PDA

View Full Version : Project Kwak...

StreetHawk
09-09-07, 05:19 PM
The Kwak is here! A bit shabbier than I expected TBH but i'm not too bothered as it was cheap and i'm gonna treat it as a project and tidy it up over the winter and maybe flog it on next spring..

Needs -
New can
Exhaust hanger
Screen
Tailtidy
Seat cowl
Clear indy's
New plate
Maybe wheels repainted as they look shabby
A bit of tidying here and there.. Here she is -

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v86/nick.nat/Kwak003.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v86/nick.nat/Kwak002.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v86/nick.nat/Kwak004.jpg

ASM-Forever
09-09-07, 05:39 PM
Looks decent enough :)

If you are going to sell it on, then dont spend a fortune on trick parts!

StreetHawk
09-09-07, 05:45 PM
Will try and get cheap used parts from ebay.. :-) No Akra or Yoshi going on here! Maybe a good old Fuel can will.. Or maybe a Micron or BlueFlame, whatever turns up on ebay I guess!

Warthog
09-09-07, 06:27 PM
Hey mate, just got back form London, looks like a nice bike! I look forward to seeing it and hearing your thoughts at the next meet. I am busy on Thursday, but Tuesday is good for me...

KnightRider
09-09-07, 09:57 PM
Thought you weren't getting it till Weds? Looks good though. Are we still on for a rideout Thursday then?

rictus01
09-09-07, 10:02 PM
thought the rideout was for Thursday ?

KnightRider
09-09-07, 10:29 PM
thought the rideout was for Thursday ?

My error...Tuesday, Thursday they both begin with the letter T, what can you expect from a numpty like me!

Demonz
10-09-07, 03:11 AM
You dont mess about. Nice looking bike - congrats.

ASM-Forever
10-09-07, 07:44 AM
The real question is, are you still pineing for the CBR? :)

StreetHawk
10-09-07, 09:09 AM
The real question is, are you still pineing for the CBR? :)

Yes! I will be until I get another one :p

I'm free for the rideout thursday..

SDMF
10-09-07, 04:06 PM
Riden her yet Nick? What it like compared to the CBR?

StreetHawk
10-09-07, 08:45 PM
Been out on her for 3 hours tonight..

Well, different kettle of fish compared to the CBR. It's very noisy, not the can (standard) it's the engine, it growls, whines, pops, wheezes.. all sorts! Not sure if it's meant to sound that way! Will need to get it checked over I think. It's very raw and buzzy, lots more vibration and seems more involving. All the reports said it was hardcore and thats a good word to describe it!

The front is a bit worrying. Its jumps and skits around at the slightest imperfection, run over an ant and you know about it. I rode along a newly resurfaced road and there was still some action with the front. It may be that I have the tyre pressure too high. I set it at 36/42 , the same as my CBR but it may need to be lower.

It was a real buzz though, when I got home I was couldn't stop grinning! :-) But that could just be that I was glad to still be alive!

sarah
10-09-07, 08:59 PM
Sounds like hard work!

Stig
10-09-07, 09:34 PM
Congratulations on your new bike. :cool:

StreetHawk
10-09-07, 09:44 PM
Rossi Style! (http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=300137059327)

ASM-Forever
10-09-07, 09:56 PM
Rossi Style! (http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=300137059327)

Such a can ***** and how many alias' can one person have?

If anyones Rossi then i claim him as i ride a Yam.

ASM-Forever
10-09-07, 09:57 PM
I've finally ordered some aftermarket.

R&G tailtidy and Powerbronze screen.

sarah
10-09-07, 09:58 PM
If anyones Rossi then i claim him as i ride a Yam.

You are both a bit funny looking :rolleyes:

StreetHawk
14-09-07, 04:08 PM
*** UPDATE ***

If any of you are interested! :p

Got some new bits on the bike now, Blueflame Evo S/S exhaust with silver exhaust hanger fitted today , sounds much better now.. Got Evotech tail tidy fitted too with 7x5 plate and clear indy lenses.. Got rid of the tatty tank pad and fitted new black Motrax one. :D

Seat cowl , light smoked double bubble, new mirrors and touch up paint are in the post as we speak.. Also, booked it into PDQ in Taplow today for a check over, makes some odd noises! they are gonna set up my suspension properly too as it's very harsh at the front over the smallest of bumps. Getting the Hot Grips taken off to and putting on Renthal race grips.. :-)

Will post piccies when got the lastest batch of goodies on (next week)

Consider yourself updated!

ASM-Forever
14-09-07, 04:13 PM
Jeez....you may as well have kept the CBR...this is going to work out more expensive :)

However congrats on making me look lazy/inefficient on the mod'ing front!

StreetHawk
14-09-07, 04:19 PM
Good ole ebay supplied most of the parts so far! Gone slightly over what I wanted to spend but some bits just couldn't wait!

ASM - Get your finger out, i'm expecting copius amounts of bling on your bike when I see it next..

SDMF
14-09-07, 04:24 PM
He'll be needing to fit these (http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Universal-Stabiliser-bike-wheel-Set-12-to-20-Bikes_W0QQitemZ270163561690QQihZ017QQcategoryZ7295 QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem) bad boy's...as he hasn't ridden for so long.

StreetHawk
14-09-07, 05:32 PM
He'll be needing to fit these (http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Universal-Stabiliser-bike-wheel-Set-12-to-20-Bikes_W0QQitemZ270163561690QQihZ017QQcategoryZ7295 QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem) bad boy's...as he hasn't ridden for so long.

:D :smt045

ASM-Forever
15-09-07, 10:13 AM

Gotta be worth a punt at £4.99!

StreetHawk
22-09-07, 12:26 PM
New pics - done Exhaust + hanger, Tailtidy, small plate, clear indy's, new tank pad, light smoked DB screen, new mirrors, touched up scratches.. Plus a few other bits and bobs.. Almost done now, cosmeticaly anyway! :D

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v86/nick.nat/Kwak1020.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v86/nick.nat/Kwak1021.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v86/nick.nat/Kwak1027.jpg

ASM-Forever
22-09-07, 12:30 PM
Good stuff!

How much did the cowl set you back?....I'm hoping the Yam equivalent will be similarly priced!

SDMF
22-09-07, 04:02 PM
Bike's looking v nice Nick. Well done :)

StreetHawk
22-09-07, 05:08 PM
Good stuff!

How much did the cowl set you back?....I'm hoping the Yam equivalent will be similarly priced!

Cowl £50 off ebay.. Not sure on a Yam one.. They can vary in price. Keep your eyes peeled on ebay :)

StreetHawk
22-09-07, 05:08 PM
Bike's looking v nice Nick. Well done :)

Cheers :D

Warthog
22-09-07, 05:16 PM
Bloody tidy mate! It was a lot dustier in my head, can't wait to see it out and about, well done!

ASM-Forever
22-09-07, 06:30 PM
I've just realised...Nick is trying to make his bike look like SDMF's :)

Warthog
24-09-07, 11:42 AM
I can report that the bike looks ace in the flesh, Nick 2 has done a great job with it. On the rideout it faired moderately well, nearly even kept up with my mighty SV (now with BP Ultimate!). :)

ASM-Forever
24-09-07, 11:48 AM
I can report that the bike looks ace in the flesh, Nick 2 has done a great job with it. On the rideout it faired moderately well, nearly even kept up with my mighty SV (now with BP Ultimate!). :)

:smt077

philbut
24-09-07, 12:23 PM
yep, the Ninja looked awsome, but them i am biased as i intended to buy a ninja instead of the SV and have been hankering after one ever since. Real nice blue flame can. it can't have looked that bad when you got it mate, forks and calipers etc all looked pretty clean.

StreetHawk
24-09-07, 04:33 PM

Dreeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeam.. Dream Dream Dream! :smt110

StreetHawk
24-09-07, 04:37 PM
yep, the Ninja looked awsome, but them i am biased as i intended to buy a ninja instead of the SV and have been hankering after one ever since. Real nice blue flame can. it can't have looked that bad when you got it mate, forks and calipers etc all looked pretty clean.

It was mostly the bits that I replaced that were shabby. I would have probably replaced them on any bike so turned out nice again!

The Kwak was at a garage today getting a few bits checked. They told me my calipers needed rebuilding in the very near future and then told me that they happened to have a set of 2k miles old calipers exactly the same that they could sell me for £150.. Is that too much for used calipers? Sounds high to me but I don't really know :confused:

No more front end squeak tho, new bearings and seals :D

ASM-Forever
24-09-07, 05:11 PM
It was mostly the bits that I replaced that were shabby. I would have probably replaced them on any bike so turned out nice again!

The Kwak was at a garage today getting a few bits checked. They told me my calipers needed rebuilding in the very near future and then told me that they happened to have a set of 2k miles old calipers exactly the same that they could sell me for £150.. Is that too much for used calipers? Sounds high to me but I don't really know :confused:

No more front end squeak tho, new bearings and seals :D

[paranoid mode] Seems convenient [/paronoid mode]

Assuming they are A1 condition(and they should be) thats not a bad price. Does that incude fitting though? Might be worth a check on ebay as well, as parts can be had cheap like a budgie.

So how much is this going to cost you all in then? I mean initial purchase/transport collecting/to garage/all the new parts/labour costs.

You probably could of kept the CBR ;)

fat_brstd
24-09-07, 05:25 PM
dont know if they are of any use but ive got a set of sv calipers you can have. probably not up to the same standard as the kwaks ones but you never know.

Stig
24-09-07, 05:45 PM
dont know if they are of any use but ive got a set of sv calipers you can have. probably not up to the same standard as the kwaks ones but you never know.

They don't fit.

Are you sure the calipers don't just need servicing rather than replacing? If servicing is all that is required, then some red grease, new seals and a bottle of brake fluid would be all that is needed.

If you really want to fork out silly money for a caliper service, I'll gladly take your money and do the job myself. Or you can bring yourself and your bike round to my house and you can do it for free while I watch. :wink:

injury_ian
24-09-07, 07:13 PM
They told me my calipers needed rebuilding in the very near future and then told me that they happened to have a set of 2k miles old calipers exactly the same that they could sell me for £150..

LOL yeah, don't buy them, you cant tell when calipers need rebuilding until they start binding, no forewarning if you like. and even then, caliper refurbishment isn't the hardest job in the world.

StreetHawk
24-09-07, 07:46 PM
Cheers FB, but no go..

BigApe - Is it really a simple job to rebuild a caliper? Fancy supervising while I do it?? Would be a good thing to learn I guess if it costs £100 per caliper to rebuild*

*So I was told today..

Stig
24-09-07, 07:58 PM
It basically involves pushing the pistons out, cleaning them and the callipers up. Renewing the oil and dust seals if required and refitting and bleeding them with new oil.

You can see if the pistons need replacing whilst they are out.

To play on the safe side of things, buy a new seal kit and some brake fluid. That's all you will need to do a service on them. If it's found new pistons are required, you can do this at your leisure. Some will say always renew the seals if taking them out. I have used the same seals for the last three times I have stripped the callipers and still have no issues with them. But I always have the new seals just in case I do actually need them.

I'm in all weekend this weekend coming, if you have the seals before then, come round. It should take no longer than a couple of hours.

Stig
24-09-07, 07:58 PM
Oh and if you can't get any red grease, don't worry, I already have some.

StreetHawk
24-09-07, 10:31 PM
Cheers Ape.. I'm moving house this weekend so will ahve to arrange another time but i'm dead keen to have a go myself. How much am I looking at for the seals for both calipers / brake fluid / red grease?

Warthog
25-09-07, 01:29 PM
what a helpful young man!

ASM-Forever
25-09-07, 02:00 PM
If you still had the CBR....you probably wouldn't need new/rebuild calipers....:)

StreetHawk
25-09-07, 04:17 PM
If you still had the CBR....you probably wouldn't need new/rebuild calipers....:)

The CBR is gone.. Long live the Kwak! :D

Where is the fun in having a bike thats perfect! I'm gonna get my hands dirty with this one. You go a new can then??

ASM-Forever
25-09-07, 04:32 PM
The CBR is gone.. Long live the Kwak! :D

Where is the fun in having a bike thats perfect! I'm gonna get my hands dirty with this one. You go a new can then??

Nope....although in a shocking twist the Yoshi carbon has edged ahead.

The voice within say's to wait until i can fit it until i order and let my £'s accrue interest.

sarah
25-09-07, 04:34 PM
Nope....although in a shocking twist the Yoshi carbon has edged ahead.

:thumright: