PDA

View Full Version : Riding schools

Alpinestarhero
10-04-07, 03:19 PM
A while back, brands hatch used to advertise a "ducati experiance". Pay your money, turn up and ride their ducatis around the track. Now, I know they dont do this sort of thing anymore, but are there any places that do something similar?

I'd love to get on a track and ride around, but I dont want to take my bike on a trackday because 1) its underpowered, and i think it would be too dangerous, 2) I cant afford another set of tyres and 3) i dont want to crash my own bike :oops:

What about ron haslams race school? Has anyone done that?

Matt

andyaikido
10-04-07, 03:27 PM
Ron Haslam's is probably the place to go. Always seems to get good press.

I think K's been there, she'll probably be on in a bit.

lukemillar
10-04-07, 04:09 PM
A while back, brands hatch used to advertise a "ducati experiance". Pay your money, turn up and ride their ducatis around the track. Now, I know they dont do this sort of thing anymore, but are there any places that do something similar?

I'd love to get on a track and ride around, but I dont want to take my bike on a trackday because 1) its underpowered, and i think it would be too dangerous, 2) I cant afford another set of tyres and 3) i dont want to crash my own bike :oops:

Matt

I wouldn't write off a trackday so quickly. If you choose your track carefully then the restricted SV won't feel too underpowered. At Brands Indy last month, there was an RS250 who was running rings around most of the sportsbikes. You won't go through a set of tyres on a trackday. Yes they will wear more than road riding, but they will still be fine afterwards (unless they are on their way out now!). As for crashing....you can never predict what will or will not happen, but if you ride to your limits, then you can reduce the risk a lot. Plus there are instructors about for you to grab and get advice from.

Have a look at this:

http://forums.sv650.org/showthread.php?t=86798

A load of us from here did it last year - many on first trackdays. It was good fun!

EDIT: Plus it's only 90 pounds, which is way less than a race school.

K
10-04-07, 04:11 PM
I seem to remember Cazza has done a course at Ron Haslam's - I went to Suzuki Race School at Mallory.

I really enjoyed it and yeah, being on one of their Gixxers rather than your own bike was a great confidence boost.
I also forked the little bit extra for 1-2-1 tuition, which was worth it in my min. The time flew past though.

Both Ron Haslam's and California Superbike School have always seemed to get good reviews...

... though considering the cost - I'd rather now save up for the week-long 'sectional course' at the Nurburgring.:cool:

weazelz
10-04-07, 04:37 PM
2) I cant afford another set of tyres
you'll be using bits of your tyres that you wouldn't do usually. you might arguably say that you'll get *more* mileage out of your tyres, because you'll de-square them :-)

cdrsimmonds
10-04-07, 05:55 PM
Say weazelz, You weren't at the Snetterton morning track day over the weekend were you? I remember seeing a Yellow SV aith a rider wearing a similar orange jacket...

Alpinestarhero
10-04-07, 06:30 PM
Hmm...interesting, and I think you guys are right about the tyres - i'll be using the endges (well, i could be using the edges) which I'd never use on the road.

I suppose brands indy for a track day would be alright - at least I know where the track is going...

Matt

weazelz
10-04-07, 06:49 PM
Say weazelz, You weren't at the Snetterton morning track day over the weekend were you? I remember seeing a Yellow SV aith a rider wearing a similar orange jacket...
yes, on sunday morning. danf, localhost & I were there in the novice group

there's a thread on it here (http://forums.sv650.org/showthread.php?t=86874)

were you riding/marshalling/other ?

Jdubya
10-04-07, 06:55 PM

Matt
I've been looking at doing this (http://www.boddicedarleytraining.co.uk/) course...

Alpinestarhero
10-04-07, 07:05 PM
Jdub - that looks good, but how far away is the track from london?

Matt

Jdubya
10-04-07, 07:12 PM
Jdub - that looks good, but how far away is the track from london?

Matt
Just outside Kidderminster...

Alpinestarhero
10-04-07, 07:17 PM
:shock: miles away! I'd be too knackered to ride a cbr600 after riding that far!

Keen on a brands track day though...

Matt

lukemillar
10-04-07, 08:19 PM
:shock: miles away! I'd be too knackered to ride a cbr600 after riding that far!

Keen on a brands track day though...

Matt

Do Lydden! It's virtually a mirror of Brands Indy and less money!

Alpinestarhero
11-04-07, 08:10 AM
Yea, lydden dosnt look to far away actually, and might be less daunting without paddock hill bend :shock:

Maybe I'l give it a go there and learn a few things before I take on a more difficult place...

...but will someone come and hold my hand while I wobble round?

Matt

lukemillar
11-04-07, 08:19 AM
Yea, lydden dosnt look to far away actually, and might be less daunting without paddock hill bend :shock:

Maybe I'l give it a go there and learn a few things before I take on a more difficult place...

...but will someone come and hold my hand while I wobble round?

Matt

Well Weazelz and myself have already signed up. I think Enzyme and possibly Blue_SV650S will as well - Plus the more the merrier! Not sure what group they'll stick us in - couldn't specify of the phone, but most likely be in novice, with weazelz in inters.

cdrsimmonds
18-04-07, 11:57 AM
were you riding/marshalling/other ?

I was spannering for my friend who was riding in the afternoon edurance race.. I met you previously at Brands Hatch during a track day, my friend is riding in the GSXR trophy

cdrsimmonds
18-04-07, 12:07 PM
Both Ron Haslam's and California Superbike School have always seemed to get good reviews...

My friend has just done level 1 at the Califonia Superbike School and highly recommends it. They do a fair bit in the classroom, but it is by no means boring, and then you go straight out on the track and practise what they just tought you. They do this throughout the course of the day on different aspects of cornering techniques.

http://www.superbikeschool.co.uk

They run at Silverstone (£319) and Rockingham (£369), my friend stuck his name on the cancelation list and got £20 knocked off i think...

I'm planning on attending one in the near future, just got to try and get the day off work. :(

Little Rich
20-04-07, 08:31 PM
I did the Premier course (CBR600RR) Last June was so good I cant describe it. You only get three lots of 15 mins tho but the "inbetween" tutorials were fantastic (be ready to have your riding style ripped to pieces) and overall im a much more confident rider now. I thought I was going pretty fast round craner curves til Ron blasted past me on a blade. :D

Well out of 10 i'd give it 10, and ive booked an Elite course (telemetry fitted blade) on June 5th counting the mins! There is a chance my instructor will be Liam!

Ill not go too deep in to the details about my day there in case of boring you but if theres anything I can help with just ask away! But book it and go! NOW!

heres the bikes:
http://www.imagedump.com/index.cgi?pick=get&tp=497647

No idea who that random guy is :P :
http://www.imagedump.com/index.cgi?pick=get&tp=497648

Alpinestarhero
21-04-07, 07:44 AM
I'll check for lyyden in around august time; I might even drag my dad and his mates up aswell! I cant sign up for anything now with exams approaching, but the thought is there in my mind and half of me wants to have a go.

But I will be pitifull, and wobble around worse than a novice on his first CBT.

What am I letting myself in for :eek:

Matt