SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum (http://forums.sv650.org/index.php)
-   Idle Banter (http://forums.sv650.org/forumdisplay.php?f=116)
-   -   Gripe of the day - What is yours? (http://forums.sv650.org/showthread.php?t=212216)

maviczap 05-11-14 05:32 AM

Re: Gripe of the day - What is yours?

It'll still kill you on your leccy bill here, but it's cheaper than filling the bath up with hot water.

andrewsmith 05-11-14 06:52 AM

Or using the gas

BanannaMan 05-11-14 07:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by maviczap (Post 2987357)
but it's cheaper than filling the bath up with hot water

Here too but hot water to a bath or shower is piped in seperately from a (usually electric) storage water heater as its cheaper to keep a reservoir of hot water at temperature than to constantly heat cold water.
Disadvantge is , its a limited supply before it turns cold.
I had to add a second water when we added new bath and laundry rooms to the house.
Newer gas water heaters claim to heat water faster than used though.

kaivalagi 05-11-14 07:47 AM

If I had a combination boiler I would have gone with a direct hot/cold feed but as is via a storage tank and I don't heat water all the time it made sense to have an electric shower for quick 5min showers in the moring

ophic 05-11-14 09:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BanannaMan (Post 2987363)
Here too but hot water to a bath or shower is piped in seperately from a (usually electric) storage water heater as its cheaper to keep a reservoir of hot water at temperature than to constantly heat cold water.

Bit of a fallacy there.

It's cheaper to keep a large tank hot than to constantly let it go cold and heat it up when you need it, assuming you need it reasonably often. Also there's the convenience factor as you'd have to wait while it heated up.

Heating water as it runs through a narrow pipe on demand only heats the water you actually use, as you are using it. Much more efficient than a tank, even given the fact that electricity is about 3 times more expensive than gas over here.

In fact combi boilers work on a similar principle here as well - only with gas. Heated as you need it. There's no tank. It's done for efficiency as it's expensive over here and it keeps the greenies happy.

This article points out that the US pays less than half of what we do in the UK.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-24238708

and it's from the BBC so it must be right :)

NTECUK 05-11-14 09:35 AM

Instant electric shower is just reliant on the mains water pressure.
Round hear it's pants so that's why we have a power shower.

Heorot 05-11-14 09:52 AM

We installed Solar panels on the roof and we get paid for 50% of what we generate. We usually use all we generate during the day running our computers, However, for when are not using it, we bought a device attached to our hot water tank that detect electricity going from the roof the the grid and uses it to heat the water in the hot water tank.

We reckon that we will recover our outlay just from the payments in under 5 years and thats not counting our reduced electricity bills.

ophic 05-11-14 10:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NTECUK (Post 2987374)
Instant electric shower is just reliant on the mains water pressure.
Round hear it's pants so that's why we have a power shower.

Not allowed to pump direct off the mains. Power showers are great if you have a water tank though.

NTECUK 05-11-14 11:05 AM

It's not that difficult to do.
It's just a separate dedicated cold freed from the storage tank that is in the loft that supplies the hot tank.
I did fit another tank in parallel to give me another 50 lts.
The biggest ach was fitting the flange in the hot water tank.

Sir Trev 05-11-14 12:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DomP (Post 2987305)
Do police ever pull people for doing too far under the stated speed limit, is just as dangerous as excessive speed.

They can indeed. Mate's Dad was done for doing about 40 on a free-flowing stretch of motorway.

Littlepeahead 05-11-14 05:20 PM

I have Blur's Parklife stuck in my head. It's going round and round and round... all thanks to the Russell Brand Twitter thing, which I have found very funny.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/pe...d-9838182.html

But it's so catchy I just can't get rid of it. And even though I love Blur this is a major earworm problem.

maviczap 05-11-14 05:24 PM

You need to play it on a device to get it out of your head

Tomor 05-11-14 06:37 PM

People who drive with fog lights on at night........ When it not foggy. I think it should be 3 points and £200 fine. They obviously know they are doing it as they don't turn on automatically!!!

Sent from my magical portable device

DarrenSV650S 05-11-14 06:42 PM

I don't get why people get so annoyed about fog lights. They're not that bright and don't cause any more glare than dipped headlights

Teejayexc 05-11-14 07:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DarrenSV650S (Post 2987442)
I don't get why people get so annoyed about fog lights. They're not that bright and don't cause any more glare than dipped headlights

If you're sat behind 'em in towns they're a pain in the ar5e, especially at traffic lights, (similar to muppets who sit witheir foot on the brakes!)

Wtf is that all about?

ophic 05-11-14 08:03 PM

Have to in an automatic

Teejayexc 05-11-14 08:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ophic (Post 2987447)
Have to in an automatic

No you don't. Have you heard of the 'park' option!

ophic 05-11-14 08:29 PM

Gets transmission slack so isn't the same as a brake. Also causes wear shifting in and out. Spose you could stick it in neutral and use the handbrake but who's gonna do that? They're supposed to be easier. And no one is taught to do that.

Littlepeahead 05-11-14 08:56 PM

Re: Re: Gripe of the day - What is yours?

Quote:

Originally Posted by maviczap (Post 2987432)
You need to play it on a device to get it out of your head

I've tried that. I've also tried listening to 'This is a Low' as I thought the shopping forecast references would clear it but to no avail. I'm going to see Damon Albarn at the Royal Albert Hall next weekend, maybe that will help.

Teejayexc 05-11-14 09:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ophic (Post 2987450)
Spose you could stick it in neutral and use the handbrake but who's gonna do that?

What do you do in a geared car then, stick it in neutral and put your foot on the brake?

ophic 05-11-14 09:22 PM

Clutch in and handbrake normally. Manuals don't creep.

NTECUK 05-11-14 11:10 PM

Sitting in A&R for most of the night.

Sir Trev 06-11-14 01:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DarrenSV650S (Post 2987442)

When you're on a busy motorway in the rain, with lunatics cutting in and out of lanes and diving for exits at the last second, you already have too much going on to be able to work out if it's a brake light or illegally used fog light crossing your path. They are a distraction and certainly very annoying. Plus some of them are the same intensity as a lighthouse.

NTECUK 06-11-14 01:04 PM

Fog lights mounted next to the stop lights are a menace for the reasons above

atassiedevil 06-11-14 01:13 PM

Iz it becuz i got HID fog lights, innit?

DarrenSV650S 06-11-14 04:18 PM

I've done a lot of motorway commuting, through all weathers, all year round, on very busy roads and it's never bothered me.

NTECUK 06-11-14 04:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DarrenSV650S (Post 2987548)
I've done a lot of motorway commuting, through all weathers, all year round, on very busy roads and it's never bothered me.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=fHYYkZpZGjo

YouTube Video
Error: If you cannot see this video, then either YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed to play it.

DarrenSV650S 06-11-14 05:06 PM

umm yea

Freakin UPS. They have access points all over Aberdeen but they won't bring it any closer than Dundee. Even though they will be bringing it back up here tomorrow to attempt a second delivery, they can't just drop it off. I don't think I'll be using them ever

Phoenix22 06-11-14 05:31 PM

That reminds me what really ****es me off............Parcel force admin fee. Ordered £200 worth of stuff from Webike japan. The duty was and extra £36 fair enough but PF bunged another £16 on top of that for admin charges. Robbing gits, that's on top of the postal charges they had been paid for.

maviczap 06-11-14 06:58 PM

Yes, I'd been stung the same for some T shirts from the states

Littlepeahead 07-11-14 08:24 AM

I'm on the bus wearing a silky dress with a silk petticoat and the driver thinks she's Lewis Hamilton. Every time she slams on the brakes I slide across the seat like slug coated in KY jelly nearly ending up on the floor with my dress up round my thighs. So I've now had to brace myself against the seat in front with my knees.

This woman needs some bus driver training!

ophic 07-11-14 09:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Littlepeahead (Post 2987631)
I'm on the bus wearing a silky dress

There were more words there but they seemed irrelevant... ;)

NTECUK 07-11-14 09:41 AM

People who sit behind you on the bus and keep pushing into the back of your seat with thier knees ;)

Littlepeahead 07-11-14 09:52 AM

Luckily I was in the back row so the people in front didn't see, and most of them were too preoccupied assuming the airline brace position as well!

NTECUK 07-11-14 10:02 AM

Not on the train today then?

NTECUK 07-11-14 10:04 AM

Siblings who are intent on bleeding your parent dry.

atassiedevil 07-11-14 10:12 AM

Siblings who say that working is a "mugs game" and expect everything handed to them on a plate.

Of course saying "how is that working out for you, not having your own home, living in your sisters spare room, and being unable to take your children on holiday or buy them christmas presents?" doesn't go down that well. Some people want everything, and not to have to earn it.

ophic 07-11-14 10:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by atassiedevil (Post 2987647)
Some people want everything, and not to have to earn it.

I want that. Who doesn't?

Difference is I don't expect it.

timwilky 07-11-14 10:46 AM

Children who come home, don't treat the place like a hotel. Hotel guests pay their bill. Stomp around the place like bloody teenagers.

I didn't mind her coming home at weekends, that way she can take me and the lads to football with her. But monday to friday as well when there are no mid week games.

Still she mentioned mortgages last night and the old guys house down the road that is now empty. No No No, 4 doors away with a do upper. We will never be rid. And I will never get any peace.

NTECUK 07-11-14 11:59 AM

That's kids for you.
Look at it like when you are too old to get about .. They can pop round and put you on your commode .. .. ..