SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum (http://forums.sv650.org/index.php)
-   Idle Banter (http://forums.sv650.org/forumdisplay.php?f=116)
-   -   Recommendations requested for places to stay in France please (http://forums.sv650.org/showthread.php?t=161607)

Fizzy Fish 17-01-11 01:47 PM

Re: Recommendations requested for places to stay in France please

Quote:

Originally Posted by mattSV (Post 2462064)
Carcassone is a great place to stop for a couple of days, one of the largest medieval cities in the world (I think) and not far from Millau (big bridge) and the Tarn Gorge (amazing roads)

A big +1 to those suggestions!

Plus the French down that way seem to hate the English a bit less than those in the North of the county...

davepreston 17-01-11 04:55 PM

mont st micheal (prob spelt wrong) is defo worth a look if a little expensive

Bluefish 17-01-11 07:50 PM

we, stayed here, it's a lovely quiet town, with small campsite, the fort would be worth a visit, Givet is a commune in the Ardennes department in northern France very close to the Belgian border. It lies on the river Meuse where Emperor Charles V built the fortress of Charlemont.
Later on, another building was added to the fort, the Caserne Rougé, the longest barracks of France at that time, named after Pierre François, Marquis de Rougé, general of the French armies k.a. 1761.

Ed 17-01-11 08:16 PM

In the foothills of the Pyrenees but a little way off your probable route is the town of Condom. Totally unrelated to the prophylactics of the same name, it's worth taking the time to investigate Condom, I mean rather than to press on regardless. I hear that it has a nice, safe feel about it. The Condom experience adds heightened pleasure to any trip.

Edit - PS, probably not wise to go in the height of summer as Condom can get very wet, and full to bursting.

monkey 17-01-11 09:49 PM

He he he. That's a good one. Maybe we'll take in Brest too!

Ed 17-01-11 10:26 PM

Good thinking. But don't go anywhere near Aas.

monkey 17-01-11 10:33 PM

WHAT! I'm there already...

The Missus has already made up a map with most of your suggestions on!

I've just thought of a place I heard of where you can sleep in little houses carved into caves. I'll have to look it up.

Thanks. Keep 'em coming though!

fizzwheel 17-01-11 10:56 PM

Depends on your route, but if you are going up through that side of france ish, then I can heartily suggest you stop by Le Mans, and take a trip down the Mulsane straight and a few other bits of the circuit that is on the public road.

If you are into motorsport like I am, it really made the hairs on the back of my neck stand up as we thumped along the Mulsanne Straight. It'll only take you 1/2 hr or so for that and if its kinda of on your way well it would be rude not to...

Again I dont know your route, but we found a quality campsite in Thiviers

http://www.camping-thiviers-perigord...d-contact.html

Decent site, food & a little bar on site with a pool. Probalby not a huge amount to do, but certainly a place to stop a night or two and recharge the batteries.

Dont know if that helps or not...

monkey 17-01-11 11:28 PM

It's all helpful Fizz thanks. I very much like the idea of the Le Mans detour.

embee 18-01-11 12:58 AM

I've spent many an idle hour perusing the campings on Cybevasion . Quite useful.

If you want a scenic route I'd definitely support the suggestions for the Millau viaduct and then the Tarn Gorge. I really like the Massif Centrale generally, you can find some pretty wild areas. They do tend to get fearsome electric storms in summer though.