PDA

View Full Version : Tyre Warmers

weazelz
10-06-07, 06:32 PM
anyone got any recommendation for some cheap & cheerful tyre warmers? are the £99-on-ebay motogp ones any good?

is it worth getting a generator for mallory/cadwell/lydden/etc ?

Skip
10-06-07, 06:58 PM
I saw plenty of people using the MotoGP ones at Snetterton the other week so I guess they are ok! For Cadwell you will need a generator, but check how much power it has, tyre warmers pull a large amount of juice!

in_your way_racing
11-06-07, 02:39 PM
Do they make that much difference? I thought, espically on track days, by the time it takes to get on the track the tyres would have cooled down again. Or am i wrong?:oops:

Skip
11-06-07, 02:43 PM
Do they make that much difference? I thought, espically on track days, by the time it takes to get on the track the tyres would have cooled down again. Or am i wrong?:oops:
Tyre warmers bring the tyre up to a temperature that is fairly close to a working temperature so you are able to go fast sooner - then when you come in you stick them straight back on so that the tyre has a decent heat cycle - otherwise they would cool right back to stone cold and you lose the efficiency of the tyre...

Something like that anyway! :rolleyes:

weazelz
11-06-07, 08:24 PM

I usually see people with warmers wait until the absolute last moment before whipping them off & joining the queue to go out on track

I've come off once this year already by being over-enthusiastic on not-fully-warm tyres - after three laps - so I'm keen to get whatever advantage I can

I also think that if you're getting really properly leant over, then it can be a bit catch-22, because you need the grip to get the heat to make the grip, if you see what I mean

in any case, tyres hold their heat quite well once they're warm - have you felt how long they stay warm after you come off track?

I think I've talked myself into a set now :D

Blue_SV650S
11-06-07, 09:28 PM
These the ebay ones???

ebay MotoGP warmers (http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/MOTO-GP-TYRE-WARMERS-SALE-PRICE-FREE-DELIVERY_W0QQitemZ150131762325QQihZ005QQcategoryZ2 5644QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem)

They look ok, but cheap isn't always good ;)

Diamond Security do good warmers for a fair price (£158 delivered) ... I intend to get some when I next replace mine ... (which might not be long as I kinda rogered them a bit last time I used them by clicking it in gear with them on :oops:).

http://www.diasec.co.uk/

I'd be interested in knowing if the MotoGP ones are any good mind ... I'd like to inspect a set close up ...

Blue_SV650S
11-06-07, 09:55 PM

Tyre warmers are not a necessity, but they do take the unknown away a bit ... also with 20 min session, you don't want to be wasting the first 5 wondering if your tyres are up to temperature ;)

Also as said above; keeping a tyres 'cycles' to a minimum is equally important and mainly why I use them at trackdays ...

If you do a lot of trackdays its a small investment and will soon pay for itself with 'on it' tracktime and hopefully less cold tyre crashes or at least confidence sapping 'moments' ;) ... also they make the tyres physically last longer as you don't get 'cold tear'

As the weasel says, I just wait until my group is about to roll out, rip the warmers off and go ... I am probably stationary in the collecting area for a max of 3 mins ... quite often roll straight out ... and can get 'on it' straight away 8)

Finally I have a genny up for grabs if you want it Weazelz ... its 3kw Honda jobbie, so plenty of power. It's quite old, but starts well and doesn't smoke or anything (good old Honda! ;)) it has circuit breaker box on it too, so foolproof 8) ... tell you what, you can have it for £50* as long as I can clag into it if we do trackdays (without power) together ... that way I don't need to lug it around!! ;) ... I take far too much stuff as it is!! :oops: :lol:

FYI its a Honda EG 3000X ...

*She is deffo a fugly, but if after first use you are not fully satisfied with her, you can have ya £50 back ;)

in_your way_racing
12-06-07, 02:27 PM
Also as said above; keeping a tyres 'cycles' to a minimum is equally important and mainly why I use them at trackdays ...

I've been told that only slicks went thru heat cycles. a Perrilli dude at Excell told me that the super corsa don't suffer.:confused:

In my case, a little knowledge can be a bad thing8-[

weazelz
12-06-07, 03:12 PM
I've been told that only slicks went thru heat cycles. a Perrilli dude at Excell told me that the super corsa don't suffer.:confused:
probably correct for road-compound supercorsa's. possibly/probably not true for track compound supercorsa's

Blue_SV650S
13-06-07, 09:15 AM
I was told a race compound supercorsa is effectively a slick with moulded groves ;) Same caucus, same rubber … I am not sure if that is 100% accurate mind ;)

Either way it is a race compound, not a road compound and I was told DO suffer from cycling in exactly the same way as race compound slick ... and I can see the logic as they do get f-hot, certainly hotter than any road tyre would ever get … a race compound has to work at much higher temperatures than road ... so the makeup of the tyre is different to a road compound.

One thing I have found in this game though is - ask 5 people the same question and you will get 5 different answers!! :D

Anyway, there is a lot of stuff I don’t ‘buy in’ to, but I do when it comes to the cycling theory on race compound tyres ... I also don't leave them exposed to daylight when not in use!! ;)

monkey
13-06-07, 07:09 PM
I've read that the sportier the tyre, the more the compound suffers with heat cycles but also that every tyre has heat cycles it's just the more sportier tyre the quicker they cool and longer they take to get to a good operating temperature.

Done my track day today on sports-touring and am more than happy with them! Seemed as hot and sticky as all my mates' sports tyres.

:)

monkey
13-06-07, 07:11 PM
Sorry I think I got that all wrong. Ignore me.

:albino: