PDA

View Full Version : bedford?!?

wooly
24-06-07, 05:23 PM
any riders in here over my neck of the woods?!? i know bedford isnt exactly anglia,but i DO get anglia tonight news on ITV!!!!:p i seem to be the only sv rider out here unless they're all hidden away!! can count on one hand how many ive seen in last 12 months!!! come on where is everybody!!!!

K
24-06-07, 06:37 PM
Of course Bedford is in East Anglia (speaks the person who has lived round there for more years than anywhere else ;)).

Hi there by the way.

There's a couple of folks over in Luton/Dunstable from what I can remember, then a few of us up the A428 in this here light of culture *ahem* that is Northampton.

Where abouts in Bedford are you?

davy
24-06-07, 07:56 PM
Bedford's not that far from Peterborough.

wooly
24-06-07, 09:12 PM
K- im out on the elstow side of town, not too far from the 421 interchange with A6, apologies for my anglia error, im really a northerner in disguise, only been in bedford for a couple of years now!!!

maybe have to show me some roads round here i dont know yet!!

thinkin about it, do any of you go to the star and garter on a wednesday night? lovely ride out there and usually a friendly meet

2mths
25-06-07, 09:27 PM
Hello again!

This would be that more appropriate thread I was thinking about when I mentioned such a thing in your "waterlogged" thread :-)

I must admit that I wouldn't have though of Bedford as East Anglia (I'd hav labelled it Home counties - Herts, Beds & Bucks) but it makes porbably the most sense of the regional forum choices.

I think I've been along to the Star & Garter, if that's the one on the Kimbolton road. Saw no SVs though. Roads I took from N'ton weren't so hot, but looking at the map I think I need to get a little more adventurous and creative with my route.

davy
25-06-07, 09:33 PM
Hi 2mths, you venturing out of Northants into the big wide world???

Lol

2mths
25-06-07, 09:52 PM
Hi 2mths, you venturing out of Northants into the big wide world???

How do you mean? In the 81 days I've had the SV I've taken her round to\around Norfolk on three occasions, up to North Wales (and back in a day) across to Worcester, down to Oxford and even to something like your neck of the woods Cambs. I wouldn't describe myself as Northampton bound :-)

wooly
25-06-07, 11:22 PM
I think I've been along to the Star & Garter, if that's the one on the Kimbolton road. Saw no SVs though. Roads I took from N'ton weren't so hot, but looking at the map I think I need to get a little more adventurous and creative with my route.

thats the one, i've not been about much recently but i do tend to get up there when i can,work permitting etc etc,the b660 out of bedford upto kimbolton isnt a bad road,not sure what else is around here though, seem to spend most my time on major trunk roads and motorways at the minute:(

K
26-06-07, 07:34 AM
Like many roads, the A428 from N'pton to Bedford is great when it's clear, but can be as boring as sin when it's full of traffic.

2mths, if you want a more 'interesting route' head out towards the Queen Eleanor roundabout and take the backroad to Newport Pagnal. Hang a sharp left before you get to the town and head towards Milton Keynes - before you get there head out towards Woburn Sands.
Then you have a chioce of the 'short way' through Ampthill and on to Bedford...

... or the 'long way' out through Clophill, Shefford and then back towards Bedford.

Hey - I never said it was a direct route. ;)

2mths
26-06-07, 07:41 AM
Cheers K

I'll have a look at that. The first section is the B526 I know that VERY well. I'll try to have a look at the other roads.

I had heard tale that there were problems with youths deliberately putting diesel on the roads near cranfield to practise their drifting. I don't know how true that is. By the looks of it though the roads you're talking about are probably far enough away to be ok. I have been led out there a couple of times but had no idea where I was going and some of the roads we were supposed to be taking were shut leading to random diversions.

davy
01-07-07, 09:10 PM
Sorry 2mths, i didnt mean to suggest you dont ride very far at all.
I meant to say venturing out again.

D

2mths
01-07-07, 09:15 PM
Hehe - I can now add to my list the 07 AR :-)

Need to update my mileage & fuel records now.

Skip
02-07-07, 03:26 PM
Need to update my mileage & fuel records now.
You must have quite some mileage on the SV now 2mths? The Zed is 1 year and 1 day old today and has 6,600 miles on it :)

2mths
02-07-07, 03:29 PM
It's getting there. Though the recent weather and 'saving' of the tyres for the AR have slowed the rate of mileage accumulation down.

I think she's probably on about 7600m now and I picked her up with 4012m so 3.5k in a little over 3 months. I'll go statto later and post a summary :-)

2mths
02-07-07, 05:02 PM
A brief history of 2mths SV ownership

Bike: '05 plate SV S K5 in Red

Purchased: 5th April 2007 with 4012 miles on the clock.

Now covered: 3936 miles in 87 days (~3 months).

Costs along the way:
Petrol - £338.75
Insurance - £225 (Fully Comp, now with unlimited mileage ;-))
Tools ~ £100 (Abba stand basically)
Service stuff ~ £50 (Oil, plugs, oil filter, brake fluid, coolant & P&P)
Accessories ~£50 (Fenda Extenda & 2nd hand F.Fabbri DB dark tint)
Tyres - Due a set @ ~£200

Average MPG 49.05

Gonna have to slow the rate of miles down though. Not going to be able to afford to keep going at the present rate.

Oggs
02-07-07, 05:16 PM
I've only had the SV less than 2mths, need to get the first service done :)

I'm over Dunstable way :cool:

Shepheam
04-07-07, 07:24 PM
Hi all
I've just recently moved to the land of beds and I have only seen 2 SV's in 8 months. I'm a new rider as well so looking for people to show me the ropes on an SV. If anyone is interested in showing a newbie around let me know. I'm in Marston between J13 M1 and Bedford. Need to rack up some miles this year and get to know the roads.

2mths
05-07-07, 06:23 AM
Hmm looks like it might be worth organising a little get together & ride Bedford way if the peeps on this thread are interested. Not sure I'm really the man for the job and I have no idea about the roads around there but I'll have a think about it and see if I get over that way for a play and check out of things.

BigBaddad
05-07-07, 08:10 AM
More than welcome to join us for this....the Rutland Ring. We shall be meeting at Peterborough at the services just off the A1/A605. Would only be about 45mins for you. Trying to get my brother over from Sandy for this too. I'm coming from King's Lynn 45mins for me too. Never riden here before bit it's supposed to be great.

http://forums.sv650.org/showthread.php?t=89516

Oggs
08-07-07, 11:18 PM
Saw a SV up at Dunstable downs this afternoon... anyone on here??

2mths
09-07-07, 06:36 AM
Gonna be playing on some Beds roads one evening this week I hope (stuff to the East of Bedford I expect). Looking for some new runs. Got a hint or two from K, now need to check the roads out and learn how and where to join them, plus hopefully find a few more.

2mths
11-07-07, 06:41 PM
Off out to play. Gonna try K's suggested roads.

Lozzo
10-08-07, 10:24 AM
any riders in here over my neck of the woods?!? i know bedford isnt exactly anglia,but i DO get anglia tonight news on ITV!!!!:p i seem to be the only sv rider out here unless they're all hidden away!! can count on one hand how many ive seen in last 12 months!!! come on where is everybody!!!!

The biggest reason why there aren't many Suzukis full stop in Bedford is because the dealer who 'was' the Suzuki franchise holder is a c0ck. Suzuki saw sense and took the franchise off him.

Sharka Zulu
23-08-07, 12:22 PM
Saw a SV up at Dunstable downs this afternoon... anyone on here??

Might of been me, I work on the Woodside Estate in Dunstable

http://img410.imageshack.us/img410/5067/image009hf9edityl7.jpg

Oggs
23-08-07, 01:48 PM
Might of been me, I work on the Woodside Estate in Dunstable

http://img410.imageshack.us/img410/5067/image009hf9edityl7.jpg

Afraid not as the bike was blue and not fully faired like ours.

Woodside... My place backs onto woodside :cool:

Sharka Zulu
23-08-07, 03:31 PM
Nice...
If you fancy a ride tomorrow after work (17:00) let me know

2mths
23-08-07, 03:33 PM
Ooh some other peeps not too far away. Any road recommendations folks?

Sharka Zulu
23-08-07, 03:36 PM
I Remember some of them... But I dont know where they are

Oggs
24-08-07, 10:42 AM
Nice...
If you fancy a ride tomorrow after work (17:00) let me know

Will have to sort out another time mate...

plowsie
24-08-07, 10:52 AM
Andy tell you what mate on my 4'clock run the other week on a saturday morning i went through wellingborough and out through finedon found some really nice country roads, then there is a road down from irthlingborough back to wellingborough with some blummin nice 90 degree turns. And the newport pagnell road out through horton and that is nice buttttt they were rebuilding the road through horton so it was rubbish :(

Lozzo
24-08-07, 11:28 AM
B645 out of Higham Ferrers to St Neots is a cracking road, with a nice mix of bends and some fast straight bits. You could turn either north or south of Kimbolton and follow the B660 either to Bedford (south) or Peterborough (north). I'd say go north because the new 50 limit applies all the way south, but it can still be a good road at those speeds if you just want to learn lines through corners etc. The fast fun bit goes north though.

If you carry on up the B660 you can make your way to Ramsey, and from there down to St Ives and on to Biggleswade. There's a good selection of roads there too.

For a good half a days ride-out you have to take in the A507 from Baldock to Buntingford and then head nroth up the A10 for a few miles and grab a bite to eat at the Silver Ball Cafe just outside Royston. The A507 is sublime - that, the B645 and the B660 are three of the best roads in Britain and they're right on my doorstep.

Sharka Zulu
24-08-07, 11:47 AM
Now that you mention it....
The run from Horton to Whipsnade is quite a goodin

And The road from Baldock to Buntingford is great. Its nice and open, so you can see if there is any traffic up ahead. Smooth road aswell