SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum (http://forums.sv650.org/index.php)
-   Idle Banter (http://forums.sv650.org/forumdisplay.php?f=116)
-   -   INTERESTING FACT OF THE DAY (http://forums.sv650.org/showthread.php?t=67081)

punyXpress 08-04-18 07:47 PM

Re: INTERESTING FACT OF THE DAY

8th April 1968
Barbara Jane Harrison, aged 22, was a flight attendant on Flight 712 to Sydney, Australia from Heathrow. Within a minute from takeoff number 2 engine on the Boeing 707 caught fire and fell from the port wing. Within 2.5 minutes the plane landed back at Heathrow. The fire was beyond control and passengers were being evacuated. Due to an escape chute partial failure, Jane was the only person helping at the rear escape door including literally pushing passengers out. Eventually there were just four, including a disabled person in a wheelchair, out of over 200 but she still didn't save herself - she stayed at her post.
For her selfless and heroic action, she was posthumously awarded the George Cross, one of only 4 women to receive it, the youngest and the only one in peacetime.

punyXpress 14-04-18 08:40 AM

Enoch Powell - remember him?

Tom_the_great 22-05-18 03:19 PM

Hello Folks, I'm going to try and keep this going and post some lighter hearted facts (as we have more than enough rubbish from the news).

On this day In 1946 George Best, former Northern Ireland and Manchester United football player was born. When he was once asked what happened to the money he had earned, Best replied - 'I spent a lot of money on booze, birds and fast cars. The rest I just squandered.'

Tom_the_great 23-05-18 08:00 AM

In 1956 The first large-scale nuclear power station was opened at Calder Hall, Cumbria.

It was decommissioned today 23rd May after producing electricity for almost 50 years

Tom_the_great 25-05-18 08:25 AM

The smallest penguin on the planet is only 16 inches tall...

Which is only an inch taller then a standard bowling pin!

Heorot 09-08-18 01:49 PM

In this day in history “Bockscar” left the island of Tinien and dropped “Fat Man” on Nagasaki.

Heorot 09-08-18 01:50 PM

In this day in history “Bockscar” left the island of Tinien and dropped “Fat Man” on Nagasaki.

punyXpress 21-10-18 04:34 PM

This day in 1805 the English Navy defeated the combined French and Spanish Navies at the Battle of Trafalgar.
The news of the victory was conveyed to Falmouth aboard HMS Pickle and from there by a relay of post chaise and four to the Admiralty in London.
This arrived in the early hours of 6th November.
. . if only they'd had a mobile signal!
and what a good Bank Holiday Trafalgar Day would be!

Heorot 06-08-19 03:03 PM

Paul Tibbets, the commander of Enola Gay, drops the first atomic bomb on Hiroshima, Japan.

gadget 10-12-20 08:11 AM

The older I get, the faster I was .... fact !