all the western beaches on the first day, stayed the night in a cheap hotel we found in Port-en-Bessin, then back to Caen and home on the evening ferry. Nice roads, nice scenery, amazing and very thought provoking. If it's your first trip abroad on the bike, and you've ridden down from Manchester AND you've got a pillion, then I'd be tempted not to try and turn the trip into a marathon - there's plenty to see and do in northern France

Tim in Belgium
27-01-07, 12:57 AM
But then the Ardennes are only 2 1/2 - 3 hrs from calais and awesome, as always you take your pick, there's always next time.

600+
27-01-07, 05:15 PM
Thanks for the ideas guys

Another option suggested to me by the HG guys today is also the Isle of Man

Closer to M'cr and never been there before:)

What you reckon?

Jdubya
27-01-07, 06:50 PM
I think you will find that your crossing, accommodation, and everything will be quite expensive during the TT...
Well worth it though and something I wouldn't mind doing once my income exceeds my expenditure again :lol: :lol:

600+
27-01-07, 06:57 PM
won't be going when the TT race is on - that is in May and I'm thinking of going in April

fizzwheel
27-01-07, 07:32 PM
the Isle of Man

Closer to M'cr and never been there before:)

What you reckon?

What about Ireland or Scotland ? We went ot Ireland last year and had a brilliant time.

Lissa
28-01-07, 09:09 AM
Here's my two pennorthworth :D

Dover to Calais................if you book online return fares are around £39 with P&O.

Then head down to the Verdun area. Plenty of 1st World War cemetarys and battlefields to visit. You can still pick up old ammo in the fields around Verdun. For a place to stay in the area you can't beat this place

http://www.bikersbedsfrance.co.uk/ Notice the low cost of staying here. Around £30 per night for two people, breakfast included.

Ian and Carol are a great couple, both Bikers, and she's an SV rider herself.

Great roads to ride in that area, not a huge haul from Calais, and well worth a visit.

600+
28-01-07, 12:04 PM
Just checked prices from Liverpool to IOM for car+2 and a dog

wait for it...

£184 :shock:

Normski
06-03-07, 08:04 PM
You could look at L.D. Lines who sail to Le Havre from Portsmouth or Newhaven. Their prices have been very good.
From Le Havre you could ride across Picardie ( a nice area of France) to the Ardennes. I've found the best trips to be ones where you don't try to travel too far in a short time - there's no relaxation in meeting a deadline!

Tomcat
08-03-07, 11:59 AM
We are planning a trip in july. Sailing from dover to calais, then doing a ride to verbier, switerland (we have friends there so accomation = £nil!) The journey on the most direct route is 850km .... eek we planning to do it in a day! Should be interesting. Will test how keen I really am!!

Also doing Ireland for the northwests 200 which is May, it is a beautiful place, with plenty of bikes!

All Good! ! :p

Luckypants
08-03-07, 12:58 PM
We are planning a trip in july. Sailing from dover to calais, then doing a ride to verbier, switerland (we have friends there so accomation = £nil!) The journey on the most direct route is 850km .... eek we planning to do it in a day! Should be interesting. Will test how keen I really am!!

Also doing Ireland for the northwests 200 which is May, it is a beautiful place, with plenty of bikes!

All Good! ! :p
I once burned to Briancon in a day from Ostend (overnight ferry from Hull) and it was about 1050K. Was hard work over the Col Du Lautrette at the end of the day in a massive thunderstorm, but that kind of distance is doable if you take it steady. About 12 hours riding time?

I'm planning a trip in July to France, to ride over the spectacluar bridges (Millau viaduct, Pont de Normandie etc), meet my bruv to see the Tour go over the Galibier and meet my lad who will be working in the Ardeche. Reckon on clocking a few miles.....

tee jey
26-03-07, 08:24 PM
If you're planning on doin the Ardennes I'd suggest blitzing through the northern half of Belgium on the autoroutes, it's pretty flat and boring riding country.

Once you are about 40 mins south of Brussels the Ardennnes start, look at coming off the auto routes down into Namur, heading up the river to Dinant (both of which have Citadels to visit , and then and any route winding round the ardennes, taking in places like Hans sur Lesse, Rochefort, Bouillon, St Hubert, La Roche en Ardenne, Stavelot (just next to the Spa circuit, you can ride on some of the old circuit). Once you're down there there is plenty to see, some good roads following river valleys, and don't worry if you stray into france occassionally!

http://www.viamichelin.com/viamichelin/int/dyn/controller/mapPerformPage?strCountry=EUR&strAddress=dinant&strCP=&strLocation=&x=47&y=8#locid=2b0lREP_TA_105603000221406SERREP1110

Loads of small towns with reasonabley priced restaurants etc.

We're heading for the Ardennes in June. Overnight ferry from Portsmouth is £45 return, sleeper seat are available but 3 of us have split the cost of a cabin at £20 each. Sails at 23.30 and arrives le Havre at 06.30. Le Havre to Charleville Meziere is 234 while from Dover it's 177miles.

Check out the Logis chain of hotels in the area, we've got a hotel at Montherme, 4 nights for about £90 each. Formula type of hotels can be a bit out of town and/or in industrial areas away from restaurants and bars.

YoungMan
11-06-07, 09:11 AM
I am on my Euro Tour right now, staying with mates in Zurich whilst waiting for the bike to get its 16k service here. 700 SF's - ouch -

Started by going up to John O'Groats with a mate. We were there around the 12th of May. It was the only dry bit of the UK! Stamford, Burnt Island, Ullapool, and Mey. An old pal runs the Queen Mum's castle up there. Its just around the corner from John O'Groats but Dunnet Head is really the most Northerly point on the mainland. Could see Hoy and even Cape Wrath 60 miles away it was so clear.

Back via Lairg to Fort William. We split at Penrith and I went over the Pennines on the A66 (it will be nice when they finish it) to Scotch Corner and Barnsley. 1200 miles in 6 days, should have toughned up my bum ... NOT

Set off again with new tyres on the 22nd of May and saw friends 'Down South'. Took the tunnel on the 26th and stayed over in Ardres before heading up to Verdun. Shocking battlefields, still torn up even after almost 100 years. Spent a couple of nights there and then headed for the Vosges. Bailed out of the rain in Abreschville, dried out overnight and played in the passes before riding through Switzerland. The Gotthard pass was closed, so got stuck in a smoky tunnel. Spent the next 3 nights in Como, nipping out in the dry moments to enjoy the Lakes and mountains. Quite a few Brits about.

Onto Sermione on Lake Garda to hook up with some friends who were touring by car, and then for 3 nights in Mestre just outside Venice. You can park the bike for free in Piazza de Roma at the end of the causeway and hop straight onto a Vaporetto for some sightseeing. I risked a light jacket and jeans and locked helmet to saddle - it was OK.

Out of expensive Venice land and up to the Dolomites, staying in Canazei. Tried to get into the Passo Poldoi hotel, but it was full. The area was chocker with bikes. Kiddies half term apparently. Spent two nights there in stunning scenery and amazing roads. As I left, twenty Porsches arrived with bikes swarming all around them were followed by 15 Ferraris. There were going to be some tears before bed time I thought.

Over the Rescher Pass crammed with caravans *sigh* and into Austria running late because the roads were so busy with returning holidaymakers. Got screwed by Austrian cops for not having a carnet/vignettte 65 euro fine. Not enough time to go over the Arlen Pass, and now I am in Zurich.

Going to Munich for a few days and then back here for the weekend when a mate from the USA is over on business - so a bit of a reunion for about 10 of us. Then off to Nuremburg and heading EAST on the 20th.

Anyone else planning on going to the Black Sea? Rumania, Poland, Hungary, etc etc??

Tim in Belgium
11-06-07, 11:27 AM
The East keeps playing on my mind, let us know how you find it.

YoungMan
11-06-07, 11:38 AM
Wilco - mucking about looking for somewhere to upload photos.

Was in Cambodia in April, rode a 250cc dirt bike round the Tonle Sap lake on me tod. Pnomh Penh, Battambang, Siep Riep, Kampong Thom and back to PP. Some nice pics of that as well..

Tim in Belgium
11-06-07, 02:34 PM
I meant Eastern Europe, but the far east sounds good too :)

YoungMan
17-06-07, 10:24 PM
Came back from Munich on Friday with a swinging hangover and stopped at Lindau for schnitzel and chip lunch. Add indigestion to rapidly growing list of ailments.
Roadworks and diversions before Friedrichshaven where the ferry can take you to Switzerland over the Bodensee for 13 Euros. Cuts out the vignette police in Austria and the big nasty tunnel.
Donned wet weather gear and dug out storm covers for luggage as it darkened rapidly in the Alps ahead. 50ks short of my target Zurich I pulled over into a rest area and parked under the roof of the gents toilets. Slumped down. Cold, soaking wet, tired, hungover, bilious and thinking "I just can't go on". The despair (looking back) was amazing. The rain was so heavy cars were pulling off the motorway.
30 mins later, still raining, climbed back on and finished the journey into arms of friends and a hot shower.
All the gear is dry and headed to Nuremburg tomorrow. Still cannot shake how down I was - never happened before.
Into the Czech Republic and heading for Karlsbad after Germany. Any tips welcome ref places and accommodation in Prague or anywhere else!

ejohnh
13-07-07, 06:04 AM

WE are going(from Wales) to France next month. Stopping overnight in a travelodge on the M2, 30 miles from chunnel - £15 per night for the room.