PDA

View Full Version : Textile Jacket Washing

plowsie
16-05-07, 09:05 AM
Possibly another restart of a thread :smt021 :lol:

Should i wash my jacket or not. It has a horrible stink to it after the rain this week. I'm thinkin take the armour out and shove it in the washing machine. Has anybody had bad results?

Cheers

Stu

Rocket
16-05-07, 09:09 AM
My 5 year old FT jacket is no longewr waterproof so I have ordered some Nikwax tech wash and a reproofing spray. Hope it works as I am going to Scotland next Friday and the forecast is for lots of rain.

fizzwheel
16-05-07, 09:35 AM
My 5 year old FT jacket is no longewr waterproof so I have ordered some Nikwax tech wash and a reproofing spray. Hope it works as I am going to Scotland next Friday and the forecast is for lots of rain.

That'll do the job. If your washing it in the machine though take all the armour out first and put it on 30 degree cool wash.

Viney
16-05-07, 10:37 AM
I have never had good results washing jackets. 30 degrees isnt enought to get the kind of dirt that these jackets get, and had an issue with the Tec wash, but apprently its been improved.

Id get a bottle of Febreeze and spray the jacket to extinguish the damp smell.

fizzwheel
16-05-07, 10:40 AM
I've never used the tech wash, but Liz who knows more about this kind of thing recommends it.

What I have had good results with is baby shampoo and a bath of luke warm water, seems to do the job and it doesnt involve putting my jacket in the washing machine which I'm not keen on.

dirtydog
18-05-07, 07:31 AM
i washed my old FT fabric jacket in the washing machine, didn't come out as clean as i'd hoped adn leaked like a sieve afterwards

if i was going to do it again id try the baby shampoo in the bath like Fizz suggested

plowsie
18-05-07, 07:54 AM
I've done it, i washed it on a 30 degree wash, half scoop of washing powder, then left in the garden to air out or in the conservatory for 2 days, come out fine, haven't tested the sieve theory on it yet though.

fullstop102
21-05-07, 10:36 AM
yep never the same after a wash. I would look at getting the fabreeze out.. Thats what I do. There are some sealers but I have used a few and they have never stopped me from getting wet after it rains for more than about 10 minutes

Lozzo
24-05-07, 11:49 PM
Washing a textile jacket is recommended to clear the micropores in the breathable waterproof membrane, otherwise you'll sweat like a pig. You'll need non-biological detergent and a 40 deg wash cycle, then a short tumble just to get the worst of the wetness out. Finish the drying by hanging up indoors at normal room temperature.

My Hein Gericke Voyager 3 jacket and kecks are 6 years old now, done 75,000 miles and still look good, don't stink and keep me warm and dry, I've washed them about once every two months since I bought them.

micky t
15-06-07, 06:30 PM
yep, iv had my rukka jacket for a few years now, take all the amour out and chuck it in the machine, no problems, infact rukka recommend you to wash it as it helps with the waterproofing:)

Tempest
03-07-07, 02:16 PM
I’ve washed mine before and it lost all ability to repel water. I now use Nikwak Tenik. It’s designed for tents and gear but works really well on all textile gear. You need to make sure it’s well covered and leave it to dry in the sun. It’s no good for all you designer guys that like to have suits that “Breath”. Sorry but it seems just stupid to me. How can a suit breath and not let the water in. Now don’t start on about the really little holes that only let air in and not water. One day of riding in London smog and all those little holes will be full of crap.

So just get the tent spray and be done with it. You can pick it up from www.gear-zone.co.uk (http://www.gear-zone.co.uk/) and it arrives in a couple of days.

T