SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum (http://forums.sv650.org/index.php)
-   Idle Banter (http://forums.sv650.org/forumdisplay.php?f=116)
-   -   Gripe of the day - What is yours? (http://forums.sv650.org/showthread.php?t=212216)

Fruity-ya-ya 01-11-14 10:40 PM

Re: Gripe of the day - What is yours?

Potty training.

Not me, my youngest. I'd forgotten just how many changes of clothes they go through. The hurried sprints to try and get them over a potty before they tiddle all over the floor.

pookie 02-11-14 12:44 PM

having a sensible conversation about education and being beaten down to their level by their stupidity again :)
and its raining!

maviczap 02-11-14 10:34 PM

Didn't you have the same gripe the other day? Just without the rain? :p

Littlepeahead 03-11-14 07:40 AM

Mr LPH asking for a lift into town to the pub with 2 mates on Saturday night and then when we got there not allowing me to join them for one drink before I headed home again.

Apparently this was because I was already in my pajamas when he asked for a lift at 8.30 and he wasn't letting a 5'2" Tigger wearing slippers into the pub with him.

Yet the night before he was happy sitting in a pub full of people wearing onesies because it was Halloween.

NTECUK 03-11-14 08:48 AM

Traffic is pants cause of the school's being back

timwilky 03-11-14 08:59 AM

Condescending security on works car park.

Car has a pass on it, he waves me down and asks "Have you got a pass buddy?" Grrh, I am not his buddy, if he wants to address a complete stranger, sir is the appropriate form.

My reply, yes and drove off.

NTECUK 03-11-14 09:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by timwilky (Post 2987048)
Condescending security on works car park.

Car has a pass on it, he waves me down and asks "Have you got a pass buddy .

Buddy is like a freindly term.
It's better than having them as a "Mate ".

kaivalagi 03-11-14 07:00 PM

50's council house bathrooms....cemented in tiles have meant I now need to do a lot more work with the walls before the new tiles and bath suite can go in....I'll be glad when it's over!

maviczap 03-11-14 07:04 PM

Just get on with it and stop whinging :smt079 ;)

kaivalagi 03-11-14 08:06 PM

Quick Dry Cement here we come...

DarrenSV650S 03-11-14 08:34 PM

Just tile over the top of them

andrewsmith 03-11-14 08:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kaivalagi (Post 2987102)
50's council house bathrooms....cemented in tiles have meant I now need to do a lot more work with the walls before the new tiles and bath suite can go in....I'll be glad when it's over!

Tile over them or get an asbestos crew in

DarrenSV650S 03-11-14 09:21 PM

Yeh or you could just tile over them...

DarrenSV650S 03-11-14 09:22 PM

or you could tile over them

kaivalagi 03-11-14 09:49 PM

Or I could do it properly and remove the few rows of tiles and then tile the whole wall ;)

As for cast iron baths removal....glad I had ear plugs, that thing wasn't going down the stairs in one piece lol

andrewsmith 03-11-14 09:54 PM

Not crack it with a chisel?

kaivalagi 03-11-14 10:13 PM

Eventually, with a lump hammer and a sharpened 1" chisel, it was almost 1cm thick....it was like ringing a bloody church bell...even then I couldn't completely break it up, still left with the whole top of the bath without any bottom (half the weight)...easier to move about atleast :) Acrylic FTW!

No more bathroom gripes now, promise, the worst is over with...only thing to drive my patience now will be getting the 10mm twin & earth up from the eaves to the loft space for wiring in the shower...coat hanger, string, nut and swearing me thinks

andrewsmith 03-11-14 10:20 PM

Fishing rods

kaivalagi 03-11-14 10:35 PM

lol, now that might just work :)

punyXpress 03-11-14 10:43 PM

. . . or tie it to a squirrel's tail & say BOO ? ;)

Bibio 03-11-14 11:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kaivalagi (Post 2987163)
Eventually, with a lump hammer and a sharpened 1" chisel, it was almost 1cm thick....it was like ringing a bloody church bell...even then I couldn't completely break it up, still left with the whole top of the bath without any bottom (half the weight)...easier to move about atleast :) Acrylic FTW!

No more bathroom gripes now, promise, the worst is over with...only thing to drive my patience now will be getting the 10mm twin & earth up from the eaves to the loft space for wiring in the shower...coat hanger, string, nut and swearing me thinks

if your talking about breaking up an old cast bath then you put a wet blanket in the tub before you start to smash it up ;)

BanannaMan 04-11-14 02:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kaivalagi (Post 2987163)
..only thing to drive my patience now will be getting the 10mm twin & earth up from the eaves to the loft space for wiring in the shower

Wiring, in a shower?
I thought water came from pipes. :smt102

kaivalagi 04-11-14 07:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BanannaMan (Post 2987180)
Wiring, in a shower?
I thought water came from pipes. :smt102

An electric shower that takes just cold water and heats it itself using electricity? You not got those in the states lol

Littlepeahead 04-11-14 08:12 AM

Why would you want to get rid of a bath like that when they are solid and better made than anything you can buy now? We have huge ones in the dressing rooms at Lord's, and instead of replacing them had them restored, they are beautiful. Not that I've ever bathed in them, but I hear the screams when they are used as ice baths. :D

kaivalagi 04-11-14 08:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Littlepeahead (Post 2987198)
Why would you want to get rid of a bath like that when they are solid and better made than anything you can buy now? We have huge ones in the dressing rooms at Lord's, and instead of replacing them had them restored, they are beautiful. Not that I've ever bathed in them, but I hear the screams when they are used as ice baths. :D

I know, I looked and looked for a bath as deep and there aint any....all "eco" baths now...when I want to be eco I take a shower, when I want a soak a nice deep bath is lovely...but it's time was up, it would have cost a lot to get it restored (various chips and enamel cracks) plus the thing was imperial sized so standard mixer taps etc don't line up.....

Littlepeahead 04-11-14 08:52 AM

A shame. My sis in law did have her one re coated and sourced some vintage taps bit it wasn't in really poor condition, just discoloured. Now in our house we don't have a full size bath, it's about 2/3 size which is fine for a midget like me as I prefer the big walk in shower. Poor 6'2" Mr LPH looks very funny folded up in our little bath with his knees round his ears. But the bath mostly gets used for washing out the home brew equipment!

timwilky 04-11-14 08:54 AM

I know the pain of trying to remove an old cast iron bath and like you resorted to smashing it. I remember my old metallurgy lecturers saying cast iron was brittle. Not when you hit it with a lump hammer. You need a sharp edge to start it.

In my case I ran 16mm T&E, 10.5 kW shower. That was fun routing it up the cavity wall.

ophic 04-11-14 09:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Littlepeahead (Post 2987209)
But the bath mostly gets used for washing out the home brew equipment!

Funny that, I don't think our bath has actually been used for anything else since moving in in January.

We have 2 showers, before anyone wrinkles their nose. And we're too drunk to care anyway...

NTECUK 04-11-14 09:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kaivalagi (Post 2987207)
I know, I looked and looked for a bath as deep and there aint any....all "eco" baths now...when I want to be eco I take a shower, when I want a soak a nice deep bath is lovely...but it's time was up, it would have cost a lot to get it restored (various chips and enamel cracks) plus the thing was imperial sized so standard mixer taps etc don't line up.....

We ended up with a P bath. No sniggering at the back.
It's a bit strange as it keeps warmer longer so you get pruny body not just fingers....
Hang on that's old age I'm still wrinkley ;)
Dumped the instant shower for a power shower

maviczap 04-11-14 06:27 PM

People who go shopping and don't get more than one days worth of food and buy overpriced M&S ready made food :smt070

The fridge is still empty & I'm hungry

Nutsinatin 04-11-14 06:39 PM

As per my post yesterday, same NSL road, but this time with rain, stuck behind a 25 mph car and a 19 mph car. Then coming round a corner nearly rear ended a Van traveling at 14 mph with no lights on, in the pitch black with no street lights. I wondered how these people got away with it until I saw some idiot had managed to roll his Fiat 500 on a straight stretch of this road this morning. Madness. I know there is considering and driving to conditions, but these are not 20% of the speed limit conditions. I wish the van was the only vehicle I saw tonight with no lights but there were more offenders, I don't remember it so bad last year.

DomP 04-11-14 06:53 PM

I can never understand people's judgement regarding when to use lights, any doubt stick em on.

Do police ever pull people for doing too far under the stated speed limit, is just as dangerous as excessive speed.

Spank86 04-11-14 07:23 PM

People who offer you a cup of tea and then give you earl grey.

It always tastes like dirty dishwater to me.

littleoldman2 04-11-14 07:31 PM

Down your way it will. Earl Grey is a blend for Northumberland water.

Phoenix22 04-11-14 07:44 PM

Customers who phone & say I need a job doing urgently ASAP & then you can never pin them to a time when they will be in!!!!

Littlepeahead 04-11-14 07:58 PM

Re: Re: Gripe of the day - What is yours?

Quote:

Originally Posted by DomP (Post 2987305)
I can never understand people's judgement regarding when to use lights, any doubt stick em on.

Do police ever pull people for doing too far under the stated speed limit, is just as dangerous as excessive speed.

My car decides when to put the lights on, as soon as it gets dull or I go into a tunnel they come on. Then when I park and walk away from the car they switch off. Super. Until I use another car and then I just know I'll be forgetting to put them on or waking away from the car without switching them off and coming back to a flat battery.

NTECUK 04-11-14 10:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Littlepeahead (Post 2987316)
My car decides when to put the lights on,.

People who get so lazy they forget to take off the handbrake as the other car does it automaticly
:mad:

BanannaMan 04-11-14 11:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kaivalagi (Post 2987190)
An electric shower that takes just cold water and heats it itself using electricity? You not got those in the states lol

Nope, never seen one.
Does it have a tank that the water is heated in or is the water heated as used?

maviczap 05-11-14 01:38 AM

Heated as it's used Bill.

Mine for today.

Starting a night shift at 02:00, I've only dropped off to slleep about an hour before my alarm has woken me up, it's raining and there's a thunderstorm rumbling on. Tired and grumpy.

BanannaMan 05-11-14 02:21 AM

Electricity must be much more affordable.
To be able to heat water as used would kill you on your leccy bill here.

I've worked night shift. I think I was tired and grumpy the entire time.