SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum (http://forums.sv650.org/index.php)
-   Idle Banter (http://forums.sv650.org/forumdisplay.php?f=116)
-   -   Public Sector Pay Cuts (http://forums.sv650.org/showthread.php?t=154229)

Quedos 07-07-10 01:58 PM

Re: Public Sector Pay Cuts

[QUOTE=punyXpress;2313556]
Quote:

Originally Posted by G (Post 2313506)
Stressful because if you don't hit your target, you get a warning, miss the target next month and your out of a job.

That is precisely what the Public Sector should be doing!

so how do you put targets on the public sector?

take my job - working in partnership with police and NHS my target to reduce crime in a certain are by provide X number of diversionary activities BUT I have no funding
I don't get all the funding i need to hit target or or there's a delay in funding - I get the sack. not every job relies on soley on one person.

Those that can have tangiable targets are already on traget and piece work and earning bonuses for hitting those targets

Specialone 07-07-10 02:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by punyXpress (Post 2313652)
So the second order of pills helps to pay for ongoing development - not all research bears fruit.

No, but im sure everything they sell already has the R&D price factored in on the first years sales, so there really should be reductions, like in the car industry / manufacturing, the car plants expect 3-5% reduction from their suppliers every year as you take all your tooling and set up costs in the early years and supposed to get more effecient, so pass the savings on to them.

I dont think the drug companies are naive, they wont enter into R&D for something unless they know they have a good chance of success.

gettin2dizzy 07-07-10 02:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by specialone (Post 2313703)
No, but im sure everything they sell already has the R&D price factored in on the first years sales, so there really should be reductions, like in the car industry / manufacturing, the car plants expect 3-5% reduction from their suppliers every year as you take all your tooling and set up costs in the early years and supposed to get more effecient, so pass the savings on to them.

I dont think the drug companies are naive, they wont enter into R&D for something unless they know they have a good chance of success.

R&D is astronomical for pharma companies. EACH drug costs on average in the hundreds of millions (some estimates say $800m.)

Specialone 07-07-10 02:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gettin2dizzy (Post 2313706)
R&D is astronomical for pharma companies. EACH drug costs on average in the hundreds of millions (some estimates say $800m.)

Im sure more in some situations, but you wont find a hard up one thats for sure ;)

Milky Bar Kid 08-07-10 03:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by specialone (Post 2313569)
Thats kinda what i mentioned in a earlier one of my posts, we pay too much for (sometimes) over the counter drugs, when places like tesco and asda sell them cheaper :(

When they do the R&D on a new drug, once approved, the sales they do to hospitals etc the prices are reflected with this in mind, for example.

these are not real figures just a illustration,

R&D on a pill costs £3m,
NHS orders 3m of them straight away at £2 each (£1 of this is r&d recovery price)
They have now recovered the R&D outlay,
Other countries place order, NHS order another 3m, global sales 20m pills, still same price, is this value for money, now we know the r&d has been paid for ages ago?

This is one area where the government should pay attention to.
Maybe government should fund R&D for certain drugs they want, and let companies make them under license.

Sorry if my point confuses you, it did me for a bit ;)

But you're not thinking about the full picture there. What about employees wages, overheads, tax, materials etc etc etc??

Whilst in principle I understand what you are saying, I don't think it works quite that way.

G 08-07-10 07:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by specialone (Post 2313709)
Im sure more in some situations, but you wont find a hard up one thats for sure ;)

Astra Zeneca have just had to close their Loughborough R&D facilities and manufacturing plant, loosing 1200 jobs in the process. Due to lack of demand and hard times.

punyXpress 08-07-10 09:06 AM

[QUOTE=specialone;2313335]
Staying on the NHS, the amount of money that gets wasted on over inflated drug supplies is shocking.
The pharmacutical companies charge way over the odds for stuff, you know they have rediculous expense accounts as they pay for conferences in hot sunny exotic places, they pay for food and drinks at xmas parties etc, the list is endless.

. . . and who are often the guests at these thrashes?
None other than the managers of the client PCTs who then return the favour with bigger & better orders!