SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum (http://forums.sv650.org/index.php)
-   Track Days (http://forums.sv650.org/forumdisplay.php?f=154)
-   -   Rockingham Nat. Sun 22nd March 2009 (http://forums.sv650.org/showthread.php?t=125060)

injury_ian 18-03-09 11:50 PM

Re: Rockingham Nat. Sun 22nd March 2009

Err, I'd think so....

I'd class myself as a fast road rider, I have done a few car track days, but I'd assume inters will be subastantually faster than the novice! (being that we are on slow bikes anyways)

I was under the impression that if you were substancially better / worse than the rest you could move up / down a group?!

Binky 18-03-09 11:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by injury_ian (Post 1827441)
I was under the impression that if you were substancially better / worse than the rest you could move up / down a group?!

I think that this is stated on the website, yes.

EDIT

Quote:

Originally Posted by injury_ian (Post 1827441)
Err, I'd think so....

Please don't think i am an overly confident, cocky guy. I'm not i just believe that both myself and the bike would be best suited to inters here.

Zombie Jesus 19-03-09 12:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Binky (Post 1827437)
I am. Hopefully i don't come into any trouble on the day. I know the layout of the track, track etiquette, general track rules (i.e. flags etc). I'm certainly not a loon, and most importantly i guess, i am a relatively fast rider.

My decision was affected by a friend lowsiding while trying to overtake vastly slower bikes, and we are of a similar pace. Before booking into inters i viewed many videos from a range of different groups to gauge rough speeds for them first and i think i fit best into the intermediates.

Do you think it was the wrong decision for me to do so???

The general skill level of a particular group will always vary, last time at anglesey there was nothing slower than a IL4 600 and most were well ridden dedicated track bikes. I guarantee you will not be the fastest in the novice group. You're right about slow riders being difficult to overtake because many of them wobble a bit and take unpredictable lines. The same problem exists for riders who are on the slower side for inters however in this group you're more likely to get passed closer and at a higher difference in speed.

I'd recommend switching to novices on the day if possible on the basis you'll enjoy it more and also learn more IMO. They usually are pretty accommodating for people wanting to change.

Binky 19-03-09 12:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zombie Jesus (Post 1827459)
The general skill level of a particular group will always vary, last time at anglesey there was nothing slower than a IL4 600 and most were well ridden dedicated track bikes. I guarantee you will not be the fastest in the novice group. You're right about slow riders being difficult to overtake because many of them wobble a bit and take unpredictable lines. The same problem exists for riders who are on the slower side for inters however in this group you're more likely to get passed closer and at a higher difference in speed.

I'd recommend switching to novices on the day if possible on the basis you'll enjoy it more and also learn more IMO. They usually are pretty accommodating for people wanting to change.

I'll bare that in mind Zombie. I'll heed everyones advice then and give No Limits a call tommorrow...

carty 19-03-09 10:59 AM

Personally I think you'll be fine in inters Binky- out of everyone I've ridden with you are probably the most naturally gifted, you are faster through corners than most people. Put it this way, next time I go I'd go in inters and you're better than me!

I think you'd be massively held up in novices tbh, stay with inters. You'll be blasted on straights but you won't hold people up in the corners.

Binky 19-03-09 11:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cartwrim (Post 1827708)
Personally I think you'll be fine in inters Binky- out of everyone I've ridden with you are probably the most naturally gifted, you are faster through corners than most people. Put it this way, next time I go I'd go in inters and you're better than me!

I think you'd be massively held up in novices tbh, stay with inters. You'll be blasted on straights but you won't hold people up in the corners.

Cheers Matt. i'm flattered. :D I also thought that the SV won't get murdered as much on the National due to a lack of long straights...

I think i'll still give No Limits a call i think though, just to give me another option and ask thier advice as to possibly going down on the day.

carty 19-03-09 11:16 AM

You're right about the straights to an extent- you will still get a fair few bikes going past you as the differences between an SV and an SS600 are really highlighted when the throttle gets pinned out of corners but at least when you get to the corners you won't be held up by some of the real novices bimbling around.

plowsie 19-03-09 07:47 PM

Gonna try and pop up earlyish for a little blatt peeps but I will have to leave relatively early too lol. Like, get there for first coupla sessions. I'll see.

phil24_7 19-03-09 08:34 PM

Go on plowsie,m you know you wanna see Brian! (The CBR)

plowsie 19-03-09 08:52 PM

What you doing about getting up there matey?

I'm thinking of going real early up there, where are you gonna be in the morning, driving from home or from an overnight stay cos I will guide you in if ya like?