SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum (http://forums.sv650.org/index.php)
-   Bikes - Talk & Issues (http://forums.sv650.org/forumdisplay.php?f=129)
-   -   Crunchy helmet cam footage (http://forums.sv650.org/showthread.php?t=227057)

Blapper 07-06-17 10:45 AM

Re: Crunchy helmet cam footage

Yep. Fraid I'm with Bibio. Looked like a sudden rush of blood to the head coupled with slow reflexes. Sorry.

I hope for better from the insurance for you though.

ophic 07-06-17 11:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blapper (Post 3070763)
Yep. Fraid I'm with Bibio. Looked like a sudden rush of blood to the head coupled with slow reflexes. Sorry.

I hope for better from the insurance for you though.

Do bear in mind that action cams have a very wide-angle lens. Distances and speed appear exaggerated.

SV650rules 07-06-17 12:32 PM

This is why 'undertaking' on the road is so closely related to 'undertaker' LOL Passing traffic on left is always a bit dodgy as people don't expect it, and van driver may have been looking for a bus but not something smaller. Glad you are OK.

Best summed up as Sh!t happens !

ophic 07-06-17 12:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SV650rules (Post 3070769)
This is why 'undertaking' on the road is so closely related to 'undertaker' LOL Passing traffic on left is always a bit dodgy as people don't expect it, and van driver may have been looking for a bus but not something smaller. Glad you are OK.

Best summed up as Sh!t happens !

I'm guessing he might have seen a bus but taxis, motorcycles and cyclists are all allowed to that bus lane. Most drivers are very careful about crossing them.

This guy I think just went on a headlight flash from a queuing driver without actually looking to see if it was clear.

Not that I'm defending the lack of self-preservation instinct that seems to have overcome me at that particular moment.

Chris_SVS 07-06-17 01:08 PM

In the world of cyclists we have a saying, "No point being dead right if you're right and dead"

ophic 07-06-17 01:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris_SVS (Post 3070774)
In the world of cyclists we have a saying, "No point being dead right if you're right and dead"

I'm familiar with the saying, and agree with it fully.

Talking Heads 07-06-17 05:10 PM

The type of accident you've had is one which bus drivers are always wary of, vehicles will regularly turn through these "keep clear" gaps even if there's a chuffing great double decker coming towards them, so always approach with caution when there's stationary traffic in the outside lane.

Before you passed the red plumber's van, you can see the white minibus through the gap between the van and the lorry, so you should perhaps have anticipated the possibility it could appear in front of you?

And yes, I'm a bus driver :)

Dave-the-rave 07-06-17 05:58 PM

Bus lanes. Dodgy. Slowly slowly.

ophic 07-06-17 06:48 PM

Thanks for advice folks. I've kinda already stated I know where I went wrong. I'm not some green teenager, I know better and I'm really quite annoyed at myself right now. By all means keep posting advice; I'm just saying, I know.

Teejayexc 07-06-17 07:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris_SVS (Post 3070774)
In the world of cyclists ......

Ah yes, that utopian world where nothing seems to be in colour. Traffic lights, cross hatching on the roads, Belisha beacons, even the flashing lights of emergency vehicles all appear to fade into the same strip of Tarmac ( usually about two foot in front of them), that your average cyclist deems to think they own.

Oh, and as for sounds in this brave new world, nothing can be heard except the repetitive beat of 'I want to ride my bicycle, I want to ride it where I like' in their iPod headphones!