SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum (http://forums.sv650.org/index.php)
-   Idle Banter (http://forums.sv650.org/forumdisplay.php?f=116)
-   -   Smile of the day - What is yours? (http://forums.sv650.org/showthread.php?t=214956)

maviczap 09-11-16 05:21 PM

Re: Smile of the day - What is yours?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Corny Gizmo (Post 3057457)
Finally got round to upgrading my A2 licence yesterday. Had the MOD 1 at 11:10 - Passed with no minors, MOD 2 was at 13:35 - Passed with 3 minors.

Happy days!

Well done!

BanannaMan 10-11-16 02:08 AM

Had to stop for a bear in the road on the way home from work.
They are beautiful creatures!
It seemed quite surprised, it was very windy and obviously the bear didn't hear me approaching.
Of course it ran off into the forest before I could the phone out and take a pic.
About 1/2 mile from my house.

Supposed to bring good luck.
Saw one earlier this year and must admit, did have the most amazing time in years soon thereafter.

Littlepeahead 10-11-16 06:56 AM

As in good luck because it ran off instead of thinking you were the bear equivalent of a Deliveroo?

carelesschucca 10-11-16 09:43 AM

No wonder it ran away. Bears don't expect to meet nice liberal minded people, that won't shoot them.

Red ones 10-11-16 06:03 PM

Christmas is coming!

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/2016...73daf740f7.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BanannaMan 11-11-16 02:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by carelesschucca (Post 3057502)
No wonder it ran away. Bears don't expect to meet nice liberal minded people, that won't shoot them.

Not legal to hunt bears in the county I live in, but I have no problem shooting all the possums, skunks and snakes that try to take over my property.

But no, I would not shoot a bear. Bears are not pests at all and rarely will confront a human unless you invade the bear's territory or get between it and food or it's babies.
Black Bears are killed as trophies and for no other reason.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Littlepeahead (Post 3057495)
As in good luck because it ran off instead of thinking you were the bear equivalent of a Deliveroo?

haha! I have little doubt that's probably where the superstition came from as it was originally "good luck if you cross paths with a bear".

Cross paths with a bear in the forest and the bear will run away every time, continuing along on it's way and avoiding any conflict.
You do not however want to be on the same path as the bear.
Approach a bear (or let a bear approach you) and there will be a confrontation.
Run from a bear and you become prey (food).
So it makes sense it would have been good luck the bear was headed off in another direction when you encountered it.

Now days people have adapted that to 'It's good luck to see a bear' because most people no longer have the occasion to cross paths with a bear and it's rare to see one.

Truthfully the American Black Bear is a much maligned creature and provided you don't act like or smell like food the bear will avoid you, in the unlikely event that you encounter one at all.

shiftin_gear98 11-11-16 09:33 AM

I was lucky enough to see a mother and her 3 babies in tow when in Sequoia NP. A magic moment. I can still picture it clearly and that was 2002. The ranger at the lodge was very put out when we told him, he'd worked there 8 years and never seen one! No idea why anyone would want to shoot one.

Kenzie 13-11-16 06:53 PM

My wife has just slow cooked a chicken for dinner. OMG it is amazing!

Sir Trev 13-11-16 06:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kenzie (Post 3057702)
My wife has just slow cooked a chicken for dinner. OMG it is amazing!

What time do you want us all to arrive?

Kenzie 13-11-16 07:14 PM

Too late, all gone!