PDA

View Full Version : JT News...

fizzwheel
01-08-07, 02:18 PM
Seems JT is off to Moto Gp

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/motorsport/motorbikes/6925959.stm

It says "factory Yamaha" but who's he alongside.. Rossi has I believe stated in the past that he doesnt want to share a garage with Lorenzo and wants to keep working with Edwards, who really hasnt cut the mustard this year IMHO.

So is that JT and Lorenzo in one team with Rossi and Edwards in the other ?

I dug a bit more into that article, he's signed to Tech 3 apparently.. seems that Lorenzo is in a team by himself with two fiat riders ( Rossi + 1 other )

Jelster
01-08-07, 02:26 PM
Wrong move I say... He should of held out for a full factory ride, even if it wasn't next year maybe he could get a bike for 2009.

Even the full works Yamaha team are having problems, I mean if Rossi's not happy then something can't be right. He had the option of a Ducati for 2008 but turned that down saying he wanted full factory support, so I'm a little surprised at him jumping to Tech 3 Yamahahahahahaha.

Jelster
01-08-07, 02:28 PM
I dug a bit more into that article, he's signed to Tech 3 apparently.. seems that Lorenzo is in a team by himself with two fiat riders ( Rossi + 1 other )

I got the impression that Lorenzo had got Edwards' bike, and Edwards was offered the option of Tech 3 or a full factory WSB position....

Tech 3 will be upgraded from satellite outfit to full factory team next year.

I should read things properly shouldn't I :rolleyes:

Pedrosa
01-08-07, 02:41 PM
Tamada will be getting the Shepherd's Crook(hook?) from left stage to make way for Toseland. Tamada has underperformed since his days on Camel Honda.

I thought with JT's performances for TenKate that Honda would have provided a bike for him? maybe instead of wasting one with Team KR at least?

I dont see the Tech 3 as the best Toseland will get in Moto GP but the perfect platform for him to display his worth. Good luck to him.

Tech 3 upgraded to full factory team? Cant see that. Fiat Yamaha is the factory team.Anyone else is satelite with varying degrees of factory support as I understand it.

But that report is from the Beeb, not normally known for having their finger on the pulse of all matters Moto GP.

fizzwheel
01-08-07, 02:48 PM
I got the impression that Lorenzo had got Edwards' bike,

I thought that to, but from what I've been reading Rossi isnt keen to have him in the garage next door, wander why that is NOT.

More info on MCN website here

http://www.motorcyclenews.com/MCN/sport/sportresults/mcn/2007/august/august1-5/august0107jamestoselandconfirmstech3yamahasigningt omcn/

plowsie
01-08-07, 02:51 PM
I'm sorry but even though i am a big JT fan he will do a Hodgson i fear in GP. He is a good rider and very fit(exercise wise) to cut it but not enough to win races. I like him in WSB TBH.

John 675
01-08-07, 03:30 PM
I'm sorry but even though i am a big JT fan he will do a Hodgson i fear in GP. He is a good rider and very fit(exercise wise) to cut it but not enough to win races. I like him in WSB TBH.

repost from the other thread (cheers Fizz)

I cant wait . . . gives me someone to really follow and support i hope he wipes the floor with stoner, and besides if he wins i have a sighned lid that he did for me @ bikeshow 05 :eek:

Swiss
01-08-07, 03:31 PM
I can't help but feel this is not a great move for JT but I'd love for him to prove me wrong.

plowsie
01-08-07, 03:33 PM
repost from the other thread (cheers Fizz)

I cant wait . . . gives me someone to really follow and support i hope he wipes the floor with stoner, and besides if he wins i have a sighned lid that he did for me @ bikeshow 05 :eek:
I think Fizz posted first, if not he obviously is more populumalar :lol:

:notworthy:

weazelz
01-08-07, 08:20 PM
are tech3-yam going to be on Dunlops again next year? I bet James Ellison is having a wry chuckle at the moment

fizzwheel
01-08-07, 08:32 PM
are tech3-yam going to be on Dunlops again next year? I bet James Ellison is having a wry chuckle at the moment

I dont know, it says something in one of those articles about being promised similar spec tyres to Rossi, so maybe, maybe not...

Jelster
02-08-07, 08:18 AM

I don't see that..

I too am a big JT fan, and he has said that he needs something else other than WSB. Lets face it, as good as Foggy was, he never mixed at the "premier" class, and JT is looking for something else.

The Texh 3 team is going to be fully factory backed next year, and I think he'll win races & get on the podium. Enough maybe for another serious team to take him on.

Honda have blown it again, just like they did with Vermulen. You have a World class rider looking for a GP ride and try to fob them off because politically you don't fit this year. So he's found another ride.

HRC need to get their act together, do they want to keep everybody happy, or win races. Nakano is a good example, Jap bike, Jap sponsor, so they "have" to have a Jap rider; but he's not good enough, Tony Elias isn't much better either, and with Melandri off to Italy, they now have 4 satellite bikes with only one rider.

Go for it JT, show them that the UK can produce good GP riders. Last British GP champ was Barry Sheen, back in '85 I think...

PS: JT is an intelligent guy and doesn't jump at the first opportunity. I would have thought that he would have made sure that he gets not just a competitive machine, but competitive tyres and support too, otherwise he wouldn't have signed.

Razor
02-08-07, 08:24 AM

I was just thinking that.

plowsie
02-08-07, 08:27 AM
Its not what i want just what i think i reckon there is a slight chance he could cut it, on the other hand you look at bayliss, went to GP's after Edwards won the title, didnt do too well went back to supers, then as a one off end of last season, battered the whole pack in the Valencia GP. Like you say Jelster he is Factory backed it may just make the difference. I really do hope he does.

Daimo
02-08-07, 11:31 AM
PS: JT is an intelligent guy and doesn't jump at the first opportunity. I would have thought that he would have made sure that he gets not just a competitive machine, but competitive tyres and support too, otherwise he wouldn't have signed.

I agree. I can't see Toseland coming on leaps and bounds like he has the last couple of years (both with fitness and riding ability), possibly winning another WSB title, only to go to MotoGP on a under performing bike and get stuffed by everything. Im sure his move to MotoGP will only have been signed if he's got a very competitive package.

Shame though, could you imagine Rossi and JT in the same Yamaha team?

Also as said, even if he has got a good package, Yamaha need to raise the game somewhat. I think its more Rossi's skills getting the places than the bike.

Skill level from WSB to MotoGP is quite a lot. Not many WSB riders have gone to MotoGP and done really well (never really a championship fighter). It'll take a while to get adjusted, but he's a learning, he'll learn, adapt, and eventually (hopefully) win and contest a title at some point.

Would be nice to have a Brit to cheer for at MotoGP.

fizzwheel
02-08-07, 12:18 PM
Apparently the talk is of Tech 3 on Michellins or Bridgestones next year.

Its the tyres I reckon will make or break him.

plowsie
02-08-07, 03:24 PM
Seem's Yamaha have been having probs with the Michellins at the moment so it wouldnt suprise me to see Bridgestones being run.

El Saxo
02-08-07, 07:38 PM
Difficult one to call - if Tech 3 are getting factory backing next year, and if the factory Yamaha's stay on Michelin's, I don't think think Yamaha would be too keen to have the satellite team running Bridgestone's for fear of getting upstaged! Having said that, it could happen, a la Melandri on the Gresini Honda - he has HRC backing IIRC.

carty
03-08-07, 08:10 AM
I'm really pleased JT is going to MotoGP - I hope he does really well from the off :drink:

I read too that the Tech 'trois' will be on B'stones or Michelins, not the Dunlops so that is a bonus. Based on everything he has said about making his move to MotoGP, I reckon he will have been very careful to make sure that he will be getting sufficient backing that will allow him to be competitive, ie, good tyres, engine parts, mechanics etc.

I can't wait to cheer him on at Donington next year, I didn't rate Ellison although maybe he was just a bit unlucky with his timing and his team, hope JT fares better.

Jelster, don't know why you don't think Elias is much good? I know he has his moments of madness but he has an extraordinary amount of talent and sheer bravery! (plus I love his 'butt down' riding style!) If he hadn't have had his accident I reckon he would have finished top five or six this year. He rides the wheels off his Honda and similar to Stoner, I reckon if he had gone on to a rocketship Ducati this year he would have won a couple of races this year. I'm not taking anything away from what Casey is doing, he's awesome, but he clearly has the fastest bike and Elias with his balls-out riding would be hard to catch on that IMO.

Cheers,
Matt

Pedrosa
03-08-07, 09:59 AM
I have not checked at all but Steve I think you will find that Bazza was World Champ in the mid 70's? Then that a+s King Kenny turned up to create problems for him.

Last Britishg race winner in World Champs (moto GPish) was Jeremy McWilliams on a 25o Aprilia. We need a top boy to be out there if only to fill the void until young Smithy graduates through.

There is indeed talk of Tech 3 changing tyres but I feel it is more likely to be to Michelin rather than Bridgestone. If they went with the Japanese manufacturer we would then be so close to a 1 tyre maker situation.

Everyone is slagging off Michelin at the moment, but they assisted greatly Valentino in his 990cc dominance.This is the first year they have struggled whereas previous to this season Bridgestone have sucked sweaty arm pits and I still believe have cost Ducati dearly since 2003.

Jelster
03-08-07, 10:40 AM
Jelster, don't know why you don't think Elias is much good? I know he has his moments of madness but he has an extraordinary amount of talent and sheer bravery!

What he lacks is consistency. To be good you should be in the top 5 week in week, I don't see that in him.

Honda are in a real hole right now. They have a factory backed team with two riders but the bike is designed around just one of them. Their satellite teams have lost the two best riders to competitors, and the other two riders are either uncompetitive or can't stay on the bike.
You can tell it winds me up can't you, being a Honda fan :smt076

fizzwheel
03-08-07, 10:45 AM
I think Honda are just running to many bikes, with to many teams and to many riders all of who want different things...

Maybe if they focused their efforts on the 1 team maybe they wouldnt be in such a bad place right now ?

Would you wanna ride in a Honda satelite squad, knowing you'd be at the back of the queue for development parts, especially with this years bike. I know I wouldnt...

carty
03-08-07, 11:31 AM
Honda do indeed seem to have lots of riders who need their bikes completely tailored to their particular style / form, more so than the other teams I think.

There must be a hell of a conflict in the main garage at the moment, assuming that the RC212V was 'the same' before they started tailoring it to Pedrosa and Hayden they must have had to do a lot of work to make it rideable for each of them.

I actually think that Melandri and Elias would have been more successful so far this year than Hayden and Pedrosa if they had been in the full factory outfit (and without their respective injury woes!) I think they both have styles that are transferable to other bikes, like Rossi and Stoner both do IMO.

Did you hear that Melandri actually rode Laguna with a broken ankle? Mucho respect for that! :salut:

To get back on topic, I am a bit surprised that Honda weren't able to put JT on Melandri's old ride but maybe Yam offered him a better deal, financially or mechanically? Anyone read anything about how much he's rumoured to being paid next year?

Daimo
03-08-07, 11:39 AM
A good point about MotoGP, what prospects have we got for the next few years?

I don't think Haslem has got what it takes.
Little Smithy is a good chance, we'll ahve to see how he does on a factory 125 next year, but he's got the chance to learn a lot and become a great rider.

Most of the BSB guys are either getting on now, or simply don't have the all out skill to go all the way.

REalistically, JT and Smith are the only real prospects we've got. So go get em boys.

Jelster
03-08-07, 01:20 PM
To get back on topic, I am a bit surprised that Honda weren't able to put JT on Melandri's old ride but maybe Yam offered him a better deal, financially or mechanically? Anyone read anything about how much he's rumoured to being paid next year?

I think the major factor is that the Tech 3 is going to be a "full factory backed" bike, on par with the Fiat Yamaha team, but the satellite Honda teams are not, they have to make do with hand-me-downs and "tested" parts. (tested as in Repsol have had them for 3 or 4 races)...

Pedrosa
04-08-07, 02:48 PM
Playing Devil's Advocate here.....

If asked, HRC will tell you that all of the Honda RCV212 machines being run by satelite teams are "factory backed" which is completely true. Unfortunately those teams are a little way down the pecking order when the new good stuff emerges from the R and D department. To suggest that they receive anything other than good bits is frankly wrong and of no value to HRC. It is just a matter that the two Repsol Honda riders will get access to the new parts much sooner than the other team's riders.

I have still not seen anything that convinces me that Tech 3 will get any support other than what a normal satellite team would get...yes that is fully factory backed.But giving them the exact opportunity as their main team and riders? That really is never going to happen, apart from during the first few races of the new season when all will be pretty much on a par until data is looked at following those early races.

If anyone gets any hint of preferential treatment outside of the main Fiat Yamaha team in 2008 it will be Jorge Lorenzo on his Fortuna Yamaha and even that would see him lag a touch behind Rossi and his team mate.

Mariner
05-08-07, 09:39 AM
It's been an interesting few weeks for JT, but I feel he is in a "no win" position. He won't get any wins next season because Rossi and Lorenzo are both better riders than him and are far more consistent. Even if he has a full factory bike, albeit in Tech3 guise, he won't beat Rossi or Lorenzo. He is good and the best British rider around but he isn't in the class of Rossi, Lorenzo, Pedrosa, Stoner and Melandri. So his best bet is an occasional podium in tricky circumstances, although JT's wet weather riding skills are as good as mine!!!
If he was on a full factory Yamaha on Bridgestones then he may have an edge over other Yamaha's but the Yamaha is a long way behind the Ducati and Honda. It is only Rossi's brilliance that keeps the bike near the podium and look how hard he has to work for it!
A Honda ride would be ideal but Honda blocked his move to Gressini as they wanted him to ride the 2008 Fireblade in WSB. The offer of a Honda MotoGP ride was not a full factory Repsol bike, for 2009 I think you'll find a Pedrosa/Dovizioso pairing. So his best bet would have been a customer Honda a year late (a lot can happen in a year) and that doesn't include Honda changing their mind.
The D'Antin bike which was offered has now been left behind by Ducati, a lack of funding has meant that they can't afford the new parts on offer. It can only be worse for next year!
In summary the time is right for is move to MotoGP and the Yamaha is the best ride available. But a rare podium visit is as good as it will get, unfortunately!
We'll just have to wait for Bradley Smith in 2012!:(

muzikill
05-08-07, 01:14 PM
It was announced today on eurosport at brands that he will indeed be running on bridgestones.

Mariner
05-08-07, 01:32 PM
Well that certainly improves his situation and podium prospects!:)

He just has to worry about Stoner and Melandri on Ducatis now.

Defender
05-08-07, 05:24 PM
After seeing Toseland's 2 wins at Brands Hatch today I have great expectations for Motogp in 2008.

There may be 2 riders worth watching next year - Rossi & Toseland :)

Jelster
05-08-07, 07:57 PM
It's been an interesting few weeks for JT, but I feel he is in a "no win" position. He won't get any wins next season because Rossi and Lorenzo are both better riders than him and are far more consistent.

Blah blah....

We are talking about the same bloke here aren't we ?

You know, Mr consistency himself, James Toseland, the one with the white Honda ?

I don't think Mr Rossi has been that consistent this season....

Defender
05-08-07, 08:31 PM
I'd rather watch a race with competitors who ride like they want to win - and finished 2nd & 3rd etc - than watch a rider who leads from the start with no one challenging him.

Toseland's 2nd race today was well worth the watch and far more entertaining to watch than Stoner's win in the USA.

Jelster
05-08-07, 08:53 PM
I'd rather watch a race with competitors who ride like they want to win - and finished 2nd & 3rd etc - than watch a rider who leads from the start with no one challenging him.

Toseland's 2nd race today was well worth the watch and far more entertaining to watch than Stoner's win in the USA.

My point is that you say that JT isn't god enough and he lacks consistency. He is dominating WSB and is very consistent, I can't think of a better opportunity to move to GP.

As yet nobody knows what the real deal is, and I'd rather wait until this time next year before saying that he has no chance at all. JT's no fool, he'll have got a few things organised with a good bike, decent tyres and an experienced pit crew. I'm sure he knows that he's not going to win the Moto GP championship next year, but I for one expect to see him on a few podiums.

sinbad
05-08-07, 10:12 PM
Best of luck to him. It would have been very easy to just stick around as a dominant rider with a competitive team in WSB. He's seen how other riders do if they join lowly teams in motogp, they rarely stay there for long, and a top ride in WSB must seem like heaven compared with that.

He must be confident Tech3 is a real contender for decent finishes next year. You'd get crazy odds if you wanted to bet on him winning the title, but I think he's more concerned with being a motogp racer (not backmarker) than adding another trophy to the cabinet.

scWirral
06-08-07, 09:16 PM
OK, a few people have questioned JTs skill level. Remember what Troy did in his wildcard ride at the end of last MotoGP season.... Didn't he make all the 'experienced' GP riders look like club racers? I know that JT will have his work cut out next year, but he has certainly given Bayliss a decent contest in WSB this season....

Now why is Bayliss not looking to move? Does he have plans for walking the WSB championship on the big bore Ducati?

Alpinestarhero
07-08-07, 07:31 AM
All through J's career I have been very impressed by his progresion. It has been steady and he has used his head - there wasnt a season of finishing mid-ack, then all of a sudden getting wins and a world title, it all came progressivly. This is just the next step in JT's proggression as a rider. I beleive him to be getting top 10 finishes fairly soon in motogp, then top 5 towards the end of the season. 2008 will be his learning year - understand the bike, the tyres, and if he needs to, adjust his riding style (he had to do this a few years ago, old pics will show his elbow nearly on the ground through turns, now he dosnt hang off nearly as much)

I beleive he clearly has the skill an intelligence to become the best rider, and I also beleive he thinks the same - given time to evolve himself as a rider once more.

In the mean time, he still has to get the WSBK title - its not over till its over :cool:

Go JT!

Matt

Pedrosa
07-08-07, 09:21 AM
Why is Bayliss not moving? Moving to where? Dont let his amazing win last year at Valencia cloud the entire issue. He would struggle big time on the 800cc bike and should be looking for a more gentle pastime now in truth. He has though been a superb rider and character within motorcycle racing.

JT? He has as much if not more built in talent than say CV who was similar in age when he made the switch(give or take) JT's Yamaha will be about where the Suzuki's performance level of last year was.

Depending upon the consistancy of the tyres he runs with, steady top 10 finishes I think are well within his capabilities. He will not back down out of respect from anyone when he gets on track with the Moto GP boys that is for sure.

I think his main driving force will be to show Honda the finger for refusing to give him a Moto GP bike and he will be seeking to beat any satelite Honda's whenever possible.

Get behind him folks,it's been a long time since we had anyone with possibilities to cheer about in the blue riband class. (Maybe time for some of those fairweather winning fans to dump the Nš46 T shirts and smiley sun hats?)

Biker Biggles
07-08-07, 10:08 AM
Good career move for JT.He is a (hopefully)double world champion and he has to give motogp a go or he will always regret what might have been.Just like Foggy though he would never admit it.
He is a highly talented and underated rider,and should do well in the premier league given a competitive package,but lets not scupper him with over optimistic expectations too soon.Possibly one of the reasons he has done so well in WSB is that he is virtually ignored by the media here in blighty,and does not have the pressure of public demand for instant results.

The Basket
09-08-07, 07:14 AM
As JT says himself, he has beaten MotoGP class riders such as Biaggi and Bayliss so he certainly is worth a go. And Suzi Perry was all over him like a rash so that adds extra interest.:p

Is Edwards staying with Yam? I read this and thought if Edwards was going to Tech 3 then he has just lost a seat. Maybe Rossi wants Edwards coz he is a good wingman who is easy going and doesn't beat him.