PDA

View Full Version : new gloves- any tips

Quiff Wichard
05-03-07, 10:45 PM
for softening up and stretching..

first ones I have had with the rock hard knuckle protection..

oo it hurts at first doesnt it..

NOW- my cousin who was a para - used to tell me they softened their boots up ina bucket of pee.!

but dont fancy that.. ..

in fact they are soft- just need a bit of stretch... I bought a smaller size than I used to have cos me old ones have strecthed to way too loose.. ..

so .. tip away !.

guessng tip will be wear em and wear em in

svrash
05-03-07, 10:47 PM
Wear them in the rain

Quiff Wichard
05-03-07, 10:50 PM
really??? :smt023

:toss: or not really?

scorpion
05-03-07, 10:53 PM
Have a leather night in the bath....But don't tell anyone;)

Works a treat, soft as shammy:cool:

svrash
05-03-07, 10:53 PM
Serious, when ever i get anything leather wise, i wear it in the rain a couple of times, let it dry naturally and the soften up in no time.

I brought a pair of dainese leather jeans in mid summer and i was praying for rain

Quiff Wichard
05-03-07, 11:06 PM
cool
!!!!!!

I shall look forward to getting wet..

muffles
05-03-07, 11:10 PM
i've got kangaroo leather gloves which seem a loft softer/stretchier from the start...maybe something to try next time?

andyaikido
06-03-07, 03:46 AM
Rub some leather feed into them, and wear them a lot, like around the house.

Quiff Wichard
06-03-07, 10:26 AM
I will do all of that-

got a 2 hour drive as a passener in a van later- but dont think the driver would be happy of I got in wearing leather gloves.. covered in vaseline !

ArtyLady
06-03-07, 12:22 PM
I bought a pair, fitted with the help of the shop owner. I couldnt even wear them at home, let alone on the bike, they left serious impressions of knuckle armour on my poor fingers, I gave up in the end.

I knew when I bought them they were uncomfortable, but went along with the advice given. I couldnt take them back because where I kept trying to stretch them I broke the stitching! d'oh!

Few weeks back I found an identical pair (size larger) in a second hand shop, barely used practically brand new, £10, and they fit perfect, no pain, no marks.

sorry this doesnt help at all :( :rolleyes:

Quiff Wichard
06-03-07, 02:46 PM
no it does!

I am in exactly same position

convinced by the salesman.. when I used to be salesman meself !..

they are a bit tight. its the knuckle bit..

but like I said my others were just right when i bought thme and went way too big.

time will tell.

ASM-Forever
29-03-07, 02:23 PM
Its usually just a case of braking them in im afraid :(

I usually wear mine for a few hours before i ride with them clenching my fists. After that a good comute to london with all the throttle/clutch work does the trick :)

rictus01
29-03-07, 02:44 PM
Huuum, not sure I'm into all this suffering stuff myself, winter gloves should never be tight as it restricts circulation and will lead to cold hands, so that's a no no to start with.

summer gloves, well if they are for racing or just brought for the feedback, then the thinest pair you can get would be best, single layer leather patched palm and knuckle protection (prefer the soft stuff myself), these can be quite tight but make sure the seams are flat.

Anything inbetween these two, as in rainproof summer gloves, and such like, you don't want to be stretching to much as you'll destroy the waterproof membraine in them, they should be snug but not uncomfortable to start with, all gloves will stretch over time and this will dictate when they need replacing (I replace summer gloves each year or so).

Hope that helps.

Cheers Mark.

Scoobs
29-03-07, 03:33 PM
(I replace summer gloves each year or so)......

........or 50,000 miles. Whichever comes sooner hey Mark?

SoulKiss
29-03-07, 03:37 PM
........or 50,000 miles. Whichever comes sooner hey Mark?

Cue the Proclaimers !!!!!

Sorry folks - I'll get my coat....