PDA

View Full Version : Northern Spain

rubberduckofdeath
02-05-07, 11:00 AM

Jelster
02-05-07, 01:22 PM
Hi all,

I'm considering taking a short trip with some friends along the coast of Northern Spain and the Pyrenees - any tips for place to go / stay etc?

Cheers!

Short trip & Northern Spain.... :scratch:

Compared to a trip to Alaska it probably is.....

Only tip I can suggest is leave on a Friday and take the train down as far as Avignon. Saves tyres, petrol and stress. Saturday morning you're nice & fresh (unless you drank too much the night before - me never [-() and ready to go....

Jelster
02-05-07, 02:33 PM
Haha, cheers Steve; I was hoping you'd respond to this one!

I'm looking at not riding through France down to the South because TBH the last time I did it was a bit of a slow ball ache, not much fun.

If you take the Ferry to Bilbao it takes like 2-3 days or something... Eats into you riding time, which is why we use the train. We take it down to Nice and spend a 2 or 3 nights in various towns which means we have days riding without all the kit on the bikes.

You could, if you wanted to, take the train down and have a couple of days riding plus 2 days riding back, or maybe train down and ferry back, if you have the time.

Riding to/from Spain when you have limited time is a pain, which is why I've never done it.

I will do it soon though, take 2 weeks and ride down through the Alsace, then Jurra, the Alps along the south coast of France and into Spain, and then onto Andalucia Mabe even take in a beer with that Peter Henry bloke...

The Basket
02-05-07, 03:22 PM
Santander and The picas europas or something. The ferry takes a day from Plymouth.

Really good with good roads. The weather is cooler too than the south.

Spain is Biiiiiig so everything is quite a distance.

The Basket
02-05-07, 03:28 PM
Santander and The picas europas or something. The ferry takes a day from Plymouth.

Really good with good roads. The weather is cooler too than the south.

Spain is Biiiiiig so everything is quite a distance.

Picos de Europa is what it is called....super sweet....

trickywoos
02-05-07, 04:00 PM
And as per our discussion earlier, here's the start of a thread that my friend has started about his trip to Spain- not a 4 day trip, but may be a taster!!

http://www.sv-portal.com/forums/showthread.php?p=432288#post432288

STRAMASHER
03-05-07, 02:36 PM
Taking the Portsmouth/Bilbao ferry for first time. 36hrs. Leaves 9.15pm friday, arrives sunday 8.00am.

Last time was the Plymouth/Santander. 24hrs leaves 8am approx saturday and arrives Sunday 8am.

No need this time for a night in B&b in Plymouth after charging down from Glasgow 500miles or summit. Depends where you are in the UK.

Its only 400miles from the Spanish ports to Barcelona via Zaragoza(great city) Easy in a day across the plains.

Sierra De la Demanda and around Soria is good biking territory. Picos is the same but bigger and higher.

Even the motorway around Santander/bibao/San Sebastian will fry your noggin. You got to love Spanish road builders.=D> We are paying for them so you might as well use them!

The planning is half the fun:)