SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum (http://forums.sv650.org/index.php)
-   SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking (http://forums.sv650.org/forumdisplay.php?f=111)
-   -   Fuel pump not arming (http://forums.sv650.org/showthread.php?t=185046)

phil24_7 27-09-12 12:00 PM

Re: Fuel pump not arming

Right...just tested the fuel pump connector. Yellow/Black wire has 11.7v Yellow/Red wire has 0.08v does this sound about right or should the Yellow/Red wire have more voltage for the pump to prime?

Regards
Phil

phil24_7 27-09-12 12:40 PM

Right, I think I have ruled out the alarm. I just took it apart again and tested the in and out voltages for the 2 immobilisation circuits. Whatever is being fed in is fed out. 11.7v for the fuel pump and 0.8v for the starter (couldn't test it properly as couldn't hold the multimeter and start it at the same time). So I now seem to have ruled out the fuel pump and the alarm which leaves me with the tilt sensor I think?

Just to clarify clutch, kill and sidestand switch all function as they should.

Anyone have anything else I should look for or tell me where the Yellow/Red wire from the fuel pump runs to?

Regards

phil24_7 27-09-12 12:41 PM

Is there any way I can manually fire up the fuel pump?

phil24_7 27-09-12 12:46 PM

Dealer mode reports no faults!

Sid Squid 27-09-12 01:22 PM

The pump is suspect, to make certain apply 12V to the pump, if it doesn't spin this will be confirmed. The dealer mode is not capable of showing a code shown for this.

I've diagnosed the same fault a couple of times, both have been after sitting unused for a while.

I'm struggling to understand why the alarm was ever suspect.

phil24_7 27-09-12 02:26 PM

It's usually the alarms fault when bikes don't start!

Which wire do I need to run 12v to? There are 3 wires to the fuel pump, an earth and 2 other wires. What are these for?

I thought the Yellow/Red wire was to prime the fuel pump? This one has no voltage on it when the ignition is on. The Yellow/Black wire has 12v, what is this one for?

The bike has only be sat for 2 months since the last time it was used!

Cheers for your help Sid.

phil24_7 27-09-12 02:31 PM

Incidentally...does anyone know if the K5 gixer fuel pump is the same? I have one of these in the cellar if it does!

Regards

mikeladhams 27-09-12 02:53 PM

Check the fuses. I had my SV cut out on me coming off of a slip road and the symptoms after that happened sound similar to yours. Just worth checking them if you haven't already :)

phil24_7 27-09-12 03:35 PM

Right, after reading a thread on svrider.com I have found out how to properly test the fuel pump. The 11.7v was for the fuel level indicator, the other wire was for the fuel pump. This is only live for a short time after the ignition is turned on. This showed over 12v when the ignition is turned on, so now I know the fuel pump is knacked. Apparently someone on svrider brought theirs back from the dead with some carb cleaner or easi start so I will read up on that thread before I try the same. Barring that, it will be a second hand pump from ebay unless the GSXR on fits!

Regards

Bibio 27-09-12 03:46 PM

if you think its the pump try disconnecting the fuel hose at TB end put in a container then connect a 12v feed to the pump and see if it actually pumps petrol out.