PDA

View Full Version : gas boiler has gone

steveg
05-10-07, 07:59 PM
Got home , noticed smell of gas in garage , called transco who came out & tested for leaks ( have condemed boiler) it is 35 years old .
Time for a new boiler , may be new rads as also 35 years old !

How much as a ballpark for new gas boiler & 6 rads in 3 bed semi .

I was guessing about 3k fitted ?

Cheers Steve

kwak zzr
05-10-07, 08:08 PM
my mate in walsall is a plumber (corgi) want his number?

kwak zzr
05-10-07, 08:09 PM
british gas 3k+

skint
05-10-07, 08:17 PM
Pricey cos you'll have to upgrade to a condensing boiler (unless you got that already). Make sure whichever plumber you get that he/she is CORGI registered and get to see their card.

Thought mine had blown but this time it was just the pump! Just waiting for the day though...:smt012

kwak zzr
05-10-07, 08:21 PM
you can have a standard combi for less but the condenser cost less to run and you get a cash incentive off the government if you do decide to have one.

skint
05-10-07, 08:24 PM
No you can't, Building Regulations requires replacement boilers to be condensing (even in an existing house) unless you can show it isn't possible to do - and that's very hard to prove. A CORGI reg plumber shouldn't be fitting anything else.

kwak zzr
05-10-07, 08:26 PM
oh, when did this come in? is it a new thing?

arenalife
05-10-07, 08:33 PM
I gots my boiler for £350 new off the interweb, and got local corgi guy to fit for £350. British Gas will seriously want to empty your wallut. New Rads will be much more efficient too. Just stop the wimmin from hanging clothes directly on them, that's just throwing your money away efficiency wise.

skint
05-10-07, 08:36 PM
Can't recall exact date but mid last year. I think it wil apply to oil fired this year too (may already be in) follows on with the major Amendments to Regs dealing with Conservation of Fuel and Power (L1 & L2) which also came in last year and is part og the effort to combat carbon emissions. Building Regulations generally only apply to new building works but have been extended to similar repairs like this as the bulk of our housing stock is old with high carbon footprints.

There are few similar quirks when doing repairs to your home.

kwak zzr
05-10-07, 08:39 PM
just been reading about it on web, well i didnt know that:) i hope mine dont pack up them condensers are expencive.

husky03
05-10-07, 08:42 PM
done mine two weeks ago-condensing boiler, seven radiators-fitted in a day -2400

worth it

husky

dirtydog
05-10-07, 09:04 PM
Time for a new boiler , may be new rads as also 35 years old !

How much as a ballpark for new gas boiler & 6 rads in 3 bed semi .

I was guessing about 3k fitted ?

Not much point in just replacing your boiler as your system will need to be powerflushed otherwise it will normally invalidate your new boilers warranty powerflushing the system will cost aroun about £500-600 plus seeing as your pipework and rads are 35yrs old they probably wont stand up to the powerflushing and will end up needing to be replaced anyway.

Can't recall exact date but mid last year. I think it wil apply to oil fired this year too (may already be in) follows on with the major Amendments to Regs dealing with Conservation of Fuel and Power (L1 & L2) which also came in last year and is part og the effort to combat carbon emissions. Building Regulations generally only apply to new building works but have been extended to similar repairs like this as the bulk of our housing stock is old with high carbon footprints.

There are few similar quirks when doing repairs to your home.

Someone knows their stuff! There are a few quirks with what you can and cant replace like for like or whether you have to upgrade the part (float valves for instance).

steveg
06-10-07, 08:29 AM
Thanks for all the replies.

To be honest I was brought up in a house with no central heating and would not care if I had no rads but the family is used to it .

Thanks for the offer of a number Kwak , I already know a gas fitter , however he's away at the moment ( on holiday , not bars)

Lets hope its a mild winter ......

Then again just kitted myself in HG winter clothing , which I can wear in the house while the family freeze MuhaaaaaaMuhaaaaaa

Cheers Steve

tigersaw
06-10-07, 10:37 AM
I'd get your 35 year old one fixed :) I had a 37 year old potterton in my old house - fantastic boiler, would even run without electricity. That leaked gas from one of the small pipes within at one point, I just got a new one formed and fixed it.

kwak zzr
06-10-07, 10:46 AM
built to last then they was, we had an old potterton flamingo and that never let us down either.