SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum (http://forums.sv650.org/index.php)
-   Idle Banter (http://forums.sv650.org/forumdisplay.php?f=116)
-   -   Gripe of the day - What is yours? (http://forums.sv650.org/showthread.php?t=212216)

embee 01-03-22 12:05 AM

Re: Gripe of the day - What is yours?

Unfortunately that's how power hungry folk get their support. Tell people that their problems are due to someone else, tell people that someone else is bad, that they are actively making life difficult for you and want to suppress you, vote for me and I'll sort "them" out for you. It has worked in history, everything from 1930's Germany through to 2016 UK referendum and USA presidential election.
There will always be a receptive audience if the propaganda is convincing. Tell people what they want to hear, positive reinforcement, and they'll vote for it. It doesn't have to be true, it doesn't have to be delivered, just providing the votes get the candidate elected for long enough to establish themselves. Some societies are strong enough to enact a correction, some aren't. Some of the elected are brutal enough for it not to be possible.

Adam Ef 01-03-22 07:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by svenrico (Post 3135521)
Putin ... - is he deranged ?

Simply, yes he is.

Adam Ef 01-03-22 07:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by embee (Post 3135523)
Unfortunately that's how power hungry folk get their support. Tell people that their problems are due to someone else, tell people that someone else is bad, that they are actively making life difficult for you and want to suppress you, vote for me and I'll sort "them" out for you. I...

Very true.

Works even better if you crush their spirits and wellbeing through your actions and policies and then tell them it's due to the bad people. This happens allover the world in one way or another, and to a (less extreme) extent, in our country too.

Important to remember though that not all Russians agree with or support Putin. So it doesn't work 100%

Craig380 01-03-22 09:16 AM

Quote:

Some societies are strong enough to enact a correction, some aren't. Some of the elected are brutal enough for it not to be possible.

Indeed. And some societies have a proper, balanced electoral system that doesn't give a single party a mandate to do more or less whatever it wants for 5 years.

redtrummy 01-03-22 07:54 PM

'Important to remember though that not all Russians agree with or support Putin. So it doesn't work 100%'

Unfortunately a lot of them end up in prison or dead

svenrico 01-03-22 09:19 PM

Quote:

Unfortunately that's how power hungry folk get their support. Tell people that their problems are due to someone else, tell people that someone else is bad, that they are actively making life difficult for you and want to suppress you, vote for me and I'll sort "them" out for you. It has worked in history, everything from 1930's Germany through to 2016 UK referendum and USA presidential election.
There will always be a receptive audience if the propaganda is convincing. Tell people what they want to hear, positive reinforcement, and they'll vote for it. It doesn't have to be true, it doesn't have to be delivered, just providing the votes get the candidate elected for long enough to establish themselves. Some societies are strong enough to enact a correction, some aren't. Some of the elected are brutal enough for it not to be possible.

That sums it up very well. There is some tactic attributed to Nazi propaganda ,can't remember exactly how it goes, but basically accuse the other side of doing exactly that which you are doing yourself, which is what Putin and his henchmen do or a form of that but basically telling barefaced lies .

svenrico 01-03-22 09:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by redtrummy (Post 3135544)
'Important to remember though that not all Russians agree with or support Putin. So it doesn't work 100%'

Unfortunately a lot of them end up in prison or dead

Yes, isn't some 'trial' due to take place of the opposition leader they poisoned (if he is still alive).

Seeker 01-03-22 10:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by svenrico (Post 3135549)
Yes, isn't some 'trial' due to take place of the opposition leader they poisoned (if he is still alive).

Navalny is getting a second trial which may (as in: will) add 15 years to his current 3.5 year sentence.

embee 01-03-22 11:47 PM

GOTD - the UK attitude towards Ukrainian refugees arriving at Calais or Gare du Nord.
I feel ashamed.

Bibio 03-03-22 09:27 AM

Putin is only taking back stolen property. its only been 7 years? and a war was fought to gain control of land. Putin is only retaliating as he wants his land back. Gaza Strip springs to mind and thats been going on for 100 years in different guises.