SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum (http://forums.sv650.org/index.php)
-   SV Ecosse (http://forums.sv650.org/forumdisplay.php?f=127)
-   -   The Single malt appreciation thread. (http://forums.sv650.org/showthread.php?t=138445)

Essex of Essex 30-08-09 05:00 PM

Re: The Single malt appreciation thread.

Oban is my choice.

El Saxo 30-08-09 05:03 PM

I'm a newbie when it comes to whiskey, but I've got a bottle of Balvenie in house at the moment which is going down very well.

Was round at a mate's house last week and was sampling some of his collection - Lagavulin is probably my favourite so far.

Also (bit controversial perhaps for a thread in the Ecosse section :wink:) he had a bottle of Japanese single malt which was really nice, I just can't remember the name of it though...

Luckypants 30-08-09 08:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GordonM (Post 2020255)
Laphroaig is the one I drink most, but Lagavullin is even better.

I love pretty much anything from Islay except Ardbeg.

Ardbeg is one of my favourites! The best I ever had was a 21yo Cask Strength from Cadenhead's Rare Malts selection. Partial to 25yo Macallan to, not that I can afford it very often!...

Oh so many excellent malts, almost all others are good but one or two poor ones I've had in my time. :smt041

Luckypants 30-08-09 08:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tiger 55 (Post 2020439)
Well the Highland Park served at a recent society wedding is hard to beat but a bottle of Glenlivet 12yo would more than suffice if you're asking, I am a man of simple tastes.

Springbank 10yo is another favourite, although I had the misfortune of leaving my last bottle unattended in the vicinity of my father-in-law. I can only hope the greedy bugger enjoyed it as much as I would have.

The only malt in the house at the moment is half a dozen miniatures of Tomatin 12 y/o which I'm keeping for historical/sentimental reasons, The actual drinking whisky is Johnnie Walker Black label, with a half bottle of Blue hiding behind it for special occasions.

The first time I tried Glenlivet 18yo was a revelation, almost like a fine cognac with that hit of smoke and peat that only a good malt can deliver!

I have not tried the 10yo Springbank as I worry it will disappoint. Tesco some years ago had their own 21yo bottling of Springbank that was silly cheap for what it was, so I filled me boots. My experience of Springbank is limited to this 21yo and wonder if the 10yo will suffer in my view because of that? No pub around here stocks much in the way of malt whiskies so I have no way to try before I buy.

gedt5 30-08-09 08:29 PM

i know its not a single malt but i cannie resist a drambuie and ice

Ruffy 30-08-09 08:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kwak zzr (Post 2020293)
i'm only a whiskey drinker at christmas time really ...

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Guru (Post 2020477)
Im not a Whiskey drinker.. .

Any recommendations for a whiskey
novice?

Quote:

Originally Posted by dawn07 (Post 2020545)
I'm a ned....Grouse whiskey for me!:smt108

Quote:

Originally Posted by El Saxo (Post 2020691)
I'm a newbie when it comes to whiskey, ...

Be careful, there could be a scottish reprimand on the way!:)

IIRC Scotch is always "Whisky". "Whiskey" is from somewhere else.

I'm an englishman but also partial to a dram of the dark spirit - have enjoyed Laphroig, Glenlivet and various finishes of Glenmorangie in the past, but most recently have been slowly working my way through a Macallan special reserve (actually I think it's a blend of same distillery single malts, so does it count? Very smooth though.) +1 to Highland Park supporters also - lesser known in the mainstream perhaps but I remember it was very palatable when I sampled some a long time ago.

ooger 30-08-09 08:43 PM

Glenkinchie. Wonderful stuff, and a good tour, if I remember rightly....?

Hic.

ethariel 30-08-09 08:58 PM

Lagavulin 16yo is a very nice tipple and smokey and peaty enough for me (the office calls it 'TCP', heathens the lot of them), tho Laphroaig cask strength is just inside the 'oh god it burns' barrier and is a nice change, followed up with Talisker and Oban as a joint third.

Not too partialed to the east coast malts at all however.

ooger 30-08-09 09:00 PM

This thread needs a vote:

Is peaty whisky bad? (its a bit like Marmite - you either do, or you dont)

Yes
No

Get it done!

suicidesam 30-08-09 09:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ruffy (Post 2020859)
Be careful, there could be a scottish reprimand on the way!:)

IIRC Scotch is always "Whisky". "Whiskey" is from somewhere else.

Irish twang springs up everywhere ;)