PDA

View Full Version : falling off

duffbattye
26-09-07, 03:12 PM
Hi,

copied this in general forum also as want to spread the word

I know something best not to talk about but...

I had an off on a track day about three weeks ago. bust my collarbone and thumb in two places

the nhs where much as you imagine - putting in a sling which is wrong thing to do etc etc

the trackday told me about this guy in ipswich who does all the bsb, moto gp injuries. treated bradley smith, reynolds, john hopkins, loads of motocrossers etc etc

anyway nhs told me 5 to 6 weeks. i got two treatmenst from this guy (he uses magnets and lasers) and he put me in a harness. it was £180 and post treatment i could lift my arm above my head. in two weeks i had pretty much full movemen in my arm. after three weeks i'm out of harness and all looking good

it took me a week to find out about him so thought i would pass on the knowledge in case anyone has the bad luck i had. if you break a bone - call this guy as soon as you get out of hospital!

http://www.physioclinic.net/

duff

Robw#70
26-09-07, 06:36 PM
Brian Simpson is the best, treated most racers and footballers right up to the top levels, with all the latest equipment.

He's not just good with bones, does physio and also has an oxygen chamber for alternative treatments.

monkey
19-10-07, 10:49 PM
Magnets and lasers eh?! I'm intrigued.

chunkytfg
24-10-07, 09:32 AM
Magnets and lasers eh?! I'm intrigued.

C+P from the above website

Pulsed Magnetic Field Therapy and Pulsed Laser for Fracture Healing

Pulsed Magnetic Field Therapy
The use of Magnetic Fields to aid the healing of bones has been long practised with good results, particularly when applied to non-unions. The FDA in America approved the use of PMFT in the treatment of fractures and non-union fractures in 1979. It is a non-invasive therapy which induces low frequency electrical currents in bone. The whole subject of magnetic fields is extensive and a deep study is beyond the scope of this synopsis. However, there are some readily understandable concepts. Pulsed magnet field therapy (PMFT), sometimes referred to as pulsed electro-magnetic field therapy (PEMFT) is defined in the treatment of fractures as the application of time-varying magnetic fields that induce voltage wave-form patterns in bone similar to those resulting from weight bearing and mechanical deformation. The electrical voltage is induced at right angles to the pulsed or dynamic magnetic field. This is termed electro-magnetic induction. The strength of the magnetic field in clinical applications is from 30 gauss (30G) to as much as 1000G - the earth's magnetic field in comparison is in the region of 0.5G - and a frequency range of 1Hz to about 200 Hz is typically used. All the studies quoted here are regarding pulsed magnetic fields and NOT static magnetic fields. The main requirement is that there is some dynamic interaction i.e. relative movement between the field and target tissue. In long bones, the marrow produces DNA -bearing immature blood cells which transform to become bone. Under normal conditions, therefore, the healing of fractures takes the form of regeneration as opposed to repair. Magnetic fields will penetrate virtually everything so a POP or Baycast cast is no obstacle to treatment with this modality. The physiotherapist would need to mark the approximate area of the fracture, referring to the X-rays for guidance.
Gossling et al in a literature review in 1992 concluded that PMFT was at least as effective as surgery in cases of non-union with an overall success rate of 81% against 82% for surgery, although infected non-unions showed a success rate of 81% with PMFT against 69% for surgery.
Basset et al in 1982 researched results in treating ununited fractures and failed arthrodeses with PMFT. In a large group of patients with an average of 4.7 years non-union, 3.4 previous surgical failures and a 35% infection rate, bony healing took place in 75% of the patients treated with PMFT.
Pulsed Laser Therapy
"Laser" stands for Light Amplification by Stimulated Emission of Radiation. The main differences between Laser light and high-intensity light is that Lasers emit a coherent beam i.e. all photons are in phase and synchronised, the light is monochromatic i.e. one single, very specific wavelength and the Laser is applied with a specific dosage in mind, usually measured in Joules per square centimetre. Some Lasers are used in contact with, or very close to, skin and usually have an optical lens giving a divergent beam, frequently in the region of 6 degrees, while some more powerful Lasers emit a non-divergent beam which can scan along easily set parameters along X and Y axes to cover a larger area. The use of a non-divergent beam means that the inverse square law does not apply although clearly it does in the case of the 6 degree divergent beams.
The usual therapeutic wavelengths are in the far red to near infra- red (FR/NIR) wavelengths, ranging from about 600nm (visible red) to 1000nm non-visible infra-red). Most therapeutic Lasers typically have outputs ranging from 5mW (0.05W) to 1000mW (1.0W) and treatment times can vary from mere seconds to several minutes. Some more powerful scanning Lasers such as those used in this clinic can deliver 3W, non-divergent, continuous output and have the capability to produce a thermal burn if applied inappropriately. Some research studies indicate tissue response may be dose dependent as well as being dependent on the irradiation time and irradiation mode. Dickson et al showed a 300% increase in ALP ( alkaline phosphatase) expression in rat femoral fractures irradiated at 10-15 J/cm2 using a 820-830nm laser. Alkaline phosphates levels indicate bone-forming cell (osteoblast) activity. The main effect is photo-chemical and not thermic. Photon irradiation by light in the FR/NIR spectral range has been found to modulate various biological processes in cell culture and animal models. The mechanism of photo-bio-modulation by FR/NIR at the cellular level has been ascribed to the activation of mitochondrial respiratory chain components. Growing evidence suggests that cytochrome oxidase is a key photo-acceptor of light in the FR/NIR spectral range. Cytochrome oxidase is an integral membrane protein having a strong absorbance in the FR/NIR spectral range, detectable in vivo by NIR spectroscopy.
Far red cellular irradiation has been shown to increase electron transfer in cytochrome oxidase, increase levels of mitochondrial respiration and ATP synthesis in isolated mitochondria and also to up-regulate cytochrome oxidase activity in cultured neuronal cells.
This photo-stimulation also induces a cascade of signalling events such as activation of immediate early genes, transcription factors, cytochrome oxidase subunit gene expression as well as other enzymes and pathways related to increased oxidative metabolism.
Photo-stimulation of mitochondrial electron transfer is known to increase the generation of reactive oxygen species which may function as signalling molecules to provide communication between mitochondria and cytosol and nucleus.
Yaakobi and Oron showed that osteoblast/osteoclast population was altered by a 120% increase in ALP and 40% reduction in TRAP in the rat tibia. TRAP (tartarate-resistant acid phosphatase) is an indicator of bone-absorbing cell (osteoclast) activity. Histomorphometric analysis showed volume fraction of new reparative compact bone in the irradiated animals as being 27+/- 9% against 9+/- 7% at 10 days, 88+/-9% against 44+/-9% at 13 days and 94+/- 6% against 58+/-5% at 15 days. The wavelength used in this study was in the far red spectrum of 630-640nm.
Khadra et al investigated the weight percentages of calcium and phosphorus in rabbit tibial bone irradiated by an 810nm GaAlAs laser. These were found to be higher in the irradiated group compared to the control group with P=0.037 for calcium and P=0.034 for phosphorus, suggesting bone matured faster in the irradiated group.