SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum (http://forums.sv650.org/index.php)
-   Idle Banter (http://forums.sv650.org/forumdisplay.php?f=116)
-   -   Fortress Britain (http://forums.sv650.org/showthread.php?t=100234)

Flamin_Squirrel 15-11-07 01:54 PM

Re: Fortress Britain

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jester666 (Post 1341630)
Extra security checks are a fact of life now. We just have to deal with it. How many years have we had the steel curtain in London for? Anyone complaining about it? Not any more, we got used to it just as we'll get used to the hightened security.

That's what the government is counting on, it's called conditioning, but that certainly doesn't make it right.

Quite frankly, I object to having large wadges of cash being routinely stolen from me by the government for them to spend on spying on me.

The government don't even know, asside from their own shamless desire to control us to the nth degree, why all this spying and security is necesary. They were following the 7/7 bombers and still failed to stop them. They want to increase detention too, yet as I understand no-ones yet been held up to the 28 day limit. What's the point?

Other than new and exciting ways to blow a few billion quid, what's any of this actually supposed to achieve? They're too incompetant to impliment their existing powers when necessary, and abuse their powers when they aren't.

Jester666 15-11-07 01:54 PM

And the Old Testament is...?

licoricepizza 15-11-07 02:06 PM

George W Bush: http://www.bbc.co.uk/pressoffice/pre.../06/bush.shtml

Our foreign policy is to blame, but religion and belief plays a role in that policy. George W Bush is a United Methodist and talked to god (see the link above). Tony Blair prayed about his decision to go to war, is prepared to be judged by god and is allegedly converting to Catholicism. Is it right to have people in such powerful positions with such strong beliefs? I don't think so, religion and politics should be kept entirely separate.

If I talk to god I'm praying, if he talks to me, I'm crazy.

Jester666 15-11-07 02:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by licoricepizza (Post 1341687)
If I talk to god I'm praying, if he talks to me, I'm crazy.

Very true!! :D

hovis 15-11-07 02:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jester666 (Post 1341662)

Fiction

;)

licoricepizza 15-11-07 02:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gettin2dizzy (Post 1341639)
To be a fundamentalist you have to believe in the fundamentals of a religion, ie believeing the word of the Koran and acting on it. Not only do Muslims fundamentally believe the Koran, but Shariah law enforces it. I don't see how that can not be a fundamentalist religion.

How do you solve a problem like Sharia?

Jester666 15-11-07 02:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hovis (Post 1341693)
Fiction

;)

Thanks!! :thumbsup: But people still believe it!?

Lissa 15-11-07 02:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by licoricepizza (Post 1341696)
How do you solve a problem like Sharia?

PMSL.

Sat at home with the lurgy feeling totally pants, and that has really made me laugh:D

Pedrosa 15-11-07 02:11 PM

But rather than criticising suggestions being made, or methods in place already, does no one have a potentially workable option other than the...

"it's the government intervening again blah,blah vitriol?":confused:

gettin2dizzy 15-11-07 02:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jester666 (Post 1341662)

That's why I find it funny that Christians hold such strong beliefs with no idea what this old book of twaddle actually says! Well done to Islam for enforcing education about your religion! I mean that! :D

As for a solution ? I don't think we can allow religions which cannot integrate with society to operate in this country at all. The fundamentalist nature and barbaric texts do not comply with the modern world. In this country you are free, that differs from free to force your religious views on to others (I am aware of the irony here ;))