SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum (http://forums.sv650.org/index.php)
-   SV Ecosse (http://forums.sv650.org/forumdisplay.php?f=127)
-   -   Scotland trip from London (http://forums.sv650.org/showthread.php?t=170529)

Bibio 05-09-11 06:21 PM

Re: Scotland trip from London

this is a nice route for an evening blast:

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?saddr=...3&via=2,6&z=10

maviczap 05-09-11 06:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by husky03 (Post 2598756)
testicles only smaller

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bibio (Post 2598759)
Haggis testicles. they are like lemmings at this time of year. they run onto the roads and drop their chukkies to get a new set of 3 for next year.

I'm still none the wiser and its not a term I've ever heard my BIL talk about :p

Geodude 05-09-11 06:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by maviczap (Post 2598754)
What are chukkies :confused:

Quote:

Originally Posted by husky03 (Post 2598756)
testicles only smaller

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bibio (Post 2598759)
Haggis testicles. they are like lemmings at this time of year. they run onto the roads and drop their chukkies to get a new set of 3 for next year.

These replies really made me laugh lots thanks guys :D

Quote:

Originally Posted by maviczap (Post 2598770)
I'm still none the wiser and its not a term I've ever heard my BIL talk about :p

Gravel or stones ;)

husky03 05-09-11 07:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by maviczap (Post 2598770)

tell him your gonna see who the real man among you is and its time to get the measuring tape and your chuckies out.

maviczap 05-09-11 07:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by husky03 (Post 2598841)
tell him your gonna see who the real man among you is and its time to get the measuring tape and your chuckies out.

lol :d

Mike_84_650S'99 05-09-11 10:34 PM

Right. Thanks a lot for advice especially about chukkies;). A93 will be taken into consideration. If anyone would like to join us yer more than welcome. I don't know which day we will do it but if anyone's got any plans PM me. I'll have my laptop with me.

So far apart from Edinburgh Castle and other attractions city wise (my gf's been there already so she knows more or less where to go) we thought about visiting Stirling for Wallace monument and Falkirk as I wanna see the Falkirk wheel. Any other places to see within lets say 100 miles from Edin?

Mike

fenjer 06-09-11 07:45 AM

Loch Lomond, Scone Palace, St Andrews (for ice cream - yes even in November!), Anstruther (for Fish and Chips) Stirling Castle, Moffat Toffee Shop (Moffat)

The National Museum of Scotland on Chamber Street in Edinburgh has just re-opened after a multi-million pound revamp and is well worth a visit.

The Wallace monument is great, but take trainers, there's a lot of steps up it, and a big walk up a hill to get to it!

maviczap 06-09-11 08:59 AM

Climb to the top of Arthurs Seat and appreciate the view

The wiskey museum near the castle

Tiger 55 08-09-11 07:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike_84_650S'99 (Post 2598964)
Any other places to see within lets say 100 miles from Edin?

The ticket office at Waverley Station. "Return to Glasgow please."

Be good to yourself. :)

SoulKiss 08-09-11 07:50 AM

On a practical note.

Did this at Easter 4 years ago, well an extra few hours north to Aberdeen, I also did it over 2 days, stopping at Preston.

1) Its a long ride - are your pillions used to that kind of distance? Are you?

If the answer to either of these is no, then plan for "non-bike days".

2) It gets dark earlier at this time of year, and when it does the temperature will drop.

On the plus side, although temperatures will be lower because of being further north, it will be lighter for longer.

So make sure that thermals etc are being worn, or you will be making a lot of stops just to warm up, making a miserable journey even more miserable.

3) Just get there.

Dont plan a long circuitous route to get there, especially if you have novice pillions, save any "pleasure" riding for when you get there.

My route would be M1 -> M6 toll -> M6 -> A74(M) -> A702 then whatever gets you to where you are staying. The A702 route is about the same time-wise as the M74/M8 but a little more fun. If tired, it DOES lack in Service Stations, so the Motorway may still be the better bet.

Ok so maybe its wussy advice, but the last thing you want/need is to be REALLY dreading the ride home.