PDA

View Full Version : Rockingham 10th may

Paws
24-04-07, 10:08 PM
Doing my first trackday @ rockingham on May 10th!, tris is taking the zx9, im on me sv.
Any advice from you guys?
Im going in novice, tris is intermediate (hes been riding 10 yrs, ive been rididng 2, both of us never done a trackday before)

weazelz
24-04-07, 10:22 PM
Doing my first trackday @ rockingham on May 10th!, tris is taking the zx9, im on me sv.
Any advice from you guys?
Im going in novice, tris is intermediate (hes been riding 10 yrs, ive been rididng 2, both of us never done a trackday before)

relax & enjoy. Rockingham is a great ciruit :-)

if neither of you have ever been on track before, go in the novice group to start with, you can always move up later if you want/need to

Paws
24-04-07, 10:34 PM
Im in novice as im no where near as confident or as good a rider as tris is :cool:

Is it best to trailer or ride bikes there (not far from us).
Im doing it to get my confidence up after my off (that was on a corner/bend)

Blue_SV650S
25-04-07, 09:22 AM
I can't believe they allowed Tris to start off in inters if it is his first trackday, that's very bad form!! :smt075

Anyhoo, if you have a trailer then trailer it, its a no-brainer really ;)

How much is it and who is the provider BTW? If you put a link then others might want to go :)

weazelz
25-04-07, 09:46 AM
are you sure it's the 10th? I don't see that on Rockingham's website (http://www.rockingham.co.uk/events.asp)

lukemillar
25-04-07, 10:09 AM
are you sure it's the 10th? I don't see that on Rockingham's website (http://www.rockingham.co.uk/events.asp)

If it's the 10th June, then I will be up for it. Still planning on doing Mallory on 26th May with Hottrax as well.

Luke

Paws
25-04-07, 10:47 AM
I can't believe they allowed Tris to start off in inters if it is his first trackday, that's very bad form!! :smt075

Anyhoo, if you have a trailer then trailer it, its a no-brainer really ;)

How much is it and who is the provider BTW? If you put a link then others might want to go :)

woah woah woah mate, Tris has been riding 10 years, and has driven race cars on track, I put him in the inters as hes a VERY good rider and is VERY confident on the bike-hed get frustrated in novice group, plus he knows what rockinghmas like. IF the instructors dont think hes coping in inters he will be moved.
Its £125 fot the day with css.

Paws
25-04-07, 10:48 AM

Its on the css site, not sure if its HG staff (as thats who organised is) only??

Paws
25-04-07, 10:56 AM
http://www.superbikeschool.co.uk/show_circuit.php?circuit_id=1

Blue_SV650S
25-04-07, 12:08 PM
I wasn't saying he should stay in novice all day or making any assessment of his ability. But the simple fact is that he IS a noob and the trackday ppl should FORCE him to START in novice (some do - and with good reason ;))!!! He then gets moved up when he outgrows it, even if this is session 2!! ;) Its bad form on the t-day company not to enforce this!! :rant: :lol:

£125 is a good price ... I might even give it a whirl meseln 8)

Are you doing the school too?!!? :)

Paws
25-04-07, 02:48 PM
I wasn't saying he should stay in novice all day or making any assessment of his ability. But the simple fact is that he IS a noob and the trackday ppl should FORCE him to START in novice (some do - and with good reason ;))!!! He then gets moved up when he outgrows it, even if this is session 2!! ;) Its bad form on the t-day company not to enforce this!! :rant: :lol:

£125 is a good price ... I might even give it a whirl meseln 8)

Are you doing the school too?!!? :)

They might move him to novice, but we got to chose what groups we'd rather be in, find out on the day.

Think the price incs the school, well for us hg lot anyway :cool:

petevtwin650
25-04-07, 02:56 PM
Each trackday is different, but the inters are usually fairly rapid. I've been riding for 30 years and am confident and quickish, but I'd start off in the Novices. These guys take their track days seriously and there will be tyre warmers, wets and slicks in evidence all over the place. In the inters he could easily be spooked by some rider coming up from nowhere and outbraking him, mirrors folded in remember, and forcing him off his choosen line.

The novices are generally given more respect.

Anyway, original question. You need to make sure the tyres are good, pads too. Oil, and coolant topped up. dark and clear visors and cleaning stuff. Waterproofs. Gaff tape and some tools, although the participants are all usually very friendly and will help out. Chain adjusted and lubed.

Blue_SV650S
25-04-07, 03:38 PM
It should be a blanket policy … if the rider is a noob, they should be put in novice until they are assessed as, or after having been in it for a bit, feel they have outgrown the group … that’s just common sense … simply asking a noob what group they think they should be in is asking for disaster as they have no frame of reference and some will have egos larger than their ability … I shouldn't really have to explain that any further ;) Its the company that are at fault here, not Paws BTW, her argument would apear logical to most...

This sort of thing reminds me of that Yellow Pages advert ‘I consider myself more of an intermediate’ :lol:

Anyhoo, that’s a sweeeet deal if you got that free through work Paws, 8) I thought the CSS was a several day affair?!!?

Paws
25-04-07, 03:53 PM
It should be a blanket policy … if the rider is a noob, they should be put in novice until they are assessed as, or after having been in it for a bit, feel they have outgrown the group … that’s just common sense … simply asking a noob what group they think they should be in is asking for disaster as they have no frame of reference and some will have egos larger than their ability … I shouldn't really have to explain that any further ;) Its the company that are at fault here, not Paws BTW, her argument would apear logical to most...

This sort of thing reminds me of that Yellow Pages advert ‘I consider myself more of an intermediate’ :lol:

Anyhoo, that’s a sweeeet deal if you got that free through work Paws, 8) I thought the CSS was a several day affair?!!?

noooo idea huni, i just got roped into signing up for it LOL :rolleyes: 8-[

Blue_SV650S
25-04-07, 04:58 PM
noooo idea huni, i just got roped into signing up for it LOL :rolleyes: 8-[

If they did that at my work it'd be more 'arm biting off' than 'roping'!! :lol:

By the looks of it the CSS has a coupla days tuition then a day on track (which is opened up to non CSS punters too 8)) ... seems as if you are gonna be there for the day on track bit!!

weazelz
25-04-07, 05:04 PM
Think the price incs the school, well for us hg lot anyway :cool:

I doubt it, you don't choose groups for the school, everyone starts in 'level 1' regardless of experience

your chap may be an experienced road rider, track driver, etc. but he's still a novice track rider, just because he hasn't done it before. I usually go in inter's, sometimes fast, but if it's my first time at a track I haven't been to before, I'll go in novice, just to learn my way around, & then move up after a session or two

Balky001
25-04-07, 05:41 PM
Hi Paws, you'll love Rockingham. National circuit is not too fast and you can learn it fairly quickly especially if CSS put the markers out, the turn in points are quite late on some corners. CSS do track days as well as course days and I think you are on the standard track day. They'll still be able to show you around though :)

have lots of fun!

Paws
08-05-07, 09:41 PM
Oookk, well guys dont laugh BUT our bike trailer will not take the weight of 2 bikes..sooo we are using tris's parents bright yellow HORSEBOX!! :smt103 , not a trailer, a full sized-capble of carrying 4 horses- lorry lol!
i will be posting piccies from the day!

Balky001
08-05-07, 09:58 PM
Just remember to take the horses out and put the bikes in - Rockingham may be curvy but you need more than 1 horse power to keep up! :p

Blue_SV650S
08-05-07, 10:04 PM
... bright yellow HORSEBOX!! :smt103 ...

Sounds like a sh1tty start to the day!! (and yes pun fully intended!! :lol:)

Balky001
11-05-07, 12:47 AM
How did the day go - did you get any dry track?

Paws
16-05-07, 01:16 PM
really enjoyed it, pics are now in the photo section
Asked Jet (one of the css instructors) for help after my first warm up lap as i wasnt enjoying etc, he took me round a few times,showing me where i needed to be/corner speed etc and then let me have a go by myself :)
Had 4 sessions in the morn and 4-5 in the afternoon, i only did 1 afternoon session as i was getting tired/was raining and i didnt wantto push my luck, i know my limits and it was time for me to call it a day.

Tris went straight in with the inters and stayed there all day, in the afternoon there was only him and 2 other guys left, one of whom went and crashed out in front of tris! he did all the afternoon sessions (inc in the wet) and really enjoyed it.