PDA

View Full Version : The costs involved

John 675
11-05-07, 03:00 PM
Im really looking into getting a race bike i previously posted about getting a cagiva mito for use as a track/Race bike, but that aside i have a question for the racers amongst us.

Q: lets say a track bike costs 700 - 800 royal notes, what are other costs for tyres and parts in general, and anything that id need to run a race tuned bike, also what would i need because i have no idea ? ? ?

all answers on the back of a plain postcard please lol, :p

Tim in Belgium
11-05-07, 06:48 PM
I reckon you're honestly looking at £3-4 k a season on top of the bike itself as I asked a few people at one stage a similar question. Entry fees, fuel (getting there as well as racing), tyres, parts, accomodation, etc. Sure it can be done for less but realistically dont underestimate the costs. Doing a number of trackdays a year is a lot cheaper, but probably doesn't deliver the same "racing" thrill.

I know the difference in adrenalin between racing and practice can be great, I used to street luge at an international level and it was the close dicing whilst racing at 50-70 mph which was the real fun. Different I know, but practice somehow lost the edge after I raced, hence not wanting to try bike racing until I can afford a proper go at it.

weazelz
11-05-07, 07:13 PM
I think this (http://www.doctordanger.com/motorbikeroad/motorroadstart3.html) is quite good. not that I have any racing experience, but it seems pretty realistic

as for costs, it seems like you need to think of a number that is absolutely, definitely, positively the most you could ever afford to spend. & then double it ;-)

Tim in Belgium
11-05-07, 07:50 PM
Sweet, I used to street Luge with Doctor Danger.

No danger of him beating me as he was mad and often crashed, but he did have a chess board on his luge seat/bed which he played draughts on between races!

Think he also did the Pamplona bull run.

There was him and a mate.

Happy times, Aviemore 2001, and Hot Heels too.

Sorry for the derail.