PDA

View Full Version : engine swap this weekend (hopefully all done on sat)

fat_brstd
17-09-07, 08:29 PM
Ok guys, after the disaster which happened after the last ride out i have managed to get myself on a new (18k miles) 97 tls engine which should be a direct replacement for the one thats in the bike at the moment. I have been trying to get the bike appart over the last week but have failed misserably reallising that as i have to put this one back together i dont really have any idea where to start. I am going to admit that even dropping the old one out is a job i am unable to do on my due to being lame. I am hopping some of you lot might have some idea as to what might need doing so if anyone is free this weekend (preferably sat) then i will be attempting to do this then (hopefully i will be able to convince rictus that its a good idea to help me then as well).

On offer to those who can make it are: tea and biscuits, a bbq if the weather is any good, the chance to have a rumage through whats left of my curvy sv for any parts that you might want (for free) and the oppotunity to completely dismantle an engine so we can see how they actually work from the inside out as i know i dont really have any idea and some people showed interest in this before.

Cheers guys and if this works then there is always the oppotunity for an impromtue ride out/pub trip and i will be showing up to the ride on sunday as well if this works.

have fun all

SDMF
17-09-07, 08:34 PM
PM me your address I should be able to make it....not the best when it comes to engines though... but I'm sure two heads are better than one!

Stig
17-09-07, 08:43 PM
You say it's a direct replacement :?:

If that is the case, I'd say get a digi camera a note book and photograph everything you do so that when it comes to putting the replacement engine back in, you can work out what to do via pictures. Add notes if needed for each photo.

For example if you find something that could be a little tricky working out from the photo alone and an sentence or two to explain what you need to do.

Not sure that I will be able to get down to you for a hand, but I will certainly try.

sarah
17-09-07, 09:12 PM
I'd love to come and help/watch but I'm going to be in Cornwall this weekend. Have fun and good luck!

Sosha
18-09-07, 09:34 AM
Label what you disconnect as you go...... that's all the advice I've got...

Oh and something(s) to put the bits in...

That doesn't tip over when you step back and kick it

:???:

Goodluck Jim,

This message will self destruct in.....

KnightRider
18-09-07, 09:57 AM
Might pop over for a bit to help out/have a nose at your engine. Need to see if my G/F will give me a pass though it all depends on her!

What time are you looking to start?

Jon

PS - PM me your address and mob just in case I get a green card!

Stig
19-09-07, 05:28 AM
Sorry I can't make it. Jo is working which means I'll be looking after the kids. Soz.

fat_brstd
22-09-07, 12:14 AM
well with luck i shall get this done tomorrow hope someone shows up to help cause otherwise i think im pretty scr3wed. night guys

SDMF
22-09-07, 08:39 AM
I'm gonna aim to leave bout 10.30 so I should hopefully be up around 11..

philbut
22-09-07, 08:49 AM
alright fella
only just noticed this thread, but if you still need a pair of hands or a specific tool give me a shout. the g/f is off having a riding lesson today so i'm FREE!

fat_brstd
22-09-07, 09:31 AM
alright fella
only just noticed this thread, but if you still need a pair of hands or a specific tool give me a shout. the g/f is off having a riding lesson today so i'm FREE!

you have a pm with my address if you fancy coming down. the more the merrier.

SDMF
22-09-07, 09:35 AM
I'm gonna leave now...so keep an ear out for my SV in about half an hour.

StreetHawk
22-09-07, 12:27 PM
Hope all goes well mate, would liked to have been there but going to watch Reading v Wigan.. Probly wish I had come and helped! :rolleyes:

StreetHawk
22-09-07, 05:12 PM
How'd you get on with the engine swap FB?

We seeing you at the Shire Horse tom?

Warthog
22-09-07, 05:18 PM
I know Phil went off to help, so hopefully it went well!

SDMF
22-09-07, 06:16 PM
When Did Phil go? I was there till about half 3... we managed to get the exhausts off, drain the oil, remove the rad and oil coolers, and had the tank off by then. Also the electrical connectors had been disconnectd. All that was left to do was take off the front sprocket- already had the bolt undone ready for that. After that it should be possible to drop out the old engine...

So did you get anything else done after FB? Or is the old lump still in there?

fat_brstd
23-09-07, 01:14 PM
phil showed up about 5 mins after you left sdmf. Didnt get any more done and now ive just risen with the hellish post payday headache.

SDMF
23-09-07, 09:02 PM
You get any work done today?