PDA

View Full Version : How do you clean leather gloves inside and out?

monkey
03-06-07, 10:48 PM
Got some horrible dermatitis thing last track day from my gloves amnd I reckon there's all sorts of nasty bacteria growing in there. Does anyone know how to clean them inside and out? I'm assuming they won't shrink if soaked as they've been soaked through in the rain before. I would hand wash them with a bit of washing powder but I don't want to ruin them. Anyone done this before? Oh yeah, they're Hein Gericke racing.

Thanks folks.

:)

Spiderman
04-06-07, 03:43 PM
Give your local Hein Gericke a call and ask them what they recommend. I know that you shouldnt use "normal" detergents if you have a waterproof membrane in them like GoreTex or ShelTex and you should use technical washes for that reason.

But if you can get a number for head office you'll probably get better advoce than you would from some dude on the phone. Also i'd suggest emailing the question to head office, that way if they shrink on you or fall apart you can blame their advice and get a new pair off them as compensation ;)

plowsie
04-06-07, 04:04 PM
what bout alpinestar GP Pro's? Cos my hands were shreddin to pieces coupla weeks ago from my gloves

monkey
04-06-07, 07:37 PM
Nice one Spidey, will do. Don't know about the alpinestars gloves.

They're summer gloves by the way so no membrane there.

:thumbsup:

GeeMac
07-06-07, 11:08 PM
I spray a whole load of sanitiser spray inside my gloves and leave them overnight in the airing cupboard. In the morning they're germ free and, as a nice bonus, lightly toasty warm!! ;)

Dan
08-06-07, 07:13 AM
Turn your freezer to maximum coldness and leave them in there overnight. That'll kill all the nastiness.

You could cook them for the same effect, but it makes a nasty mess of the oven, and the gloves might end up all shrivelled. Anyone else do that thing at school with a crisp packet in the oven that made it all tiny?

monkey
08-06-07, 09:58 AM
Very good idea WRC! Should really have thought of that with me being a fridge engineer!

Yeah I used to do that with crisp packets. Made keyrings out of them. WOuldn't fancy having tiny glove keyrings though! I could nuke them though? Hmmmn.

Quiff Wichard
09-08-07, 03:33 PM
get one of those micro wave- sanitiser things off dragons den-

about £500 !!

plowsie
09-08-07, 03:36 PM
Report back on cleaning mine, stuck em in the washing machine on a 30 degree wash, that did the trick

_Stretchie_
09-08-07, 03:58 PM
Washing machine, normal wash with my other dark stuff. Still the same size and al the stitching is as it was ....

SORTED!!!!

injury_ian
09-08-07, 04:28 PM
Turn your freezer to maximum coldness and leave them in there overnight. That'll kill all the nastiness.

You could cook them for the same effect, but it makes a nasty mess of the oven, and the gloves might end up all shrivelled. Anyone else do that thing at school with a crisp packet in the oven that made it all tiny?

Freezing just slows bacteria down, like a hibernation, the only way to kill it is to heat it or wash it.

*neither i may add would i reccommend on leather gloves!

monkey
09-08-07, 06:04 PM
Tell ya what I did in the end.

I froze them for a few nights and then gave them a warm hand wash with a little dettol! Tested it on a small area first of course. Worked a treat. No bugglies in there now and they smell.....er.....like dettol. He he he. It's worn off now actually.

I'm not convinced that a lot of the different bacteria on them wouldn't have died from freezing? Can you back up that claim? Go on, tell me you're a microbiologist! I love it when that happens on here.