PDA

View Full Version : The Which New Bike For Nick Thread?

ASM-Forever
08-09-07, 09:05 AM
Started a thread to stop the ape from crying when he see's how much OT the Dobles thread has been dragged.

Place your suggestions here for a SPORTS bike for roughly £3000. Bare in mind the Hornet riding position wasn't liked, so nothing like that.

Suggestions at the moment include:

CBR600f
R6
Blade
ZX6R

Personally for the money, i reckon you will get a lot more bike if you got an older R6 or Ninja....but hey ho. By all accounts the 600f is a great bike....but they seem to hold their value really well. I expect you would be lucky to get a FI(2000+) model for 2k.

So TVSF members....any suggestions? Or have you spotted any bargains locally?

Lets ease Nick's pain :p

StreetHawk
08-09-07, 09:08 AM
Budget is up to 3k now :-)

Gonna spend more on a bike and less on a car.. I'm liking the ZX6R ninjas but only from 2003 onwards, there arent any below £3.5 :-(

Old R6 maybe 2002 model in a private sale may do. Gonna try and get a ride on a CBR600F this arvo..

Cheers ASM - You bored?! ;-)

ASM-Forever
08-09-07, 09:17 AM
Yep definitely.....really missing the bike now i cant ride it. I could easily not ride for a few days before but now i cant i want to ride all the time!

However when im incapacitated i spend sod all £'s so will build up a nice supply to make mods galore to the bike when i can :)

I reckon thats a good decision(but i would wouldn't i) as not only are there some decent cars for £1000 but £3000 give you lots more options bike wise.

KnightRider
08-09-07, 09:27 AM
Cant believe you sold it Nick, its such a shame as it was a lovely bike. Still its always fun bike hunting!

Personally I've always fancied a ZX6R in green, but that is purely cause I think they good. I should point out here that I have no experience of what they are like to ride!

rictus01
08-09-07, 09:34 AM
Apart from the obvious jap four, a few left field possibles for you to consider,

Ducati 900ss
Kwak z750
Buel firebolt
Daytona 600/650
probably manage an early sp1 even?

Cheers mark.

StreetHawk
08-09-07, 09:36 AM
Apart from the obvious jap four, a few left field possibles for you to consider,

Ducati 900ss
Kwak z750
Buel firebolt
Daytona 600/650
probably manage an early sp1 even?

Cheers mark.

I should have mentioned that i've only been riding for 5 months so insurance on some of those would be astronomical! Can't get anything over a 600 really.. Maybe a kwak 750 wouldnt be too bad but it's got the Hornet riding position which I didn't get on with. Needs to be a sports bike.

rictus01
08-09-07, 09:45 AM
I should have mentioned that i've only been riding for 5 months so insurance on some of those would be astronomical! Can't get anything over a 600 really.. Maybe a kwak 750 wouldnt be too bad but it's got the Hornet riding position which I didn't get on with. Needs to be a sports bike.

OK TT600, one of the sweetest handling chassis I've every ridden (well excluding race bikes that is).

the ducati and buel are both 900s but you'll be surprise, your RR would be on the "more nickable" list so they could be about the same insurance wise.

Cheers Mark.

StreetHawk
08-09-07, 10:22 AM
Looking at this - ZX6R NINJA (http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=110165447440&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT&ih=001)

Looks like it could be within reach due to the mileage..

ASM-Forever
08-09-07, 10:31 AM
Looks quite good. I wouldn't worry unduly about the mileage if its been regularly serviced.

I woud expect that you can get if for under your budget as well, what with the minor imperfections and it being an ex demo.

I will be monitoring it now ;)

SDMF
08-09-07, 11:38 AM
Or you could just take ASM's bike...as he wont be needing it much at the moment ;)

ASM-Forever
08-09-07, 12:21 PM
:smt097

StreetHawk
08-09-07, 02:17 PM
I'm bidding... wish me luck!

StreetHawk
08-09-07, 02:29 PM
Won it for £2250.. Bargain!

Or not... Will find out soon! :-)

ASM-Forever
08-09-07, 02:31 PM
Won it for £2250.. Bargain!

Or not... Will find out soon! :-)

Ooh...i was wondering if your g/f was Monita Henning.

Hopefully it will be mechanically decent. When are you collecting? Today?

ASM-Forever
08-09-07, 02:33 PM
A SV, then a CBR and now a ZX in what six months....shocking bike turnover :)

StreetHawk
08-09-07, 02:37 PM
A SV, then a CBR and now a ZX in what six months....shocking bike turnover :)

You forgot the RS125 that lastest 3 weeks!

Waiting to hear back from the owner, pick up later today hopefully.

ASM-Forever
08-09-07, 02:42 PM
You forgot the RS125 that lastest 3 weeks!

Waiting to hear back from the owner, pick up later today hopefully.

For a minute i was wondering where you lay or hands on £2k cash on a Saturday when the banks are closed, but obviously you still hav the £'s from selling the CBR.

Where did it say it was again...Gerrards Cross?

You may as well go via A308 through Runnymede/Windsor...have a bit of a blast.

StreetHawk
08-09-07, 02:56 PM
I spoke to the owner earlier and he was in Slough getting it MOT'd. Waiting to hear back about getting it tonight. Insurance co have let me down though. Phoned them up and they said 'no probs, we can change it over straight away' then put me on hold for 10 mins and come back with 'we cant change it till monday as we need to contact the underwriter' GRRRRRRRRR!

rigor
08-09-07, 02:58 PM
Nice bike, budget for a steering damper :p Reputation has them being a bit "flighty" over bumps :D

Mate I used to work with had one, in the same blue, very nice indeed. He had a crazily loud Hi level Micron for it as well

StreetHawk
08-09-07, 03:09 PM
Just heard back from the owner.

Bike failed MOT, need front brake pads and the horn doesn't work. He gave me the option of getting it all done before collection probly weds.

OR

He will knock off the cost of getting pads changed, horn fixed and another MOT and I can collect now..

I'm thinking let him sort if before collection.. Wise move?

ASM-Forever
08-09-07, 03:27 PM
Well you dont have insurance until Monday so no point colecting until then. From then onwards it depends if you are working Mon/Tues as you wont ride it much anyway.

IMHO let him MOT it(that guarantees it passes....you never know what a different or even the same inspector might find on the 2nd inspection) so you dont have to worry about that. Then collect Wednesday after work with a big :)

If you are desperate for it then collect whenever you want, but factor in the potential inconvenience and riding with no MOT/insurance.

ASM-Forever
08-09-07, 03:31 PM
Nice bike, budget for a steering damper :p Reputation has them being a bit "flighty" over bumps :D

You can get away without one as long as you dont ride it really hard. Its the same as the early R6 in that respect. Personally i agree with you though and would want one fitted.

StreetHawk
08-09-07, 03:40 PM
Gonna let him get the MOT done before collecting. Never know how much the horn will cost to fix. Cant ride it till mon anyway. Will look into the steering damper thingy, not sure if i'll ride it hard enough but better to be safe than sorry i guess. Already watching a seat cowl on ebay.. New zorst and tail tidy needed too! ........... Here we go again!

SDMF
08-09-07, 03:51 PM
as long as you dont ride it really hard.

You seen Nick ride, he's like Rossi he is!! ;)

Horn shouldn't be too much- replacement I got for the SV was around £10..

sarah
08-09-07, 04:09 PM
Just heard back from the owner.

Bike failed MOT, need front brake pads and the horn doesn't work. He gave me the option of getting it all done before collection probly weds.

OR

He will knock off the cost of getting pads changed, horn fixed and another MOT and I can collect now..

I'm thinking let him sort if before collection.. Wise move?

Get him to fix it, didn't you said you've got to wait to get your insurance sorted anyway?

StreetHawk
08-09-07, 05:50 PM
Yep, he is sorting it.. Not insured till monday so good thing I don't have it or would be sooooooooo tempted :smt077

StreetHawk
08-09-07, 05:51 PM
Anyone know the web address of a ZX6R or Ninja forum?

Can't find one..

ASM-Forever
08-09-07, 05:58 PM
Anyone know the web address of a ZX6R or Ninja forum?

Can't find one..

PM Paws.....i seem to remember her mentioning one a few times..

Or try these:

http://www.kawasakimotorcycle.org/forum/

Or this:

http://www.kawasakiforums.com/

Or this:

http://www.mcnninjas.co.uk/forum/

Bloody old men and their poor googling abilities ;)

I will say now that sportbike forums are full of nobs.....you should see the R6 forum.

injury_ian
08-09-07, 06:09 PM
ooo a ninja, hope she turns out to be a gem for you nick.

ps, gisa go mr lol

StreetHawk
08-09-07, 06:15 PM
I'm faithfull to the .org! Just wanted to have a look around and get ideas as a new screen, exhaust, tail tidy are on my shopping list :-)

StreetHawk
08-09-07, 06:16 PM
ooo a ninja, hope she turns out to be a gem for you nick.

ps, gisa go mr lol

Got it for a good price so can get a decent car aswell.. Not that i've got around to looking yet! You can have a go on the Ninja if you so wish!

fat_brstd
08-09-07, 06:27 PM
on the car front you considerd a civic vti? you couold pick up a mint low millage one for the change you have left over from the bike swap.

StreetHawk
08-09-07, 06:35 PM
Yeah, considered a Civic, my dad had a few and they never broke down..

FB - You got a plan of action for your engine yet?

injury_ian
08-09-07, 06:36 PM
Hmm, I have a nice MR2 turbo for sale....

Stupid fast AND room for 2 sets of golf clubs in boot! ... Or 1 weeks worth of camping equipment and passenger.

:D

StreetHawk
08-09-07, 06:39 PM
I need something more sedate at my age!

fat_brstd
08-09-07, 06:54 PM
FB - You got a plan of action for your engine yet?

yup, im getting it out of the bike at the moment, which is turning out to be a lot harder than when i dropped my sv lump out mainly because the bike is so heavy and its still got things like wheels attached to it. Then there is a tlr engine (slightly more power - about 8-10 bhp, more aggresive cams higher reving etc) on ebay which looks like it could go for fairly cheep. If its under 400 then im having that or else ive found a tls lump for 500 which i will get. Then its just the small matter of finding time and someone to help (rictus said he would give me a hand which is very very nice of him) as im not the best at putting things back together again.

Once ive got the old engine out, im going to open it up and see whats done the damage and maybe consider a rebuild to make it stupid power, tlr cams for a start and it might need new pistons so see if a big bore kit can be found or something equally stupid or i might just chuck it if its too wrecked. you should have heard it thursday, i got it started and the engine knocking was louder than the exhaust. proper rediculous amounts of damage and still none the wiser as to why it happened. i think big end has gone as do the garage but the recovery guy said he thought it might be a snapped conrod.

on that civic, the vti is a 5 door with a 1.8 vtech chucking out 185 bhp and is good for at least 140 and there cheep. Vtech is so cool you can stay low in the rev range and its like any normal 1.8, stick up to the redline and its power just leaps. If i got a car it would have a vtech (unless it was an rx-7 in which case it would have 1 massive turbo)